Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob bob is offline

Default wooden float or steel

i was told that when using board finish first coat is best applied
with a wooden float and second skim coat with a steel to apply and
polish,is this correct?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

bob wrote:
i was told that when using board finish first coat is best applied
with a wooden float and second skim coat with a steel to apply and
polish,is this correct?

Steel, never wood for skimming, in fact, in 30 years of being in the
building trade, I don't think I've ever seen anyone put anything on with a
wooden trowel - a wooden darby is sometimes used to flatten off render, but
never finishing plaster, and certainly never to apply plaster.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 25, 9:48*pm, "Phil L" wrote:
bob wrote:
i was told that when using board finish first coat is best applied
with a wooden float and second skim coat with a steel to apply and
polish,is this correct?

Steel, never wood for skimming, in fact, in 30 years of being in the
building trade, I don't think I've ever seen anyone put anything on with a
wooden trowel - a wooden darby is sometimes used to flatten off render, but
never finishing plaster, and certainly never to apply plaster.

wood gets used for lime plaster

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
On Feb 25, 9:48 pm, "Phil L" wrote:
bob wrote:
i was told that when using board finish first coat is best applied
with a wooden float and second skim coat with a steel to apply and
polish,is this correct?

Steel, never wood for skimming, in fact, in 30 years of being in the
building trade, I don't think I've ever seen anyone put anything on
with a wooden trowel - a wooden darby is sometimes used to flatten
off render, but never finishing plaster, and certainly never to
apply plaster.

wood gets used for lime plaster

I've never seen anyone use lime plaster, I've hacked masses of it off, but
it usually gets replaced with render if it's for a chemical DPC, and
drylined or a gypsum-based backing plaster if it's not.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
om...
bob wrote:
i was told that when using board finish first coat is best applied
with a wooden float and second skim coat with a steel to apply and
polish,is this correct?

Steel, never wood for skimming, in fact, in 30 years of being in the
building trade, I don't think I've ever seen anyone put anything on with a
wooden trowel - a wooden darby is sometimes used to flatten off render,
but never finishing plaster, and certainly never to apply plaster.

These days I don't think they make the wood ones much.
I have a yellow fibreglass (I think) float which looks a bit like a wood
one.
It is used for finishing render.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
om...
bob wrote:
i was told that when using board finish first coat is best applied
with a wooden float and second skim coat with a steel to apply and
polish,is this correct?

Steel, never wood for skimming, in fact, in 30 years of being in the
building trade, I don't think I've ever seen anyone put anything on
with a wooden trowel - a wooden darby is sometimes used to flatten
off render, but never finishing plaster, and certainly never to
apply plaster.

These days I don't think they make the wood ones much.
I have a yellow fibreglass (I think) float which looks a bit like a
wood one.
It is used for finishing render.

Yep, I have one of those - it's not used for applying render but for rubbing
it up when almost set

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Float on dishwasher whiskeyomega UK diy 11 January 2nd 10 12:03 AM
How can I fix 2 pounds heavy plaster plaques to a painted wooden wall? (Those thin wooden panels that they had in the 70s) [email protected] Home Repair 2 November 5th 07 07:45 PM
Float valves. Matthew UK diy 2 November 10th 06 01:11 PM
wanted 36 wooden spindles @ 17" also 36 wooden teddy bears @ 4 inch high URGENTLY [email protected] Woodworking 0 August 30th 06 03:50 PM
Plaster float littlehobo UK diy 8 April 3rd 05 06:27 AM