Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob bob is offline

Default table saws

what do you folks reckon is the best 10 inch table saw,240 v budget
circa £300 ish,as always input much welcomed and appreciated
Posted to uk.d-i-y

bob wrote:
what do you folks reckon is the best 10 inch table saw,240 v budget
circa £300 ish,as always input much welcomed and appreciated

Not up to date on these, but Axminster & Charnwood are both worth a look.
Axminster have a fence upgrade kit that transforms a basic table saw.

http://www.charnwood.net/CatList.jsp?cat=17

http://www.axminster.co.uk/category-...hes-812981.htm

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...sfile=1&jump=0

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

bob wrote:
what do you folks reckon is the best 10 inch table saw,240 v budget
circa £300 ish,as always input much welcomed and appreciated

I'm happy with my Makita MLT100 (I've found you can't go wrong with Makita):

http://www.tooltray.com/power-tools/...-table-saw.htm
Junior Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
what do you folks reckon is the best 10 inch table saw,240 v budget
circa £300 ish,as always input much welcomed and appreciated
I have the silverline flip over saw and I am very happy with it - it does just about anything - is a table saw and a mitre saw in one - and boy is it powerful (1800 watts) and fast!

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where best to buy Worx (Rockwell) SoniCrafter multi tool

peterx666 wrote:
Where is the cheapest place to buy the Worx Sonicrafter multitool can
anyone advise me???

Worx AFAIK is available in argos/Homebase at around £80.

Saw it on television on one of the advertising channels but cant
remember which one (anyone know ????)

Think it may be cheaper to buy the full 72 piece kit because the tools
are so expensive

does anyone sell the tools at discounted price?

Any help appreciated - was loking at the Fein Multimaster but the
cheapest price I could get that was £174.00 for the kit which is too
expensive for DIY as I am not sure if a multitool will come in handy?

Check out the Bosch PMF 180 for around £65. Blades for the Bosch are
available in larger B&Q stores, blades for the Worx are like hens teeth -
not sure if they are interchangeable or not.

anyone any experience of using thes multitools?

Incredibly useful for some jobs. Only downside is the cost of the blades.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I got the Aldi version reduced from £40 to £30. Having got it, you
wonder how you managed without it. I've lifted floorboards neatly and
with virtually no dust and used it to shape wood. There's a helpline
number for replacement blades but I saw them cheaper on eBay anyway.
Haven't bought any yet as, so far, the original is holding up well.

It seems Aldi have sourced it via Ferm.

I can upload a picture of the blade fixing holes if anyone's keeping
track of compatibility.

I looked at the Worx but it's expensive compared even to the Bosch and
blades/spares availability seems an unknown quantity.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
I got the Aldi version reduced from £40 to £30. Having got it, you
wonder how you managed without it. I've lifted floorboards neatly and
with virtually no dust and used it to shape wood. There's a helpline
number for replacement blades but I saw them cheaper on eBay anyway.
Haven't bought any yet as, so far, the original is holding up well.

It seems Aldi have sourced it via Ferm.

I can upload a picture of the blade fixing holes if anyone's keeping
track of compatibility.

That would be good Mike. I've got details of the Bosch & Fein.. Seems like
a good thing to add to the DIY Wiki.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Where is the cheapest place to buy the Worx Sonicrafter multitool can
anyone advise me???
Any help appreciated - was loking at the Fein Multimaster but the
cheapest price I could get that was £174.00 for the kit which is too
expensive for DIY as I am not sure if a multitool will come in handy?
anyone any experience of using thes multitools?

I bought one for my dad the other day, and they do some things that
no other tool can - he's a self employed handyman, and it's already
made some jobs possible that would have been virtually impossible
without causing major disruption.

I got him the Bosch by the way, and you can get blades in Focus if
you're stuck - the flat blades are about £8, the semi-circular blade
about £20
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
I just bought a set of blades from this ebay seller:

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/specia...__W0QQ_armrsZ1

They are US based - but ship the blades from the UK, so next day
delivery and sensible postage costs.

Thanks for that, John.

--
*What was the best thing before sliced bread? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
peterx666 wrote:
Any help appreciated - was loking at the Fein Multimaster but the
cheapest price I could get that was £174.00 for the kit which is too
expensive for DIY as I am not sure if a multitool will come in handy?

Having read all the various 'gotchas' with the Fein clones I lashed out
and got the real thing. And haven't regretted it. It does some jobs
nothing else will do as easily. And appears to be built to last.

--
*Avoid clichés like the plague. (They're old hat.) *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I just bought a set of blades from this ebay seller:

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/specia...__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Bookmarked!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Having read all the various 'gotchas' with the Fein clones I lashed out
and got the real thing. And haven't regretted it. It does some jobs
nothing else will do as easily. And appears to be built to last.

Mine's the original model (circular blade mount, came in a tin box),
and over 5 years old now. Very well used, and absolutely no slackening
off of performance.

I'm pleased there's alternatives to Fein's very expensive blades now.
Bought a Bosch blade yesterday (B&Q), and found it absolutely the
equal of Fein.

(Earlier that day, I found that an old wood-cutting blade (on its last
legs anyway) will *not* stand up to cutting a tiny bit of cement board
- I literally wore it down so it looks like a scraper blade in a
couple of minutes)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Having read all the various 'gotchas' with the Fein clones I lashed out
and got the real thing. And haven't regretted it. It does some jobs
nothing else will do as easily. And appears to be built to last.

