Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New soil stack

Hello,

I'm going to fit a new soil stack for an en-suite that I'm installing.
I'm not sure how I should tap into the current inspection chamber
which is about 2 metres away from where the new soil stack entwrs the
ground.

Do I have to replace the inspection chamber in order to add the
additional waste pipe?

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 07:38:54 -0800, tvmo wrote:

Do I have to replace the inspection chamber in order to add the
additional waste pipe?

It'll be notifiable work so you might want to check with the building
control officer what they'll require.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

My karma ran over my dogma
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tvmo wrote:

Hello,

I'm going to fit a new soil stack for an en-suite that I'm installing.
I'm not sure how I should tap into the current inspection chamber
which is about 2 metres away from where the new soil stack entwrs the
ground.

Do I have to replace the inspection chamber in order to add the
additional waste pipe?

Thanks

What sort of inspection chamber is it - is it built of brick, or one of
these pre-formed plastic jobbies? How deep is it?

As others have said, you need to consult Building Control at your local
council to find out what they want you to do. You usually have to join in
new soil stacks at invert level (i.e. the open channel at the bottom) - so
if it's deep (mine are 2 metres!) you either need to dig a very deep trench,
or go in through the side higher up and then take a pipe vertically down the
inside. You can't just 'dump' solid waste at high level because it will pile
up in the bottom and cause a blockage.

Building Control will also tell you what you need to do with the top of the
stack. You may need to go up through the roof with an open vent at the top,
or you may get away with just an AAV (air admittance valve) without going
out through the roof.

And, of course, you'll have to pay Building Inspection fees whatever
happens!
--
Cheers,
Roger

How to seal new plastic soil stack to old cast iron stack tonyjeffs[_2_] UK diy 4 February 12th 09 04:54 PM
Help: Soil Connection Options for Under Stairs Macerator (Soil Stack/ Manhole) GC UK diy 0 March 23rd 08 12:32 PM
soil stack ANDREW LENWEY UK diy 1 October 23rd 05 08:32 AM
Soil stack? Stinkoman UK diy 4 April 10th 05 01:45 PM
soil stack karla Home Repair 1 February 2nd 05 12:41 AM