Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ryobi Expand-It Hedgecutter - spare parts?

Hi,

My hedge cutter sadly has been abused to death (by me). Without having
dismantled it fully, it sounds like a stripped gear in the head that
converts the rotary power coming up the shaft to reciprocating motion.
Could also be the clutch...

But before I sacrifice a morning and make a big greasy mess on the kitchen
table, *can* you get parts for these things?

I've googled to death for AHF02 (the model) and Expandit Hedge trimmer
spares and nothing...

Ta

Tim

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
Hi,

My hedge cutter sadly has been abused to death (by me). Without having
dismantled it fully, it sounds like a stripped gear in the head that
converts the rotary power coming up the shaft to reciprocating motion.
Could also be the clutch...

But before I sacrifice a morning and make a big greasy mess on the kitchen
table, *can* you get parts for these things?

I've googled to death for AHF02 (the model) and Expandit Hedge trimmer
spares and nothing...

Ta

Tim

Have you tried the cunningly disguised http://ryobispares.com

or even http://www.shouldersofshoreham.co.uk...Bamp.mvc?c=Ry?

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin
wibbled on Wednesday 07 April 2010 17:10

Tim Watts wrote:
Hi,

My hedge cutter sadly has been abused to death (by me). Without having
dismantled it fully, it sounds like a stripped gear in the head that
converts the rotary power coming up the shaft to reciprocating motion.
Could also be the clutch...

But before I sacrifice a morning and make a big greasy mess on the
kitchen table, *can* you get parts for these things?

I've googled to death for AHF02 (the model) and Expandit Hedge trimmer
spares and nothing...

Ta

Tim

Have you tried the cunningly disguised http://ryobispares.com

Oddly, very disguised - they didn't come up. But genius on you for the link
- ta.

Device seems to have a code name of HS1100 and it has to be one of two gears
that's stripped:

http://ryobispares.com/assets/applets/HS1100.PDF

I'll search the actual device for model numbers, but that looks like the
device alright, but the RRP on each of those gears is 23 quid (+VAT I
expect). Still, it's cheaper than a new device if it's only one gear and I
bet it's the little pinion gear. Seems to have no clutch which seems poor
for something that *will* jam occasionally in normal use, on an oversized
twig. Probably why the gear is (almost certainly) stripped...

or even http://www.shouldersofshoreham.co.uk...Bamp.mvc?c=Ry?

Did find them and drew a blank, but now that I know Ryobi refer to this as
an HS1100, they do list the gears. 35 quid each!!!! Nearly as much as the
device cost (Ok was on special offer). Rediculous - the device is eminently
serviceable and there is no way a gear should cost more than 10 quid. Should
be a law against that (especially an eco-law).

I'll strip it down and see what gives - thanks very much

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts
wibbled on Wednesday 07 April 2010 17:53

Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Or I could by a new trimmer attachment from ebay for 47 quid (just found)
and break my old one for spares... For all the wittering on by all the
political parties and tree shaggers, none of them address one big issue that
always gets my goat: that being everyone would rather I dump a 95% good bit
of equipment in landfill for the want of a small part that *could* be sold
to me for its true cost plus a modest profit margin...

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

indeed.....profits makes taxes makes "suck-cess"........

cheers
JimK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob

Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Hi Tim,

At the risk of sounding a smartar$e, I found both links by just putting
'ryobi spares' into google.

Hope it works out OK

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin
wibbled on Wednesday 07 April 2010 19:41

Hi Tim,

At the risk of sounding a smartar$e, I found both links by just putting
'ryobi spares' into google.

Hope it works out OK

Bob

Ha - there you go Bob... Realising that Ryobi make lots of stuff, I tried to
be a smarter arse and put "ExpandIt Ryobi Spare Parts" and variations in...

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Apr, 15:36, Tim Watts wrote:
But before I sacrifice a morning and make a big greasy mess on the kitchen
table, *can* you get parts for these things?

My local lawnmower shop (Redblade, near Southport) has obtained Ryobi
bits for me in the past. They have a big book of everything, it does
show up in the end, but they always complain about Ryobi being awkward
to get the parts for.

Quite often though, I've fixed a Ryobi by machining a new part from
scratch - and better than theirs was. My fasteners don't shake loose
like theirs do.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I just bought ExpandIT stuff on eBay ... tried there ?

The official Ryobi spares seller is:
Augmented Agents limited

Augmented Agents Ltd.
Manchester Road
Heaton Norris
Stockport
SK4 1NL

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Hi,

My hedge cutter sadly has been abused to death (by me). Without having
dismantled it fully, it sounds like a stripped gear in the head that
converts the rotary power coming up the shaft to reciprocating motion.
Could also be the clutch...

But before I sacrifice a morning and make a big greasy mess on the kitchen
table, *can* you get parts for these things?

I've googled to death for AHF02 (the model) and Expandit Hedge trimmer
spares and nothing...

Ta

Tim

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
For all the wittering on by all the
political parties and tree shaggers, none of them address one big issue that
always gets my goat: that being everyone would rather I dump a 95% good bit
of equipment in landfill for the want of a small part

The problem is that 95% of people would chuck the "broken" item and
never even think of repairing it. Witness the Pollyfilla advert I saw
the other day aimed at twenty-something couples who find even filling a
small crack in a wall a complete mystery without phoning their dad.

Pete

RYOBI Expand It kit Rick Hughes UK diy 9 October 20th 09 01:44 PM
gas fire spare parts Arthur2 UK diy 4 January 13th 08 07:59 PM
Spare parts for old Beckman DMM mc Electronics Repair 1 May 10th 06 10:29 AM
Spare parts. The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 11 November 24th 05 12:07 PM
If we go to war with Ch**a where will all the spare parts come from? Rooster Metalworking 20 May 10th 05 02:40 AM