Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aerobic pumps good service

The aeration pump on my aerobic sewage treatment plant failed so I phoned
the pump manufacturer for details of my nearest stockist. They could not
tell who to go to but said you can buy direct from us. So I asked how much
and was quoted £345 including carriage and VAT. After quite a lot of
searching on the net I found the same pump listed at £190. The amount of the
rip-off pricing by the manufacturer was not the real surprise but the
stockist was. I found out that koi carp keepers favour them for reliability.
Fantastic service from Absolute Koi who got it to me by the next day and
only charged £5.95 for the carriage.

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Feb, 17:43, "Peter Crosland" wrote:
The aeration pump on my aerobic sewage treatment plant failed

I found out that koi carp keepers favour them for reliability.

Lift pump on our septic tank for years was an old pub beer pump. It
replaced two very expensive Stuart Turner pumps that had failed in
very short times.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 16 Feb, 17:43, "Peter Crosland" wrote:
The aeration pump on my aerobic sewage treatment plant failed

I found out that koi carp keepers favour them for reliability.

Lift pump on our septic tank for years was an old pub beer pump. It
replaced two very expensive Stuart Turner pumps that had failed in
very short times.

My aeration pump is a Medo and had run non stop, apart from power cuts, for
eight years. Not bad in my opinion with the only maintenance required was a
filter change. When I get to dismantle the faulty one it will be interesting
to see what has failed.

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Feb, 15:57, "Peter Crosland" wrote:

When I get to dismantle the faulty one it will be interesting to see what has failed.

Indeed. There's no good reason for an aeration pump to fail (it's a
benign environment, compared to a lift pump), if adequately
constructed. I'd guess at bearing lubrication failure, but if I can
have a cheap bike where I can easily service the the bearings, why is
a few hundred quid of pump built as a throw-away?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 17 Feb, 15:57, "Peter Crosland" wrote:

When I get to dismantle the faulty one it will be interesting to see what
has failed.

Indeed. There's no good reason for an aeration pump to fail (it's a
benign environment, compared to a lift pump), if adequately
constructed. I'd guess at bearing lubrication failure, but if I can
have a cheap bike where I can easily service the the bearings, why is
a few hundred quid of pump built as a throw-away?

It is best not to jump to conclusions without first checking the facts. The
Medo pumps are not a throwaway item as you would know if you looked at the
design. It is quite interesting because there are no rotating parts, no
bearings and no gears. There are two pistons that incorporate a linear motor
that alternately push against springs which return the pistons to the start
position. The manufacturer sells a service kit that includes replacement
pistons and gaskets. Assuming the pump is serviceable I shall buy a kit and
thus have spare ready if I need one in future

Peter Crosland

How to: Clearstream aerobic septic controller? RB[_2_] Home Repair 1 April 23rd 09 05:55 AM
Shower pumps - any good? Pete L UK diy 7 April 6th 09 03:01 PM
Need help with the timer on an oldham aerobic system Karen Moerl Home Repair 0 October 26th 06 03:56 AM
Zoeller sump pumps need service every 5-7 years? Ignoramus24108 Home Repair 11 June 29th 06 07:37 AM
Forced into an aerobic septic system Michelle Home Ownership 4 November 13th 04 02:44 AM