Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cracks in ceiling

Dave wrote:
Mike P the 1st wrote:

What a good way to spend the Easter break ... ripping up all the
floorboards or just disturbing all that itchy insulation to search for
the crack, then discovering that it is obviously not cracked right
through the board on the top side so you cannot find it.. Fixing floor
back and managing to put the wrong longer screw/nail into a water pipe
and flooding the void until it hits an electric junction box and
plunges the house into non electric mode just when the wife has left
you three loads of washing to get done by the time she comes back from
seeing her Mother who thinks you are a complete numpty anyway. Happy
Easter :-)

You have hit a nail on the head with that answer.

Why do wives assume that all jobs are simple and can be done by a
simpleton?

Having worked in the development field, almost all my working life, I
look at a job and the first thing runs through my mind is..

WTF can go wrong and how can I prevent it?

I have been known to put of what looks like a minor job for weeks while
I think it out. Much to the annoyance of my wife.

Dave

The only problem with that is it can go round in your head until it
assumes monumental proportions. Then you get up one morning and say, "Oh
FFS, just do it". And then it does indeed all go wrong......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Try mixing some PVA with your polyfilla. It makes it stick like sh*t
to a blanket and gives the filler some resilience. Don't overfill as
it's a bugger to sand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

m1ss_wh1te wrote:
Try mixing some PVA with your polyfilla. It makes it stick like sh*t
to a blanket and gives the filler some resilience. Don't overfill as
it's a bugger to sand.

I wouldn't. We're trying to hide the cracks, not accentuate them
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
Dave wrote:
Mike P the 1st wrote:

[...]

To be honest, most solutions to problems come when I get in a bath for a
soak. I am not actively thinking about the problem, but all of a sudden
the solution pings my brain. My brain must be working in subconscious mode.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
Dave wrote:
Mike P the 1st wrote:

[...]

Be thankful it works at all

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
Dave wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
Dave wrote:
Mike P the 1st wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't have worked in the development area if it hadn't :-)

Dave

Ceiling cracks Maris UK diy 0 December 28th 08 10:45 PM
Ceiling cracks Broadback UK diy 2 December 28th 08 12:08 PM
Cracks In Ceiling Dick Home Repair 3 November 1st 06 10:10 PM
ceiling cracks James UK diy 1 February 28th 06 01:51 PM
Ceiling cracks: using grout? [email protected] UK diy 10 March 15th 05 04:39 PM