Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Panasonic TV, no sound problem

A kind soul gave me a flat screen CRT Panasonic TV.

The picture is good, but there is no sound, only "noise".

If I plug a PS2 into the TV, I hear everything in the games loud and
clear as normal.

Also there is no Scart socket for a digi box, but I have an adaptor
which enabled me too use the red/white/yellow cable from the digi box
to the TV. Still no sound on the channels.

Any hope ?

Mike P the 1st
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike P the 1st wrote:
A kind soul gave me a flat screen CRT Panasonic TV.

The picture is good, but there is no sound, only "noise".

Sounds like a tuner fault. If there is noise, chances are the speaker and
audio amp are ok.

If I plug a PS2 into the TV, I hear everything in the games loud and
clear as normal.

Right - so the audio side is ok.

Also there is no Scart socket for a digi box, but I have an adaptor
which enabled me too use the red/white/yellow cable from the digi box
to the TV. Still no sound on the channels.

Are you sure that adaptor is wired correctly for that task? SCART sockets
have stereo in and out, and composite video in and out too. As well as RGB
etc. The most usual type would be to feed a games machine into a SCART
socket - rather than the output from a SCART to a games input on a TV,
IMHO. And although both have the same plugs, the wiring within the SCART
is different. Maplin used to sell ones which could be switched to either
input or output.

Any hope ?

If you can solder and want to have a go at altering your adaptor, I can
post the pin out of a SCART here.

--
*Why is it that rain drops but snow falls?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike P the 1st wrote:
A kind soul gave me a flat screen CRT Panasonic TV.

The picture is good, but there is no sound, only "noise".

Just to add, have you a local FreeCycle group? The one here is awash with
decent CRT sets. I've tried to give away a 21" Panasonic and stand - NICAM
sound and two SCARTs plus a front games socket - in as new condition in
every way. Even has the handbook. All I've had so far is no shows.

--
*The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 15:09:06 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
gently dipped his quill in the best Quink that
money could buy:

In article ,
Mike P the 1st wrote:
[...]

I did think that the adaptor might not suit the task. No soldering kit
and my arc welding skills might be a bit over kill :-)

When you say a tuner fault .. do you mean the channels are not tuned
in correctly or do you mean physical component is not working ?

We do have a FreeCycle locally.

Mike P the 1st
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike P the 1st wrote:
If you can solder and want to have a go at altering your adaptor, I can
post the pin out of a SCART here.

I did think that the adaptor might not suit the task. No soldering kit
and my arc welding skills might be a bit over kill :-)

If you're not in a rush, post it to me and I'll alter it for free.
(Assuming the SCART plug can be opened up - most can)
Although you might find exactly what you need in Maplin or EBay, etc.

When you say a tuner fault .. do you mean the channels are not tuned
in correctly or do you mean physical component is not working ?

Fooked, basically.

We do have a FreeCycle locally.

Most want slimline sets and chuck away perfectly good CRT ones. My excuse
is the one I changed was in the kitchen, and an LCD one releases more
worktop space.

--
acquired his size from too much pi*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 16:45:51 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
gently dipped his quill in the best Quink that
money could buy:

snipped

When you say a tuner fault .. do you mean the channels are not tuned
in correctly or do you mean physical component is not working ?

Fooked, basically.

\snip

Thank you for the offer of sorting a scart.
I think the TV is best be sent on it's way now and I will seek another
... Hopefuly with a scart socket :-)

Mike P the 1st
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 14:38:55 +0100, Mike P the 1st
wrote:

A kind soul gave me a flat screen CRT Panasonic TV.

The picture is good, but there is no sound, only "noise".

Is it definitely a UK model?

--
Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 18:19:26 +0100, Geo wrote:

The picture is good, but there is no sound, only "noise".

Is it definitely a UK model?

Good one... IIRC Panasonic use K after the model number to denote a
UK model (or is that Sony)?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 20:05:13 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
gently dipped his quill in the best
Quink that money could buy:

On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 18:19:26 +0100, Geo wrote:

The picture is good, but there is no sound, only "noise".

Is it definitely a UK model?

Good one... IIRC Panasonic use K after the model number to denote a
UK model (or is that Sony)?

