Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting over Wallpaper

I am in the middle of removing wallpaper from a 30+ yr home. The top vinyl
wallpaper came off with ease. The layer beneath was thin paper wallpaper
that was adheared directly to the sheet rock. Removing this wallpaper
endangered the sheet rock, so we're going to level the seams with sanding,
apply compound, sand smooth, use an oil-based stain-blocking primer, then
paint with a faux texture. I sure hope we're going in the right
direction!

Red~
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 15:21:32 -0600, redone wrote:

I am in the middle of removing wallpaper from a 30+ yr home. The top vinyl
wallpaper came off with ease. The layer beneath was thin paper wallpaper
that was adheared directly to the sheet rock. Removing this wallpaper
endangered the sheet rock, so we're going to level the seams with sanding,
apply compound, sand smooth, use an oil-based stain-blocking primer, then
paint with a faux texture. I sure hope we're going in the right
direction!

Red~

You are doing the correct thing. I't about the only practical thing you can
do when wallpaper has been applied to unprimed sheet rock.

It has been done many times before so we know it works.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"redone" wrote in
news:e783ee924ce96a09a56fbb5a409bebc3@homerepairli ve.com:

I am in the middle of removing wallpaper from a 30+ yr home. The top
vinyl wallpaper came off with ease. The layer beneath was thin paper
wallpaper that was adheared directly to the sheet rock. Removing this
wallpaper endangered the sheet rock, so we're going to level the seams
with sanding, apply compound, sand smooth, use an oil-based
stain-blocking primer, then paint with a faux texture. I sure hope
we're going in the right direction!

Red~

endangered the sheet rock

Not sure what endangered means in this case.

If there is any wallpaper or wallpaper backing left on the wall, it will
bubble in places if you put compound or latex paint on top of it. You
need to oil base prime before putting anything, including compound, on
the wall. Then do your compounding, smoothing, painting, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 19:55:40 -0600, Al Bundy wrote:

[...]

You are correct. Priming it first with oil base primer is the safest thing
to do.