Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Passageway ceiling

We have passageway through our house that our builder is plastering,
having put up plasterboard. Although, it does not get rained on, one
end id open and therfore exposed to damp air. What is the best sort of
paint to use to protect the plaster from damp. I had wondered about
bathroom paint or weathershield.

Any advice would be welcomed.

thanks

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Jonathan wrote:
We have passageway through our house that our builder is plastering,
having put up plasterboard. Although, it does not get rained on, one
end id open and therfore exposed to damp air. What is the best sort of
paint to use to protect the plaster from damp. I had wondered about
bathroom paint or weathershield.

Any advice would be welcomed.

I have a Victorian house where the front door is set back from the outside
wall by about a metre. Both side walls between door and front wall are
plastered and painted. Seems to have survived rather better than some of
the interior plaster. ;-)

--
*Remember not to forget that which you do not need to know.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 23:42:18 -0800 (PST), Jonathan
wrote:

We have passageway through our house that our builder is plastering,
having put up plasterboard. Although, it does not get rained on, one
end id open and therfore exposed to damp air. What is the best sort of
paint to use to protect the plaster from damp. I had wondered about
bathroom paint or weathershield.

Any advice would be welcomed.

I seem to recall someone recently when discussing bathroom emulsion
mentioned going in to a Dulux Trade Centre and buying (iirc) Dulux
Diamond ( ???) emulsion .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 10:09:49 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article
,
Jonathan wrote:
We have passageway through our house that our builder is plastering,
having put up plasterboard. Although, it does not get rained on, one
end id open and therfore exposed to damp air. What is the best sort of
paint to use to protect the plaster from damp. I had wondered about
bathroom paint or weathershield.

Any advice would be welcomed.

I have a Victorian house where the front door is set back from the outside
wall by about a metre. Both side walls between door and front wall are
plastered and painted. Seems to have survived rather better than some of
the interior plaster. ;-)

Yes but that will be lime plaster, which does not fall to bits when it
gets damp. The OP has gypsum plaster in which case the answer is

Take off the plasterboard, redo with Heracliff board, lime plaster and
limewash

You dont like that answer? OK

Choose a waterproof paint Oil based gloss? Bathroom paint? and it will
probably be OK. Add another coat of paint in a year or two as and when
the waterproof film shows signs of breaking up and letting damp
through to the plaster

Anna
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anna Kettle wrote:
On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 10:09:49 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article
,
Jonathan wrote:
[...]

What the hell is a heracliff board?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathan wrote:
We have passageway through our house that our builder is plastering,
having put up plasterboard. Although, it does not get rained on, one
end id open and therfore exposed to damp air. What is the best sort of
paint to use to protect the plaster from damp. I had wondered about
bathroom paint or weathershield.

Any advice would be welcomed.

thanks

Jonathan

one end is open to the outside air?

There should be a defined boundary between inside (insulated)
and outside (uninsulated).

Sometimes the weather boundary is different than the insulation boundary.

Perhaps you should add mini walls to define which is outside and which
is inside.
I know I must do something similar when the roof is back on.

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Feb, 13:57, Stuart Noble wrote:

What the hell is a heracliff board?

Like plasterboard, but it's waterproof enough to keep ghosts out on a
Yorkshire moor?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 9 Feb, 13:57, Stuart Noble wrote:

What the hell is a heracliff board?

Like plasterboard, but it's waterproof enough to keep ghosts out on a
Yorkshire moor?

Will it shut Kate Bush out too?