Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Xpelair comes on when central heatinf comes on!

Can anyone explain why my expelair has started coming on this year
when the central heating comes on in a morning?
thanks,
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can anyone explain why my expelair has started coming on this year
when the central heating comes on in a morning?

Humidistat ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
RichardL wrote:
Can anyone explain why my expelair has started coming on this year
when the central heating comes on in a morning?
thanks,

Some clues might help...

Where is it? What type? How is it controlled? What is it powered from?

Probably the same reason my PIR controlled front door light comes on
when you use the downstairs toilet........... and switch off the
fluorescent light!

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RichardL" wrote in message

Yeah sorry. Over the shower in an en suite with 1 rad. It's an auto on
one set for humidity and works brill when shower is used. Never comes
on for anything else. Just started this winter, comes on when the
central heating has been on for half hour.

I would guess that you have a leak in the shower sealant..
water is then being evaporated by the heat from the CH and raising the
humidity enough to operate the switch.

Do you have a hygrometer somewhere that you can put in the room to see if
the humidity does go up when the heating is on?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 13:15:43 -0000, dennis@home wrote:

Yeah sorry. Over the shower in an en suite with 1 rad. It's an

auto on
one set for humidity and works brill when shower is used. Never

comes
on for anything else. Just started this winter, comes on when the
central heating has been on for half hour.

I would guess that you have a leak in the shower sealant.. water is then
being evaporated by the heat from the CH and raising the humidity enough
to operate the switch.

Except that as the air warms up the relative humidity drops as warm
air can "hold" more moisture than cold...

I'd be more tempted to think that the switching circuit of the fan is
detecting a thermostat opening in the CH system some where. As
mechanical thermostats age they can become sluggish in opening and
generate and arc for several seconds. Tune a MW radio between
stations and listen for loud pops, splats or long buzzes and see if
one of those coincides with the fan turning on, then try and work out
what is switching.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 7, 3:46*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
[...]

Dave,
can I just get this right?
You are suggesting that the mechanical thermostat on the rad is
causing my extractor fan to come on!!
What is an arc? An arc of what?
cheers for staying with me on this one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

er... *electro*-mechanical presumably?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

er... *electro*-mechanical presumably?- Hide quoted text -

The £5 radiator thermostat? The one that stops or starts the flow on a
given setting 1-5? Are we talking the same thing here or am I being a
bit thick!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 04:33:36 -0800 (PST), RichardL wrote:

Except that as the air warms up the relative humidity drops as

warm
air can "hold" more moisture than cold...

I'd be more tempted to think that the switching circuit of the fan

is
detecting a thermostat opening in the CH system some where. As
mechanical thermostats age they can become sluggish in opening and
generate and arc for several seconds. Tune a MW radio between
stations and listen for loud pops, splats or long buzzes and see

if
one of those coincides with the fan turning on, then try and work

out
what is switching.

can I just get this right?
You are suggesting that the mechanical thermostat on the rad is causing
my extractor fan to come on!!

No not the mechanical thermostatic valve (TRV) on the radiator(s) but
the room thermostat that turns the heating on/off as required by room
temperature. Not so old systems may not have a room stat just TRVs
everywhere. These systems waste energy cause all the time the heating
is programmed to be on the chances are the pump will be running and
the boiler firing (short cycling) to keep itself and bypass loop hot.

What is an arc? An arc of what?

When ever a switch opens there is a spark or arc between the
contacts. If the contacts don't snap open the arc can be sustained
through the air for several seconds until the gap gets to large. This
arc generates not only noise and light but also radio frequenies.
These can be detected by the off tune MW radio or sensitive
electronics either by through the air radiation or more likely, in
the case of the errant fan, via the wiring.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Feb, 13:54, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
[...]

Dave.- Hide quoted text -

Wow! Nice one Dave - I love how you learn something new from the
strangest question.
Anyway - no Room Thermostat, just the boiler on a timer and TRV's in
every room. The fan comes on about 30 mins after the boiler fires up.
Do we still think it's a leak?
I've had condensation this year inside the windows every morning for
the first time ever in a winter.
regards,

Xpelair GX9. / WX9. Peter C UK diy 0 April 24th 07 12:21 AM
Xpelair 9 inch extrator fan Peter C UK diy 2 January 28th 07 12:24 AM
Xpelair Extractor Fans Yaz UK diy 2 October 25th 06 10:34 PM
Xpelair extractor fan stixwix UK diy 5 November 7th 05 11:53 PM
Xpelair fan John Edgar UK diy 8 August 11th 04 10:40 AM