Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Glue/cement to use?

Hotpoint Aquarius whasher/dryer which has developed a leak at the front
corner, by the soap dispenser. I have traced it to the wide black
rubber pipe, leading down from the soap dispenser, between the soap
dispenser flange and the black pipe. Rather oddly - It doesn't leak on
filling, but on spin when I guess water is thrown back up the pipe.

The black pipe is a soft plastic rubbery type of material fitting over
a hard plastic spout on the soap dispenser. Both show signs of having
been sealed or glued together in manufacture and the plastic spout
looks as if whatever glue was used partially dissolved the plastic as
in the cement used to join the old Airfix kits.

What glue should I use to repair it please?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield formulated the question :
Hotpoint Aquarius whasher/dryer which has developed a leak at the front
corner, by the soap dispenser. I have traced it to the wide black rubber
pipe, leading down from the soap dispenser, between the soap dispenser flange
and the black pipe. Rather oddly - It doesn't leak on filling, but on spin
when I guess water is thrown back up the pipe.

The black pipe is a soft plastic rubbery type of material fitting over a hard
plastic spout on the soap dispenser. Both show signs of having been sealed or
glued together in manufacture and the plastic spout looks as if whatever glue
was used partially dissolved the plastic as in the cement used to join the
old Airfix kits.

What glue should I use to repair it please?

I decided to fix that problem by binding it with thin galv steel wire,
but it is still flooding on a fast spin, via the soap dispenser door -
which means water is being thrown up the black pipe from the drum,, so
my next question is....

WHY?

I've managed to remove the pipe at the drum and from what I can see
there are baffles in the bottom end of the pipe and inside the spigot
on the drum to prevent it flying back. All seems clean and baffles are
moulded in. Water fill level is just nicely onto the lens of the glass
door, so I don't think that's the problem.

.....and no it is not the motor brushes :-)

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield writes:
Harry Bloomfield formulated the question :
Hotpoint Aquarius whasher/dryer which has developed a leak at the front
corner, by the soap dispenser. I have traced it to the wide black rubber
pipe, leading down from the soap dispenser, between the soap dispenser flange
and the black pipe. Rather oddly - It doesn't leak on filling, but on spin
when I guess water is thrown back up the pipe.

The black pipe is a soft plastic rubbery type of material fitting over a hard
plastic spout on the soap dispenser. Both show signs of having been sealed or
glued together in manufacture and the plastic spout looks as if whatever glue
was used partially dissolved the plastic as in the cement used to join the
old Airfix kits.

What glue should I use to repair it please?

Hotpoint spare parts are dirt cheap (compared with most other makes,
and providing you don't choose a rip-off supplier). Just order a new one.

CPC is usually very good for Hotpoint spares, but you have to phone
the order line (01772 654455) as most of their white goods spares are
not online or in the catalogue, and even if you know the CPC part number,
they can't be ordered online.

I decided to fix that problem by binding it with thin galv steel wire,
but it is still flooding on a fast spin, via the soap dispenser door -
which means water is being thrown up the black pipe from the drum,, so
my next question is....

WHY?

It's like a big centrifugal fan.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Apr, 13:41, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
Hotpoint Aquarius whasher/dryer which has developed a leak at the front
corner, by the soap dispenser. I have traced it to the wide black
rubber pipe, leading down from the soap dispenser, between the soap
dispenser flange and the black pipe. Rather oddly - It doesn't leak on
filling, but on spin when I guess water is thrown back up the pipe.

The black pipe is a soft plastic rubbery type of material fitting over
a hard plastic spout on the soap dispenser. Both show signs of having
been sealed or glued together in manufacture and the plastic spout
looks as if whatever glue was used partially dissolved the plastic as
in the cement used to join the old Airfix kits.

What glue should I use to repair it please?

--
Regards,
* * * * Harry (M1BYT) (L)http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Are you sure the filter isn't blocked? I fixed an Aquarius with this
problem about two weeks ago - one of the symptoms was a leak from the
drawer. The filter (which is well hidden) was blocked, and when the
machine tried to drain, water from the drum couldn't get out fast
enough and was getting forced back up the small tube from the soap
drawer that you're talking about. To get to the filter you need to
take the back off the machine, and you'll find it inside the black
rubber "funnel" (near the bottom) connected to the drain from the
drum. Unscrew the large jubilee clip and inside there you'll find a
plastic arrangement which is the filter. (It's a pretty awful design,
having a filter that for any but the adventurous needs an engineer
call-out to unblock).

Cheers!

Martin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

my next question is....

WHY?

"Hotpoint"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Apr, 15:13, Martin Pentreath
wrote:

Are you sure the filter isn't blocked? I fixed an Aquarius with this
problem about two weeks ago - one of the symptoms was a leak from the
drawer. The filter (which is well hidden) was blocked, and when the
machine tried to drain, water from the drum couldn't get out fast
enough and was getting forced back up the small tube from the soap
drawer that you're talking about.

