John Edgar

Default Xpelair fan

We have an Xpelair extractor fan in our conservatory to try and dump
excess heat. It is now 4 years old and seems to run rather more slowly
than it used to.

Can I take off the inside cover, and oil the bearings? There are 2
screws, top and bottom on the cover. If I remove these will I be able
to carry out such a service and clean it up as well?

Thanks in advance for help.
John
In limine sapientiae
Mike James

:
: Can I take off the inside cover, and oil the bearings? There are 2
: screws, top and bottom on the cover. If I remove these will I be able
: to carry out such a service and clean it up as well?
:
: Thanks in advance for help.
: John
: In limine sapientiae
Sure can John.
I have the same built in a cavity wall in the bathroom, and periodically
have to do the same thing. If you remove the inside & outside cover you will
find an oiling hole either side (in & out) slap bang in the middle of the
shaft for the inside, & just to the top of centre on the outside (fan end).
Hope all goes well.
Regards.
Mike.

John Edgar

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 12:53:23 +0000 (UTC), "Mike James"
wrote:

"John Edgar" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Great thanks a lot. I'll give it a go.
John
In limine sapientiae
Mike James

"John Edgar" wrote in message

: Snip a bitt

: Great thanks a lot. I'll give it a go.
: John
: In limine sapientiae
Glad to be of service.
Make a good job now and make sure it doesn't fly off the wall with all that
extra speed ;-))
Mike.

John Edgar

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 14:07:42 +0000 (UTC), "Mike James"
wrote:

"John Edgar" wrote in message
.. .

: Snip a bitt

: Great thanks a lot. I'll give it a go.
: John
: In limine sapientiae
Glad to be of service.
Make a good job now and make sure it doesn't fly off the wall with all that
extra speed ;-))
Mike.

A slight problem has arisen as, to quote Richard Nixon, I misspoke.
The fan is a "Wickes" own brand and not Xpelair. When I took the
covers off I found this out. Naturally I had been looking at the small
"W" logo on the front and wondering what the hell it was! I can see no
oiling points on this fan anywhere. If there isn't an immediate
answer available, perhaps I should go and see Wickes and see what they
have to say about it.
John
In limine sapientiae

Lurch

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 11:33:07 +0100, John Edgar
strung together this:

A slight problem has arisen as, to quote Richard Nixon, I misspoke.
The fan is a "Wickes" own brand and not Xpelair.

That's that then, it'l be a sealed unit that needs replacing iif it
doesn't work. It never was as quiet as an Xpelair so you may as well
bin the cheapo Wickes fan and fit a decent one.
Incidently, how did you come to the conclusion that 'W' stood for
'Xpelair'?
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
John Edgar

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 20:41:54 +0100, Lurch
wrote:

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 11:33:07 +0100, John Edgar
strung together this:

A slight problem has arisen as, to quote Richard Nixon, I misspoke.
The fan is a "Wickes" own brand and not Xpelair.

That's that then, it'l be a sealed unit that needs replacing iif it
doesn't work. It never was as quiet as an Xpelair so you may as well
bin the cheapo Wickes fan and fit a decent one.
Incidently, how did you come to the conclusion that 'W' stood for
'Xpelair'?

Don't know. It must have been my Chinese blood getting in the way.
Could I fit an Xpelair motor and fan into the Wickes body without
having to remove the whole damn thing from the window?
John
In limine sapientiae
Lurch

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 11:24:08 +0100, John Edgar
strung together this:

Could I fit an Xpelair motor and fan into the Wickes body without
having to remove the whole damn thing from the window?

You'd have to buy one and try it, I would just remove the Wickes one
and fit the Xpelair but if you've got a bit of 'fiddling about time'
then it's worth a shot, as long as you don't wreck the Xpelair in the
process.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
John Edgar

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:24:45 +0100, Lurch
wrote:

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 11:24:08 +0100, John Edgar
strung together this:

Could I fit an Xpelair motor and fan into the Wickes body without
having to remove the whole damn thing from the window?

You'd have to buy one and try it, I would just remove the Wickes one
and fit the Xpelair but if you've got a bit of 'fiddling about time'
then it's worth a shot, as long as you don't wreck the Xpelair in the
process.

OK, ta muchly.
John
In limine sapientiae