Posted to alt.home.repair
Ignoramus24108

Default Zoeller sump pumps need service every 5-7 years?

After I bought that 137 Zoeller sump pump, I decided to call Zoeller.

I asked them how long should they last before being serviced.

The rep's response surprised me, he said that they want them serviced
every 5-7 years.

Now, that does not sound like a long time to me!

Also, they said that the impeller is made of cast iron. Would not such
impellers rust?

Any thoughts?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well you can spend double for bronze that doesn't rust, Zoeller makes
them too.\
After 5-7 years the microswith has about had it.
What would you prefer, regular service or a failure?
Ignoramus24108 wrote:
After I bought that 137 Zoeller sump pump, I decided to call Zoeller.

I asked them how long should they last before being serviced.

The rep's response surprised me, he said that they want them serviced
every 5-7 years.

Now, that does not sound like a long time to me!

Also, they said that the impeller is made of cast iron. Would not such
impellers rust?

Any thoughts?

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Set the pump to run long cycles, by having the pit fill up. In 7 yrs you
will forget and it will likely be fine for much longer. But its life
depends on the use it gets, if it runs every day, alot, you may want to
replace it in 7 yrs, I have a pump in use most every day that is maybe
80 yrs old and many that are 40+

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:54:26 GMT, Ignoramus24108
wrote:

After I bought that 137 Zoeller sump pump, I decided to call Zoeller.

I asked them how long should they last before being serviced.

The rep's response surprised me, he said that they want them serviced
every 5-7 years.

Now, that does not sound like a long time to me!

Also, they said that the impeller is made of cast iron. Would not such
impellers rust?

Any thoughts?

I'd sure rather have a cast iron impeller than a piece of crap plastic
that disintegrates from small sand particles that are always in the
pit.

I have used this brand of pump and find them top of the line.
I service them when they break. What else is there to fix? Run them
every so often so they dont cease up, and check the cord for frays or
damage, plus be sure the float is not sticking. Thats about all it
takes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Gary Dyrkacz

wrote:

After I bought that 137 Zoeller sump pump, I decided to call Zoeller.

I asked them how long should they last before being serviced.

The rep's response surprised me, he said that they want them serviced
every 5-7 years.

Now, that does not sound like a long time to me!

Also, they said that the impeller is made of cast iron. Would not such
impellers rust?

Any thoughts?

Ah shucks! I saw this thread after I responded in the original about
te swicth lifetimes. Repeating:

I have the 1/3 HP Zoeller which is one of the links on the posted
site. In fact, I now have two. One older one in reserve.

Murphy's Law predicts that sump pumps will only go out right after a
big rainstorm and just after noon on Saturday when the nearest pump
and replacement parts shop that handles Zoeller equipment closes for
the weekend.

Before I bought the second pump I used to keep an extra replacement
switch kit handy. If the switch mechanism is the same for the 1/2 HP
as for the 1/3, then you may want to see if you can puchase a
replacement switch. It seems I get about 6-8 years on a switch before
it goes bad. The replacement is pretty straightforward. The motor
seems to last forever.

Gary Dyrkacz

Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+
http://home.comcast.net/~dyrgcmn/
Junior Member

Location: SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignoramus24108
After I bought that 137 Zoeller sump pump, I decided to call Zoeller.

I asked them how long should they last before being serviced.

The rep's response surprised me, he said that they want them serviced
every 5-7 years.

Now, that does not sound like a long time to me!

Also, they said that the impeller is made of cast iron. Would not such
impellers rust?

Any thoughts?

The Zoeller 137 per the manufactures selection guide states….
”Durable cast construction. Cast switch case, motor and pump housing, base and impeller. No sheet metal parts to rust or corrode….”

Its primary use is for septic tanks which are part of waste/ effluent system. Cast iron is a proven product for drainage, waste and storm drain systems.

Model 139 is all bronze construction

Here are some … Stainless Steel Automatic Sewage Pumps by Ebara
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

wrote:

After I bought that 137 Zoeller sump pump, I decided to call Zoeller.

I asked them how long should they last before being serviced.

The rep's response surprised me, he said that they want them serviced
every 5-7 years.

Now, that does not sound like a long time to me!

Also, they said that the impeller is made of cast iron. Would not such
impellers rust?

Any thoughts?

They should be looked at periodically, a couple times a year, to see
that they are working. Lift up the float if you can and watch it pump
the water out. Everything ok?

I've had my house for 23 years, and it was 4 y.o. when I got it. I
don't think the pump was expensive. When I got it, iirc the old owner
had already done something so the long float rod would be held in
place at the bottom correctly. Or maybe not but if not I fixed it a
couple years later. it was held in place at the top by a hole in the
"micro"switch arm.) Not every pump uses a long vertical float rod but
this design did. The old thing, the lower support, rusted out and
something like a flat-lead tv antenna stand-off (for an antenna mast,
a couple dollars at Radio Shack) was used or I used to clamp to the
vertical sump pump pipe and the plastic end had a hole big enough for
the float rod to move freely.

