Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rectangular plastic shims

Anyone know where you can buy Rectangular plastic packing shims
(commonly used with double glazing) on a Sunday?
(or failing that, any other day of the week?)
Screwfix used to do them, but only shims I can see in their range
now are something completely different.

Someone selling some on ebay:
http://i.ebayimg.com/13/!B,OdWpgBGk~$(KGrHgoOKj4EjlLm(n4WBKqjP)dgiQ~~_35.J PG

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 28, 2:59 pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
Anyone know where you can buy Rectangular plastic packing shims
(commonly used with double glazing) on a Sunday?
(or failing that, any other day of the week?)
Screwfix used to do them, but only shims I can see in their range
now are something completely different.

Someone selling some on ebay:http://i.ebayimg.com/13/!B,OdWpgBGk~$(KGrHgoOKj4EjlLm(n4WBKqjP)dgiQ~~...

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scre.../sd1950/p46640

9-4 if you get a wiggle on :)

JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
Anyone know where you can buy Rectangular plastic packing shims
(commonly used with double glazing) on a Sunday?
(or failing that, any other day of the week?)
Screwfix used to do them, but only shims I can see in their range
now are something completely different.

Someone selling some on ebay:
http://i.ebayimg.com/13/!B,OdWpgBGk~$(KGrHgoOKj4EjlLm(n4WBKqjP)dgiQ~~_35.J PG

--
Andrew Gabriel

Think I saw them in Aldi or Lidel a while back.
Even so, they have always seemed just a little too pricey to tempt me into
ditching my boxes of assorted wooden offcuts, that always seem to get
bigger...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Anyone know where you can buy Rectangular plastic packing shims
(commonly used with double glazing) on a Sunday?
(or failing that, any other day of the week?)
Screwfix used to do them, but only shims I can see in their range
now are something completely different.

These ?
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...h_search=35890

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Anyone know where you can buy Rectangular plastic packing shims
(commonly used with double glazing) on a Sunday?
(or failing that, any other day of the week?)
Screwfix used to do them, but only shims I can see in their range
now are something completely different.

These ?
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...h_search=35890

I saw those but couldn't work out what they are.
They look like a school stencil drawing set.

In Wickes, I found a packet of plastic wedge shims (something to do
with laying wooden floors). They are now deployed behind my facias,
spacing it away from the wall plate so it lines up with the brickwork
correctly, and allowing some air circulation between the facia and
the wall plate.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Anyone know where you can buy Rectangular plastic packing shims
(commonly used with double glazing) on a Sunday?
(or failing that, any other day of the week?)
Screwfix used to do them, but only shims I can see in their range
now are something completely different.

These ?
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...h_search=35890

I saw those but couldn't work out what they are.
They look like a school stencil drawing set.

They are colour coded, e.g. brown 6mm, yellow 1mm, blue 3mm etc. The
horseshoe shape means you can drop them over a fixing and they will stay in
place - unlike a wedge.

Another make here, better picture
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scre.../sd1950/p46640

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel
wibbled on Sunday 28 March 2010 19:57

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Anyone know where you can buy Rectangular plastic packing shims
(commonly used with double glazing) on a Sunday?
(or failing that, any other day of the week?)
Screwfix used to do them, but only shims I can see in their range
now are something completely different.

These ?

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...h_search=35890

I saw those but couldn't work out what they are.
They look like a school stencil drawing set.

Those are frame packers. Not my preferred type, which are more like:

http://www.multifixings.com/category...d=141&catid=55

But do the same job. Actually quite useful for battens on uneven walls being
available from 1mm thick to about 10mm and are stackable, packing frames
(the original intended use) and anywhere else you need to fill a gap and a
fag packet would have been used (except hinges, where fag packets are still
the best ;-)

Sadly, they seem easy to get compared to what the OP wants, which are
"glazing packers", which seem impossible to get other than from a double
glazing outfit, ebay or in packs of 1000.

OP: Do you also need "bridge packers"?

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Anyone know where you can buy Rectangular plastic packing shims
(commonly used with double glazing) on a Sunday?
(or failing that, any other day of the week?)
Screwfix used to do them, but only shims I can see in their range
now are something completely different.

These ?

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...h_search=35890

I saw those but couldn't work out what they are.
They look like a school stencil drawing set.

Those are frame packers. Not my preferred type, which are more like:

http://www.multifixings.com/category...d=141&catid=55

Confused now. Both links point to exatly the same product?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman
wibbled on Sunday 28 March 2010 23:44

"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Anyone know where you can buy Rectangular plastic packing shims
(commonly used with double glazing) on a Sunday?
(or failing that, any other day of the week?)
Screwfix used to do them, but only shims I can see in their range
now are something completely different.

These ?

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...h_search=35890

I saw those but couldn't work out what they are.
They look like a school stencil drawing set.

Those are frame packers. Not my preferred type, which are more like:

http://www.multifixings.com/category...d=141&catid=55

Confused now. Both links point to exatly the same product?

Different versions of the same functional product. I prefer the ones with
more substance.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts writes:

OP: Do you also need "bridge packers"?

[quick google search] no.

I wanted something to space a facia board away from the wall plate
it screws into, to make the front line up with the brickwork, and
to create a gap between the facia (which eventually goes rotten
if not replaced in time) and the wall plate (which I'd rather didn't
go rotten).

The Wickes wedge shims actually worked very well.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel
wibbled on Monday 29 March 2010 10:28

In article ,
Tim Watts writes:

OP: Do you also need "bridge packers"?

[quick google search] no.

I wanted something to space a facia board away from the wall plate
it screws into, to make the front line up with the brickwork, and
to create a gap between the facia (which eventually goes rotten
if not replaced in time) and the wall plate (which I'd rather didn't
go rotten).

The Wickes wedge shims actually worked very well.

Didn't notice you were the OP Andrew. slap

--
Tim Watts

SS shims Wayne Metalworking 11 January 20th 10 12:55 AM
Plastic shims Slider UK diy 20 July 11th 08 08:39 PM
Plastic Shims The Medway Handyman UK diy 8 December 1st 07 06:12 PM
Plastic shims or shim stock Jay Pique Woodworking 1 December 13th 06 02:54 AM