Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Making a door way wider

On 23 Mar, 12:11, "comp.zrch.embedded" wrote:
I have a door way in a brick, non supporting wall. The stupid builder
when he put in the wall used a 27 inch door frame and I need to widen
the door frame to 30 inches, I did not specify door width, i.e. take 3
inches off one side of the frame. The old frame has a concrete lintel
above *which seems to overhang 3 inches each side. My question is if I
cut the frame wider on one side do I need to replace the lintel or can
I get away with just the door frame? How much lintel overhang could I
get away with?
Thanks

A lintel seems a bit of an overkill for only a 30" opening.
Assuming usual brick sizes and stretcher bond, there's about 6 bricks
unsupported above...

Phil.