Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Extensions - permitted development

Is the total volume of any additions to a house no longer relevant in
terms of permitted development? There's no mention of it he

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl...xtensions.html

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 17, 1:23 pm, geraldthehamster wrote:
Is the total volume of any additions to a house no longer relevant in
terms of permitted development? There's no mention of it he

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl...ensions/extens...

Cheers
Richard

see

http://www.leeds.gov.uk/files/Intern...1/new%20pd.pdf

as always it could have been superceded by something else.....

Cheers
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geraldthehamster wrote:
Is the total volume of any additions to a house no longer relevant in
terms of permitted development? There's no mention of it he

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl...xtensions.html

Cheers
Richard

I think the rules changed a couple of years back but it is always worth
dropping in to your local planning office.
I recall noting that something I built at the bottom of the garden about
5 years ago would not longer be allowed but also that house extensions
of certain types had become a lot easier.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geraldthehamster wrote:
Is the total volume of any additions to a house no longer relevant in
terms of permitted development? There's no mention of it he

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl...xtensions.html

Cheers
Richard

sadly, no. Cart and horses through planning now. No reasonable offer
refused.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Feb, 17:07, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
geraldthehamster wrote:
Is the total volume of any additions to a house no longer relevant in
terms of permitted development? There's no mention of it he

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl...ensions/extens...

Cheers
Richard

sadly, no. Cart and horses through planning now. No reasonable offer
refused.

Well it's excellent from my point of view as I can now go out 4 metres
without the need for PP :-)

Cheers
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

geraldthehamster wrote:
Is the total volume of any additions to a house no longer relevant in
terms of permitted development? There's no mention of it he

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl...ensions/extens...

Cheers
Richard

sadly, no. Cart and horses through planning now. No reasonable offer
refused.

Well it's excellent from my point of view as I can now go out 4 metres
without the need for PP :-)

Err ...
I think its limited to 3 metres out on PD now.
I've just built an extension to 4m (started 2006 !), would have needed
planning permission to do it now.
You are now allowed to add loads of little boxes sticking off the
various parts of your house, but single larger boxes need planning
permission.
The PD rules are now actually worse for reasonable sized additions.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-02-17 13:23:53 +0000, geraldthehamster said:

Is the total volume of any additions to a house no longer relevant in
terms of permitted development? There's no mention of it he

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl...xtensions.html

Does anyone know why "any upper-floor window in a wall or roof slope in
a side elevation must be obscure-glazed and non-opening unless the
parts which can be opened are more than 1.7 metres above the floor of
the room in which it is installed"?

And, what is the definition of a "side window" as opposed to "front
window" or "back window"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-02-17 13:23:53 +0000, geraldthehamster said:

Is the total volume of any additions to a house no longer relevant in
terms of permitted development? There's no mention of it he

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl...xtensions.html

Does anyone know why "any upper-floor window in a wall or roof slope in
a side elevation must be obscure-glazed and non-opening unless the parts
which can be opened are more than 1.7 metres above the floor of the room
in which it is installed"?

And, what is the definition of a "side window" as opposed to "front
window" or "back window"?

I read it as a side window being one that will overlook next door. The
assumption presumably being that an extension will be close to next door
but not close to a property built at the bottom of the garden.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson
wibbled on Thursday 18 February 2010 08:48

wrote:

geraldthehamster wrote:
[...]

3m for an attached house, 4m for a detached.
--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

geraldthehamster wrote:
[...]

Simon.- Hide quoted text -

If you look at the link I posted above, it's 3m for an attached house,
and 4m for a detached.

Cheers
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-02-17 13:23:53 +0000, geraldthehamster said:

Is the total volume of any additions to a house no longer relevant in
terms of permitted development? There's no mention of it he

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl...ensions/extens...

Does anyone know why "any upper-floor window in a wall or roof slope in
a side elevation must be obscure-glazed and non-opening unless the parts
which can be opened are more than 1.7 metres above the floor of the room
in which it is installed"?

And, what is the definition of a "side window" as opposed to "front
window" or "back window"?

I read it as a side window being one that will overlook next door. The
assumption presumably being that an extension will be close to next door
but not close to a property built at the bottom of the garden.

Andrew- Hide quoted text -

I assumed for neighbours' privacy, although it's oddly-phrased - why
is it relevant where the opening part is? You could have a fixed
window that started at floor level and went up to the ceiling, with an
opening light more than 1.7m off the ground, and it could all be clear-
glazed. I'm sure this is not what is meant.

Oh, I see, there is a missing comma: "must be obscure-glazed, and non-
opening unless..." Do they not teach punctuation any longer?

Cheers
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-02-17 13:23:53 +0000, geraldthehamster said:

[...]

todays fantabulous legal-ese.
Remember they don;t really want you to be able to understand it
yourself....they want you to go and ask and either allow them to earn
their comfy salary and pension....or ask another planning
"consultant" (ex local authority) or similar to interpret it for
you...

JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

geraldthehamster wrote:
[...]

Oh, OK, my fault for not being more prosperous ;-)
Simon.

permitted development query JimK[_2_] UK diy 8 February 2nd 10 11:04 PM
Permitted Development noise standards w.r.t. ASHP ? js.b1 UK diy 0 September 20th 09 09:40 PM
Permitted development mogga UK diy 9 March 9th 09 07:21 PM
Permitted development and the 4m high rule dg UK diy 2 February 28th 07 12:35 AM
Permitted Development and planning [email protected] UK diy 14 March 16th 06 09:24 AM