Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wiring an 11.2kW Electric Shower

Hi everyone

Was hoping somebody could tell me whether the way in which I have
wired my 11.2kW electric shower is appropriate or not. I did the
wiring myself about 3 years ago - Would probably get a professional in
these days, but was a skint student at the time!

I had an electrician in yesterday and he commented that it was not
suitable because of the type of RCCD used. He then went on to tell me
that I would be as well getting a new consumer unit, fitted with
RCBO's (my current consumer unit uses MCB's which are of a different
type to the ones commonly sold these days). Between parts (£90) and
labour (£150) i would rather not do this...

The wiring goes like this:

- Consumer Unit (100A) fitted with 45A MCB
- Tails
- 63A, 30mA RCCB
- 16mm2 T&E
- 50A Pull Switch
- 16mm2 T&E to shower

He told me that I should not be using a 63A RCCB for the shower (too
high). My thinking when I installed the shower was that this would be
ok as I have the 45A MCB for overcurrent/short-circuit protection and
the 30mA RCCB for current leakage. I thought that the 63A rating
purely relates to the maximum allowable current which can be passed
through the RCCB.

Can anybody confirm whether this is ok from the point of view of:

1 - Safety
2 - Wiring regs (forgetting the fact i shouldn't be doing the wiring
in the first place)

Many thanks, Miguel