Posted to uk.d-i-y
bri bri is offline

Default Anglian Door Latch Mechanism

hello,
The return spring has failed on the latch mechanism on an Anglian
supplied uPVC double glazed door. To get at the latch mechanism I have
to remove the door handles and the square section rod which passes
through the latch mechanism. The problem is I cannot see how the door
handles are removed. The handle face plates have no screws they are
plain aluminium with no penetrations. The face plates have black
plastic end stops at either end. I have tried to remove these but I can
only get them to move 2 or 3mm. They are very tight and it feels like
if I move them further I will damage them.
Has anyone got any suggestions on what I need to do to remove these handles?

Many thanks for any replies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
DIY DIY is offline

"bri" wrote:
hello,
The return spring has failed on the latch mechanism on an Anglian supplied
uPVC double glazed door. To get at the latch mechanism I have to remove
the door handles and the square section rod which passes through the latch
mechanism. The problem is I cannot see how the door handles are removed.
The handle face plates have no screws they are plain aluminium with no
penetrations. The face plates have black plastic end stops at either end.
I have tried to remove these but I can only get them to move 2 or 3mm.
They are very tight and it feels like if I move them further I will damage
them.
Has anyone got any suggestions on what I need to do to remove these
handles?

Many thanks for any replies.

These people should be able to advise:
http://doubleglazingsparesandrepairs.co.uk/index.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bri" wrote in message
hello,
The return spring has failed on the latch mechanism on an Anglian supplied
uPVC double glazed door. To get at the latch mechanism I have to remove
the door handles and the square section rod which passes through the latch
mechanism. The problem is I cannot see how the door handles are removed.
The handle face plates have no screws they are plain aluminium with no
penetrations. The face plates have black plastic end stops at either end.
I have tried to remove these but I can only get them to move 2 or 3mm.
They are very tight and it feels like if I move them further I will damage
them.
Has anyone got any suggestions on what I need to do to remove these
handles?

Many thanks for any replies.

Is there an allen head grub screw on the handle that grips the spindle?
If so, slacken it and prise the handle plate off the door.
Let us know how you get on whatever method you use, the info might be handy
for others.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bri bri is offline

Scabbydug wrote:
"bri" wrote in message
[...]

There is a very small hole (approx 2mm dia) which may contain a grub
screw. I thought it was a roll pin. This door is at my fathers house
so I will have a look at it next weekend when we visit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
bri bri is offline

bri wrote:
Scabbydug wrote:
"bri" wrote in message
[...]

An update. I have now managed to find out how to remove the handles.
The cover plate clips into place and I removed it using a thin blade,
working it in one end. Behind this cover plate is a backing plate which
is screwed to the door frame.

Screen door pushbutton latch - need just the latch plate, looking for suggestions [email protected] Home Repair 0 March 19th 07 05:36 AM
Screen door pushbutton latch - need just the latch plate, looking for suggestions [email protected] Home Ownership 0 March 19th 07 05:36 AM
Door latch thingy AMO UK diy 7 November 2nd 06 05:59 PM
Door latch problem [email protected] Home Repair 18 February 24th 06 05:12 AM
BAC window latch mechanism how to get at it? [email protected] UK diy 0 October 3rd 05 02:01 PM