Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Utility cupboard: roller door mechanism?

I know you can buy cupboards and storage units with a pull down roller
door for space saving, but does anyone know of a supplier that does
just the roller and door mechanism that I can incorporate into a
bespoke built-in storage area?

I have a ground floor shower room and wc that needs to be converted so
that the shower tray area (approx 1800x900mm) becomes a storage space
for a washing machine and tumble dryer. What is currently the shower
screen door (recess enclosure) will become the frontage of the
cupboard and to save space (that is not really available for hinged
cupboard doors), I am looking at installing a roller door to the front
of the storage area... one that I can buy of the shelf and fabricate
in to my own specs regarding framing etc.

Any suggestions?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"deano" wrote in message
I know you can buy cupboards and storage units with a pull down roller
door for space saving, but does anyone know of a supplier that does
just the roller and door mechanism that I can incorporate into a
bespoke built-in storage area?

I have a ground floor shower room and wc that needs to be converted so
that the shower tray area (approx 1800x900mm) becomes a storage space
for a washing machine and tumble dryer. What is currently the shower
screen door (recess enclosure) will become the frontage of the
cupboard and to save space (that is not really available for hinged
cupboard doors), I am looking at installing a roller door to the front
of the storage area... one that I can buy of the shelf and fabricate
in to my own specs regarding framing etc.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Tambour Doors:

http://www.waivis.co.uk/vertical.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 9, 10:33 am, deano wrote:
I know you can buy cupboards and storage units with a pull down roller
door for space saving, but does anyone know of a supplier that does
just the roller and door mechanism that I can incorporate into a
bespoke built-in storage area?

I have a ground floor shower room and wc that needs to be converted so
that the shower tray area (approx 1800x900mm) becomes a storage space
for a washing machine and tumble dryer. What is currently the shower
screen door (recess enclosure) will become the frontage of the
cupboard and to save space (that is not really available for hinged
cupboard doors), I am looking at installing a roller door to the front
of the storage area... one that I can buy of the shelf and fabricate
in to my own specs regarding framing etc.

Any suggestions?

TIA

is it definitely necess to screen the wm/c etc away - in our house we
are "at it" every day loading or unloading :)

could it end up being a real PITA to have to bend down to floor twice
each time you need access?

how about a shower curtain?

Cheers
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010 02:33:31 -0800 (PST)
deano wrote:

I know you can buy cupboards and storage units with a pull down roller
door for space saving, but does anyone know of a supplier that does
just the roller and door mechanism that I can incorporate into a
bespoke built-in storage area?

I have a ground floor shower room and wc that needs to be converted so
that the shower tray area (approx 1800x900mm) becomes a storage space
for a washing machine and tumble dryer. What is currently the shower
screen door (recess enclosure) will become the frontage of the
cupboard and to save space (that is not really available for hinged
cupboard doors), I am looking at installing a roller door to the front
of the storage area... one that I can buy of the shelf and fabricate
in to my own specs regarding framing etc.

Any suggestions?

TIA

I have seen these hand made. The track being routed in the two sides.
The shutter (tambour) is made by gluing strips to a heavy canvas
sheet. I assume the track is waxed heavily to make it easy to pull.

They used to be used for desk tops, e.g.:
http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct.php?9812

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

. ..
deano wrote:

[...]

.....but you need some sort of counterbalance otherwise it will slam down. I
have seen a cupboard that has the guides going under the top and down
inside the back )as an alternative to going onto a roller). It still had a
spring to take the weight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Mar, 11:55, JimK wrote:
On Mar 9, 10:33 am, deano wrote:

[...]

I think the idea is that, when not in use and guests are round, it can
all be closed off and used as a downstairs cloakroom... bit tacky for
the queen to be sitting on the kaazi whilst looking at white goods
through a shower curtain B-)

ta
d.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 10, 9:36 am, deano wrote:
On 9 Mar, 11:55, JimK wrote:

On Mar 9, 10:33 am, deano wrote:

[...]

Just be ready for all the raised eyebrows when guests decide whether
to believe you when you tell them what's behind the "security shutter"
in the bathroom where the shower used to be ;))
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Mar, 10:38, JimK wrote:
On Mar 10, 9:36 am, deano wrote:

On 9 Mar, 11:55, JimK wrote:

On Mar 9, 10:33 am, deano wrote:

[...]

Have now found out that Hafele do them...
http://www.hafele.co.uk/Hafele35a1/T...or+system&tab=

Trouble is, the system only supports a door up to 600mm wide, and that
only to a height of 1000mm.
I need 1m x 2.3m, so it's back to the search.
Next idea I'm toying with is to buy a 2nd hand unit from an office
supply company and rip the guts out of it for my purpose.

Either that, or I get bored with the whole thing and she gets a shower
curtain ;-)

Anglian Door Latch Mechanism bri UK diy 4 December 4th 07 07:46 PM
Patio door - locking mechanism ?? [email protected] UK diy 2 November 11th 06 10:07 PM
bifold door guide mechanism Andy Adkin Home Repair 1 March 10th 05 08:50 PM
Folding door mechanism PoP UK diy 3 February 12th 04 06:21 PM
internal door mechanism - what's it called? RichardS UK diy 2 October 31st 03 03:59 PM