After that, nothing went wwrong until it was about 14 years old. The
main pipe through which the water went rusted at the water line so it
was in two pieces. When I went to replace the pump, the similar pump
now had a plastic pipe. I doubt that part will fail again. And I
wouldn't be surprised if this pump last 30 years or more.

I don't think your impeller will rust out. It's probably below the
water line and it rusts a lot less there. My impeller had a bit of
rust, but 99.9% of the impeller was still there after 14 years.

My switch was fine too, but by putting the water level 2 inches higher
than it was, but still 6 inches below the floor, I arranged it to only
run on very wet days. I live in the East too, and right next to a
stream. For 18 years I never heard the sump pump when I was upstairs,
but something changed a couple years ago, and now at my desk, with the
tv on and the computer fan making noise, I hear when it goes on and 24
seconds later, I hear it go off. So I know it's working, at least
most of it.

One of my neighbors *thought* she had a problem. When I went over
there, the motor was humming constantly. Her pipe had rusted too and
the motor which is attached to it fell over and the pump couldn't
turn, so the motor was on continuously, doing nothing. I told her to
get a new sump pump. I don't see how anyone here could have the
original one anymore, but I doubt any replacements had the metal main
pipe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Why did you replace the pump because the pipe was rusted? It's just a
piece of plumbing pipe screwed into the pump. Of course the threads
were likely rusted, but some rust buster or a torch will usually
remove them. Or you could have put a Fernco coupling on the stub pipe
and some new pipe.

While I hate plastic impellers, PVC pipe is the best. No more rusting
pipe. However, here is a tip. Never lift the pump out of the hole by
the PVC pipe. I did that once and the pipe snapped off at the threaded
adaptor on the end. Was not the biggest problem but it ****ed me off
for my own stupidity, and was a pain to get the broken pvc piece out
of the threads.

I will agree with the person that said to keep a spare switch for a
Zoeller. That seems to be their weakest part. A gasket is needed too
for the housing over it. A spare switch and gasket is a good idea to
keep on hand, although I have always preferred keeping a spare pump on
hand. I always keep an old beater pump (that works), and keep one of
those flexible sump pump hoses attached to it. If by chance my
regular pump dies and the basement starts to flood, I can just toss
that pipe out a window and plug it in without any wasted time
connecting stuff. I have used this pump for other uses too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

plastic pipes do crack.

from the manufactuers position,

hey we sell a quality product but nothing lasts forever.

buy a new pump please!!!

its good for business and in a use that could cause damage if the pump
fails a excellent idea.

pumps dont cost that much cheap insurance if you ask me

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 04:14:48 -0500, wrote:

One of my neighbors *thought* she had a problem. When I went over
there, the motor was humming constantly. Her pipe had rusted too and
the motor which is attached to it fell over and the pump couldn't
turn, so the motor was on continuously, doing nothing. I told her to

I recall now that the motor was on for a while, and then the built in
circuit breaker or thermal interrupt would stop it. Then a few
minutes later it would reset itself and hum for a few minutes again.

It didn't run "continuously".

get a new sump pump. I don't see how anyone here could have the
original one anymore, but I doubt any replacements had the metal main
pipe.

Why did you replace the pump because the pipe was rusted? It's just a

Because it was a disgusting rurty, wet piece of crud to work on. And
I had to remove it to do anything to it. Might as well replace it.
I'm as thrifty as anyone you know, but I have my limits.

piece of plumbing pipe screwed into the pump. Of course the threads
were likely rusted, but some rust buster or a torch will usually
remove them.

I don't want to go through all that. I think the new pump was only
about 30 dollars (10 years ago.)

Also by cutting the horizontal piece and removing a bit of it, and
rotating the vertical piece a bit, I was able to use the plastic sump
cover that the house came with but which wouldn't fit, and certainly
wouldn't fit and still allow the float to go up and down.

I was very happy with what 30 dollars bought me.

I did save the motor with the switch, the impeller rod, and the
impelller. I've used two motors -- I don't know where I got them --
one to power the cheap belt sander, and one to power my second bench
grinder. (The first one is almost a toy, with a jig saw on the other
end.)

Pardon Lottery jim rozen Metalworking 37 April 12th 06 06:34 AM
Vaillant VCW GB 242E - replace pump after 10 years service ? Graham UK diy 9 March 21st 06 08:05 PM
Newbie Q: sump pump [email protected] Home Ownership 6 January 14th 06 09:09 PM
Back up sump pumps ? PV Home Ownership 0 August 3rd 04 08:12 PM
SONY poor service Eric Electronics Repair 2 September 10th 03 05:28 AM