Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing drawers from Filing cabinet

I have an Ostaline 2 drawer grey metal filing cabinet, I need to remove
the drawers to make some mods to the case. Does anyone know if there is
a little catch or toggle that releases the slide to remove drawers. I
don't want to damage the mechanism by being a bit rough with it.
Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill
wibbled on Monday 01 February 2010 16:26

I have an Ostaline 2 drawer grey metal filing cabinet, I need to remove
the drawers to make some mods to the case. Does anyone know if there is
a little catch or toggle that releases the slide to remove drawers. I
don't want to damage the mechanism by being a bit rough with it.
Don

Usually some little wibbly catch on the rails. Sometimes next to the drawer
end, sometimes halfway down where the two halves of the rail join. One on
each side.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Donwill
wibbled on Monday 01 February 2010 16:26

I have an Ostaline 2 drawer grey metal filing cabinet, I need to remove
the drawers to make some mods to the case. Does anyone know if there is
a little catch or toggle that releases the slide to remove drawers. I
don't want to damage the mechanism by being a bit rough with it.
Don

Usually some little wibbly catch on the rails. Sometimes next to the
drawer
end, sometimes halfway down where the two halves of the rail join. One on
each side.

--
Tim Watts

Some drawers lift off the rail / runner.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 16:26:52 +0000, Donwill
wrote:

I have an Ostaline 2 drawer grey metal filing cabinet, I need to remove
the drawers to make some mods to the case. Does anyone know if there is
a little catch or toggle that releases the slide to remove drawers. I
don't want to damage the mechanism by being a bit rough with it.
Don

Assuming filing cabinets are made the way theye were when I worked in
an office then pull the drawer right out ( but watch it doesn't tip
over if it is top heavy) then check if there is a catch on the runners
...one at each side and if there is then poperate the catch and the
drawer should pull out the runners ....or if not see if there is a gap
in the moving runner that coincides with a lip on the drawer runner
and tip the drawer up at that point and it should lift out .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pull drawer out as far as it goes; pull front upwards (so the drawer is
angled upwards), and pull some more.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill wrote:
I have an Ostaline 2 drawer grey metal filing cabinet, I need to
remove the drawers to make some mods to the case. Does anyone know if
there is a little catch or toggle that releases the slide to remove
drawers. I don't want to damage the mechanism by being a bit rough
with it.

Angle grinder.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Donwill wrote:

I have an Ostaline 2 drawer grey metal filing cabinet, I need to
remove the drawers to make some mods to the case. Does anyone know if
there is a little catch or toggle that releases the slide to remove
drawers. I don't want to damage the mechanism by being a bit rough
with it.

Angle grinder.

It may come to that since I cannot find anything that remotely looks
like a toggle or a catch gismo.
Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Angle grinder.

It may come to that since I cannot find anything that remotely looks
like a toggle or a catch gismo.

In that case do what I suggested: pull up the front of the drawer when
it gets to its limit, then pull outwards again: there's probably two
sets of overlapping castors in rails, in there.

Cheers
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Donwill
writes
I have an Ostaline 2 drawer grey metal filing cabinet, I need to remove
the drawers to make some mods to the case. Does anyone know if there is
a little catch or toggle that releases the slide to remove drawers. I
don't want to damage the mechanism by being a bit rough with it.
Don

Just to be different, the drawers on one of mine are screwed to the
runners at the sides. Probably only applies to wooden cabinets though.

The metal cabinets have catches at the front of the runners.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Angle grinder.

It may come to that since I cannot find anything that remotely looks
like a toggle or a catch gismo.

Perhaps if you were to put some detail photos on line somewhere
we might be able to make suggestions. Whilst not impossible, I
don't think the easiest construction methods would make the
drawers permanent.

One of mine has little plastic devices for release, but the
cheaper one simply has metal tabs on the slides locating in slots
in the drawer.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill wrote:
I have an Ostaline 2 drawer grey metal filing cabinet, I need to
remove the drawers to make some mods to the case. Does anyone know if
there is a little catch or toggle that releases the slide to remove
drawers. I don't want to damage the mechanism by being a bit rough
with it.
Don

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions , I got them out in the end.
For anyone wanting to do the same with a similar cabinet :-
For each drawer, there were two small push-fit black plastic covers that
hid metal tags protruding upwards from the front of the metal runners.
These tags were located into slots in the upside down U channels that
are positioned at the sides of the base of the drawer.
The tags were slightly twisted to hold the drawer on to the slides and
slight untwisting with a pliers and a gentle tap on the tags released
the drawers.

Many thanks
Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Donwill wrote:

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions , I got them out in the end.
For anyone wanting to do the same with a similar cabinet :-
For each drawer, there were two small push-fit black plastic covers that
hid metal tags protruding upwards from the front of the metal runners.
These tags were located into slots in the upside down U channels that
are positioned at the sides of the base of the drawer.
The tags were slightly twisted to hold the drawer on to the slides and
slight untwisting with a pliers and a gentle tap on the tags released
the drawers.

Blimey. Looks like we were all wrong then, afaicr. The lengths people
will go to, to protect us from ourselves! :-)

J.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John L wrote:

In article ,
Donwill wrote:

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions , I got them out in the end.
For anyone wanting to do the same with a similar cabinet :-
For each drawer, there were two small push-fit black plastic covers that
hid metal tags protruding upwards from the front of the metal runners.
These tags were located into slots in the upside down U channels that
are positioned at the sides of the base of the drawer.
The tags were slightly twisted to hold the drawer on to the slides and
slight untwisting with a pliers and a gentle tap on the tags released
the drawers.

Blimey. Looks like we were all wrong then, afaicr. The lengths people
will go to, to protect us from ourselves! :-)

I thought I was close with my second option:

One of mine has little plastic devices for release, but the
cheaper one simply has metal tabs on the slides locating in slots
in the drawer.

Glad it got sorted without weapons of mass destruction.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Very heavy filing cabinet Martin Pentreath UK diy 16 September 18th 08 10:19 AM
Drawer Slides, Filing Cabinet Victor Woodworking 6 August 3rd 08 09:31 PM
Filing cabinet lock issue fred UK diy 0 September 14th 07 09:06 AM
Bisley Filing Cabinet John HG Tinker UK diy 7 July 24th 04 05:39 PM
How to clean up an old hardwood filing cabinet? Jake UK diy 12 September 23rd 03 06:27 PM