A blocked filter can throw off pipes due to the pressure. It's the
first thing to check and never the first one to be checked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer expressed precisely :
wrote:

Are you sure the filter isn't blocked? I fixed an Aquarius with this
problem about two weeks ago - one of the symptoms was a leak from the
drawer. The filter (which is well hidden) was blocked, and when the
machine tried to drain, water from the drum couldn't get out fast
enough and was getting forced back up the small tube from the soap
drawer that you're talking about.

A blocked filter can throw off pipes due to the pressure. It's the
first thing to check and never the first one to be checked.

My thanks to both. An after thought about the problem was that it
perhaps didn't ought to be trying to spin with the drum still
containing some water - the filter slowing down (but not stopping the
water going out) might seem to be a logical cause. I had heard that
there was a filter, but I have yet to actually find it.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield formulated on Saturday :
wrote:

Are you sure the filter isn't blocked? I fixed an Aquarius with this
problem about two weeks ago - one of the symptoms was a leak from the
drawer. The filter (which is well hidden) was blocked, and when the
machine tried to drain, water from the drum couldn't get out fast
enough and was getting forced back up the small tube from the soap
drawer that you're talking about.

A blocked filter can throw off pipes due to the pressure. It's the
first thing to check and never the first one to be checked.

My thanks to both. An after thought about the problem was that it perhaps
didn't ought to be trying to spin with the drum still containing some water -
the filter slowing down (but not stopping the water going out) might seem to
be a logical cause. I had heard that there was a filter, but I have yet to
actually find it.

Spot on, thanks

2x bra extender thingummies, 2x wall plugs, 2x £1, 1x 20p, 5x 2p, 4x 1p
and a mush of cardboard that might have had some bank note mixed in
with it. All working fine now. Should anyone be suffering similar...

There is a plastic moulded panel at the bottom rear, held by two
screws. Drain as much water as possible out of the machine first by
lowering the drain hose and raising and propping up the rear to improve
access. Then loosen the large jubilee clip to the right of the motor,
to release the filter. The filter is in the large black flexible hose
and once released simply pulls out.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

aren't there usually "water level sensors" to deal with this? i.e. not
start spinning til water level is appropriate....?

Cheers
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JimK presented the following explanation :
aren't there usually "water level sensors" to deal with this? i.e. not
start spinning til water level is appropriate....?

You would think so, but it seems not. It seems to just rely upon
allowing enough time for the water to be pumped out, then starts the
spin. It seems to have sensing of two levels only - which I assume are
the water levels for a full load and the other for a part load. No
sensing at all to prove there is no water in it.

The machine is out of the way in the utility room, so problems tend to
go unnoticed. She has complained for several weeks that it had been
flooding. I traced the flood to around the area of the soap dispenser
so I wrongly assumed it was due to the fill water rushing in too
quickly and restricted the flow - which did seem to cure it. Since then
she has complained that it keeps stopping mid program, which had me
assuming the machine was assuming the water level wasn't being achieved
in a quick enough time. Readjusting the flow didn't seem to help and
the stopping problem got worse.

Then it started to flood again this past couple of weeks as well as the
stopping, so I thought I would take another look at it. I'm fairly
convinced I have sorted the flooding, but I don't have an explanation
for it stopping. Since cleaning the filter I ran it through several
problem free cycles.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

Another thing to watch for is the vanes in the drain pumps, which can be
stopped by surprisingly minor things (on our Electrolux they are easy to
take apart and unclog though...- on a Hotpoint I recall it requiring
flooding the kitchen to get at,)

Oh, and we found that Sainsburys green 'bio'sachets (put in the drum with
the washing) made foam spew out of the 'soap dispenser' tray whether the
filters were blocked or not. Some detergents are just different from
others,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Are you sure the filter isn't blocked? I fixed an Aquarius with this
problem about two weeks ago - one of the symptoms was a leak from the
drawer. The filter (which is well hidden) was blocked, and when the
machine tried to drain, water from the drum couldn't get out fast
enough and was getting forced back up the small tube from the soap
drawer that you're talking about.

A blocked filter can throw off pipes due to the pressure. It's the
first thing to check and never the first one to be checked.

My thanks to both. An after thought about the problem was that it
perhaps didn't ought to be trying to spin with the drum still
containing some water - the filter slowing down (but not stopping the
water going out) might seem to be a logical cause. I had heard that
there was a filter, but I have yet to actually find it.

Glad it worked out for you. In my case (where there were various other
symptoms) I was all set to declare the machine past the end of its
natural life and buy a new one until I found that well hidden filter
rammed with five years worth of crud. Unfortunately my job was not so
lucrative, I only came out of it with two corroded five pence pieces.