I also have the Fein, had it about 3 or 4 years. It's been heavily used and
has been fine. Blades are fairly expensive, but not so bad if you buy bigger
multi-packs from ebay etc. Sanding sheets especially cheaper if you buy the
bulk boxes of them.
I've used a friend's Bosch, found it loud, slow and in-efficient compared to
the Fein.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bob" wrote in message
what do you folks reckon is the best 10 inch table saw,240 v budget
circa £300 ish,as always input much welcomed and appreciated

I bought the JCB model .... been superb piece of kit for it's price.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 09:34:20 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

(can you do some photos of the Bosch blade mounting? (I presume it has a
couple of pins that locate in the peripheral holes on the blades))

Series of (about 8?) small holes around the main (M5-ish) mounting hole,
same as older Fein apparently

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Things don't like being anthropomorphised.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 09:23:08 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Having read all the various 'gotchas' with the Fein clones I lashed out
and got the real thing. And haven't regretted it. It does some jobs
nothing else will do as easily. And appears to be built to last.

I've got the cordless Li-Ion Bosh (nyaah, nyaah! :-)). Nice not to have to
run from mains, especially when cutting water pipes or in odd spaces. I'm
on my second though: something in the mechanism packed up on the first one
so that it still made a noise but stoped vibrating the blade. Repaired
once, packed up again, they replaced it ... so far so good ...

Miles Tools & Machinery & Rapid Electronics seem to be best prices for
blades.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Procrastinate now!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Series of (about 8?) small holes around the main (M5-ish) mounting hole,
same as older Fein apparently

No smaller holes on the original Fein model (on blades or tool), just
the single circular hole through which the bolt passes. It's necessary
to do the bolt up quite tight to stop the blade slipping round.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 4, 9:34*am, John Rumm wrote:
I can upload a picture of the blade fixing holes if anyone's keeping
track of compatibility.

That would be good Mike. *I've got details of the Bosch & Fein.. *Seems like
a good thing to add to the DIY Wiki.

Well volunteered that man! ;-)

Okey-dokey. Apologies that they're slightly soft focus but you get
the idea.

Here's the Aldi style fixing. Four holes round a central 10mm hole
(and four corresponding pins on the seat):

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/4...feinclone1.jpg

Here, for reference, is what comes in the Aldi kit:

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/1...feinclone2.jpg

3 blades, various sanding pads and a (somewhat clumsy) add-on dust
extraction adaptor. So far, though, the dust produced has been very
localised and didn't require the adaptor.

This is the relevant page for Aldi's guarantee/spares/ service:

http://www.servotool.eu/index.php?p=...ist&id=OTM6008

Strangely the blades have disappeared since I last looked but they
were slightly more expensive than JR's ebay seller anyway.

This is the Ferm version (same fixings):
http://www.ferm.nl/SyncForce.Ferm.Pr... =526&LangID=1

This is a new Ferm version with keyless blade change:

http://www.ferm.nl/SyncForce.Ferm.Pr... =567&LangID=1

Ferm's website if those direct links don't work:

http://www.ferm.nl/framesgen.asp?LangID=1&PageID=1

Another entirely different version on Westfalia's website, with
integrated extraction (although the instruction manual shows it uses
the same 4-hole fixing configuration):

http://www2.westfalia.net/shops/tool..._tool_250w.htm

Hope this is of help.

I eagerly await these and other data correlated into an Excel/
PowerPoint masterclass!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 5, 4:38*pm, John Rumm wrote:
mike wrote:
Here's the Aldi style fixing. *Four holes round a central 10mm hole
(and four corresponding pins on the seat):

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/4...feinclone1.jpg

That would suggest you can only fix the blade in one of three useable
positions then?

Yeah, but now I'm trying to think of a situation where having the
blade in the fourth, backward-facing position would be useful!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
mike wrote:
I got the Aldi version reduced from £40 to £30. Having got it, you
wonder how you managed without it. I've lifted floorboards neatly
and with virtually no dust and used it to shape wood. There's a
helpline number for replacement blades but I saw them cheaper on
eBay anyway. Haven't bought any yet as, so far, the original is
holding up well. It seems Aldi have sourced it via Ferm.

I can upload a picture of the blade fixing holes if anyone's keeping
track of compatibility.

That would be good Mike. I've got details of the Bosch & Fein.. Seems
like a good thing to add to the DIY Wiki.

Well volunteered that man! ;-)

(can you do some photos of the Bosch blade mounting? (I presume it
has a couple of pins that locate in the peripheral holes on the
blades))

The mounting on the machine has the same number of pins as the blade has
holes.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 5, 7:08*pm, John Rumm wrote:

That would suggest you can only fix the blade in one of three useable
positions then?

Yeah, but now I'm trying to think of a situation where having the
blade in the fourth, backward-facing position would be useful!

Cleaning under you nails?

Back to the original point, if the alternative replacement blades from
ebay have more holes but are otherwise the same, presumably you'd get
the same multiple positions as the Bosch/Fein?

Table Saws - rich Woodworking 20 September 18th 05 02:01 AM
How do SawStop Table Saws Compare as Saws? woodworker88 Woodworking 8 August 11th 05 04:42 AM
Mitre saws, table saws, or flip saw? Tim Nicholson UK diy 6 May 9th 04 11:29 AM
Table Saws - what to do? HomeBrewer Woodworking 26 February 9th 04 01:03 AM
Table saws Kelly ODonald Woodworking 2 October 10th 03 01:05 PM