Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Leaky soil stack.

Hi all,

Having opened up the bottom of the box around the soil stack in my
downstairs toilet, I was delighted to find everything in there all damp
and manky. Peering up inside the box, I can see this:-

http://www.stamp.plus.com/Photos/SoilStack2.JPG

My untrained eye leads me to suspect a drippy leak in the lowsest
(closest in the photo) waste pipe joint (

Obviously I need to open up the box near the joint and sort it out, but
what's the best plan of attack? I have some Fernox LS-X left over from
another job and I'm tempted to just seperate the joint and splurge some
in. Is that doomed to fail - especially If I can't quite dry everything
out first? Is there another sealer I should be using instead?
I really want to avoid replacing the fitting on the stack if I can...

Cheers,

Colin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Stamp wrote:
Hi all,

Having opened up the bottom of the box around the soil stack in my
downstairs toilet, I was delighted to find everything in there all
damp and manky. Peering up inside the box, I can see this:-

http://www.stamp.plus.com/Photos/SoilStack2.JPG

My untrained eye leads me to suspect a drippy leak in the lowsest
(closest in the photo) waste pipe joint (

Obviously I need to open up the box near the joint and sort it out,
but what's the best plan of attack? I have some Fernox LS-X left over
from another job and I'm tempted to just seperate the joint and
splurge some in. Is that doomed to fail - especially If I can't quite
dry everything out first? Is there another sealer I should be using
instead? I really want to avoid replacing the fitting on the stack if I
can...

These fittings often have a ribbed rubber adaptor - maybe thats the problem.

Failing the LS-X is wonderful stuff!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Colin Stamp wrote:
[...]

I had similar. Simply kept filling it, wet or dry, with silicone, till
it stopped.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I had similar. Simply kept filling it, wet or dry, with silicone, till
it stopped.

Sounds promising. I was hoping that water (using the word loosely)
wouldn't be too much of a problem for the goop.

Cheers,

Colin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

These fittings often have a ribbed rubber adaptor - maybe thats the problem.

Yep. I've had some of the others apart on this stack in the past. They
have an o-ring thing. I've always been impressed that they hadn't leaked
either before or after I disturbed them. They've just gone down in my
estimation.

Failing the LS-X is wonderful stuff!

That's what I wanted to hear )

Cheers,

Colin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Stamp wrote:
[...]

I got round to hacking a big hole in the top of the box today and took
the offending joint apart. The O-ring looked fine once I'd de-scaled it.
I filled its groove with LS-X and pushed the waste pipe back in with
more LS-X for good measure. It all looks lovely, but for the fact that
it's still weeping. (

Now I can see it close-up, it looks like the boss pipe might be cracked
where the boss joins it. I'll try more LS-X, but it looks like I might
end-up having to replace the boss pipe. Bugger.

Cheers,

Colin.

New soil stack tvmo UK diy 2 February 23rd 09 05:52 PM
How to seal new plastic soil stack to old cast iron stack tonyjeffs[_2_] UK diy 4 February 12th 09 04:54 PM
Help: Soil Connection Options for Under Stairs Macerator (Soil Stack/ Manhole) GC UK diy 0 March 23rd 08 12:32 PM
soil stack ANDREW LENWEY UK diy 1 October 23rd 05 08:32 AM
soil stack karla Home Repair 1 February 2nd 05 12:41 AM