Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Painting ordinary wallpaper

Hi all,

I'm hoping to paint the existing wallpaper in my hall
i.e. use it as lining paper.

Don't really want to strip it all and put real lining paper up, we may
be moving in the near future.

As a test I've tried painting a square metre or two with white
emulsion to see if it bubbles or peels but the paper seems fine, no
evidence of lifting.

However there is a very slight relief to the pattern when I run my
fingers over it and the pattern is a strong blue / white contrast.

Therefore the pattern shows through faintly even after a couple of
coats of cheap Dulux emulsion both in terms of embossing and colour.

I'm thinking of using the white emulsion for a couple of coats to hide
the pattern and level out the very slight dips, then applying one or
two coats of the chosen (mushroom) colour at the end.

Are there any tips you can offer that will help to hide both the
strong pattern and the relief?

How good is 'One-coat' paint?

Are there any additives or thickening agent that I could add to the
white emulsion for the first coat to help hide the relief?
--

blackbat /\x/\

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 16:46:50 +0000, Mike P
wrote:

Lol

well go on then...explain why
--

blackbat /\x/\
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"blackbat" wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 16:46:50 +0000, Mike P
wrote:

Lol

well go on then...explain why

Just adding something to emulsion so it will make rough walls smooth.....

....if you know how to do that you could make several fortunes.

(1) Strip the wallpaper
(2) Paint it several times and pretend the raised pattern is a feature
(easiest).
(3) Get someone to skim the wall with plaster (although doing that over
paper is potentially dodgy unless the paper is very well fixed).

I believe Dulux do a special product which is supposed to spread on walls
and ceilings and take out imperfections.
Many plasterers have noted with delight the discarded buckets of this
product when they are asked in to sort out the results.
Covering a rough surface and getting a smoth finish is a skilled job.

HTH

Dave R

(4) Carefully paint around all the patterned bits untill the wall is smooth.
If you paint onto the pattern you will just raise it higher.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Lol

well go on then...explain why

Just adding something to emulsion so it will make rough walls smooth.....

...if you know how to do that you could make several fortunes.

(1) Strip the wallpaper
(2) Paint it several times and pretend the raised pattern is a feature
(easiest).
(3) Get someone to skim the wall with plaster (although doing that over
paper is potentially dodgy unless the paper is very well fixed).

I believe Dulux do a special product which is supposed to spread on
walls and ceilings and take out imperfections.
Many plasterers have noted with delight the discarded buckets of this
product when they are asked in to sort out the results.
Covering a rough surface and getting a smoth finish is a skilled job.

Not if the surface is level. I've flattened a couple of Artex ceilings,
and I'd say it's one of the simpler plastering jobs.
In this case I might try trowelling on a fine surface filler

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 18:55:23 -0000, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

Just adding something to emulsion so it will make rough walls smooth.....

...if you know how to do that you could make several fortunes.

Maybe I worded that badly...
I guess I was looking for a *very slightly* textured paint, similar to
the effect when one first applies a roller before the paint dries.

(1) Strip the wallpaper
(2) Paint it several times and pretend the raised pattern is a feature
(easiest).

(3) Get someone to skim the wall with plaster (although doing that over
paper is potentially dodgy unless the paper is very well fixed).

I'd sooner strip the walls and get it skimmed if I could afford a
plasterer :-)

I believe Dulux do a special product which is supposed to spread on walls
and ceilings and take out imperfections.
Many plasterers have noted with delight the discarded buckets of this
product when they are asked in to sort out the results.
Covering a rough surface and getting a smoth finish is a skilled job.

Agreed - maybe I should have emphasised how slight the relief of the
pattern is. It certainly doesn't warrant the Dulux stuff you're
talking about.

Also the paper is butted, rather than overlapped and I have had quite
reasonable results with a very thin skim over the joints.

HTH

Dave R

(4) Carefully paint around all the patterned bits untill the wall is smooth.
If you paint onto the pattern you will just raise it higher.

Hmmm, on my test area I have applied 4 coats of emulsion with a
roller. The pattern has almost disappeared. I'm just looking for a
method to use fewer coats.
--

blackbat /\x/\
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"blackbat" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 18:55:23 -0000, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

snip
Hmmm, on my test area I have applied 4 coats of emulsion with a
roller. The pattern has almost disappeared. I'm just looking for a
method to use fewer coats.

Use a brush?
The roller won't fill in around a pattern particularly well - it will paint
the raised bit but not fill in the dips.
Perhaps do the first coat with a brush and work the paint in well around the
pattern, then try the next coat with a roller.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 12:35:46 -0000, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

"blackbat" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 18:55:23 -0000, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

snip
Hmmm, on my test area I have applied 4 coats of emulsion with a
roller. The pattern has almost disappeared. I'm just looking for a
method to use fewer coats.

Use a brush?
The roller won't fill in around a pattern particularly well - it will paint
the raised bit but not fill in the dips.
Perhaps do the first coat with a brush and work the paint in well around the
pattern, then try the next coat with a roller.

Thanks for the answer but I'm thinking I'll have to bite the bullet
and strip the paper. Didn't want to play golf for a fortnight anyway.
--

blackbat /\x/\

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 15:27:51 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

add polyskim.

???
never used it...surely you're not suggesting adding it to the paint?
--

blackbat /\x/\

Posted to uk.d-i-y

blackbat wrote:
On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 15:27:51 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

add polyskim.

???
never used it...surely you're not suggesting adding it to the paint?

no. suggesting skimming over the paper first.

Painting over Wallpaper redone Home Repair 3 November 12th 06 03:56 AM
painting wallpaper?!! dazednotconfused UK diy 3 April 3rd 05 12:14 PM
Painting Over Wallpaper Decij Home Repair 8 January 22nd 05 11:22 PM
Painting Wallpaper Freda UK diy 3 January 17th 04 04:08 PM
Painting over Wallpaper Patscga Home Ownership 3 December 14th 03 05:29 PM