Ah well ..the gentleman who gave it to me was from over the pond, but
had been resident here for over 2 years whilst "on duty". I imagined
it must be ok as he had been using it here. He also chucked in a VCR
which has a two pin power cable on it.
I will look for model Number ...

Mike P the 1st
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike P the 1st wrote:
Ah well ..the gentleman who gave it to me was from over the pond, but
had been resident here for over 2 years whilst "on duty". I imagined
it must be ok as he had been using it here. He also chucked in a VCR
which has a two pin power cable on it.
I will look for model Number ...

Ah. So likely the wrong model for the UK. Some can be altered to work - a
Google on that model might give something. But the ex owner may already
have tried.

--
*Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Mike P the 1st wrote:
Ah well ..the gentleman who gave it to me was from over the pond, but
had been resident here for over 2 years whilst "on duty". I imagined
it must be ok as he had been using it here. He also chucked in a VCR
which has a two pin power cable on it.
I will look for model Number ...

Ah. So likely the wrong model for the UK. Some can be altered to work - a
Google on that model might give something. But the ex owner may already
have tried.

who wants a complete surroiund sound system all geared up to 110v and
NTSC and wrong region on the DVD player?

:-(

Free to a good home ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Mike P the 1st wrote:
Ah well ..the gentleman who gave it to me was from over the pond, but
had been resident here for over 2 years whilst "on duty". I imagined
it must be ok as he had been using it here. He also chucked in a VCR
which has a two pin power cable on it.
I will look for model Number ...

Ah. So likely the wrong model for the UK. Some can be altered to work - a
Google on that model might give something. But the ex owner may already
have tried.

who wants a complete surroiund sound system all geared up to 110v and NTSC
and wrong region on the DVD player?

Massive stash of US DVDs?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
who wants a complete surroiund sound system all geared up to 110v and
NTSC and wrong region on the DVD player?

Massive stash of US DVDs?

We seem to be lucky in that most UK TVs have long since 'locked' to an
NTSC tape played in a suitable machine - or DVD. The reverse doesn't seem
to be the case with PAL in the US.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 09:53:06 +0100, Mike P the 1st wrote:

Good one... IIRC Panasonic use K after the model number to denote

UK model (or is that Sony)?

Ah well ..the gentleman who gave it to me was from over the pond, but
had been resident here for over 2 years whilst "on duty".

If he was living on the base it may well have been used on a closed
system providing US programming. US Bases are little bits of America
transported to where ever they are...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 21:45:33 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
gently dipped his quill in the best
Quink that money could buy:

On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 09:53:06 +0100, Mike P the 1st wrote:

Good one... IIRC Panasonic use K after the model number to denote

UK model (or is that Sony)?

Ah well ..the gentleman who gave it to me was from over the pond, but
had been resident here for over 2 years whilst "on duty".

If he was living on the base it may well have been used on a closed
system providing US programming. US Bases are little bits of America
transported to where ever they are...

For future reference ..... I went back to the menus and found Sound
Sys. set at 5.5 ... not a clue what that meant, but I selected next
choice.. 6.0. Hey presto ... voice activated.
Thanks to all.

Mike P the 1st

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike P the 1st wrote:
On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 21:45:33 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
gently dipped his quill in the best
Quink that money could buy:

On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 09:53:06 +0100, Mike P the 1st wrote:

Good one... IIRC Panasonic use K after the model number to denote

UK model (or is that Sony)?
Ah well ..the gentleman who gave it to me was from over the pond, but
had been resident here for over 2 years whilst "on duty".

If he was living on the base it may well have been used on a closed
system providing US programming. US Bases are little bits of America
transported to where ever they are...

For future reference ..... I went back to the menus and found Sound
Sys. set at 5.5 ... not a clue what that meant, but I selected next
choice.. 6.0. Hey presto ... voice activated.
Thanks to all.

5.5mhz sound subcarrier offset - thats NTSC. PAL here uses 6MHz.

Mike P the 1st

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
scribeth thus
Mike P the 1st wrote:
[...]

For a while .. got a dig-it-al set top box as yet?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike P the 1st wrote:
[...]