Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Making a door way wider

Phil wrote:
On 23 Mar, 12:11, "comp.zrch.embedded" wrote:
I have a door way in a brick, non supporting wall. The stupid builder
when he put in the wall used a 27 inch door frame and I need to widen
the door frame to 30 inches, I did not specify door width, i.e. take 3
inches off one side of the frame. The old frame has a concrete lintel
above which seems to overhang 3 inches each side. My question is if I
cut the frame wider on one side do I need to replace the lintel or can
I get away with just the door frame? How much lintel overhang could I
get away with?
Thanks

A lintel seems a bit of an overkill for only a 30" opening.
Assuming usual brick sizes and stretcher bond, there's about 6 bricks
unsupported above...

Necertheless, I have a door without a lintel where the door frame has
bowed enough under the weight of those bricks to cause the door to jam.
One of my round tuit moments will be to jack them up and fit a bit of 1"
equal angle iron under them and against the door frame. However, as the
door is not really essential, that is some way down the list.

Colin Bignell

Making a door way wider comp.zrch.embedded UK diy 13 March 26th 10 01:24 AM
Making a door way wider Phil UK diy 0 March 23rd 10 02:23 PM
Sekonda wider removal help? Harry Bloomfield[_3_] UK diy 3 March 24th 09 09:41 AM
What is involved in putting in a wider door? Toller Home Repair 5 December 21st 06 04:30 AM
new bathtub wider... Jag Man Home Repair 2 December 28th 04 12:34 AM