Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIPHENYLMETHANE DIISOCYANATE - any special precautions?

Hi,

Just wanted to run this by... Got my discount PU glue today (Everbuild 30
minute). It's in tubes for silicone gun dispensing and is a gel.

I'm not familiar with this chemical:

DIPHENYLMETHANE DIISOCYANATE (ISOMERS AND HOMOLOGUES) 10-30%

(sorry for caps, cut'n'paste)

Trouble is all COSHH sheets read more of less as "you will die unless you
wear an NBC suit".

If I wear rubber gloves and work upstairs with the windows open, do I have
anything to worry about with this stuff? I don't have any organic filter
face masks... How volatile is the above?

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 16:24:30 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

DIPHENYLMETHANE DIISOCYANATE (ISOMERS AND HOMOLOGUES) 10-30%

Is this an expanding foam adhesive? I've used it a few times, when I was
rebuilding the conservatory in the joints, and also when making a plinth
for the shower. Never took any special precautions other than common sense.
Use well ventilated and don't have any naked flames close. Oh, and it does
stick like the proverbial to a blanket if you dab any where you don't want
it!

--
The Wanderer

Usenet is like a troupe of performing elephants with diarrhoea:
massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining perhaps,
but a source of mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect
it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Wanderer
wibbled on Monday 01 February 2010 17:37

On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 16:24:30 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

DIPHENYLMETHANE DIISOCYANATE (ISOMERS AND HOMOLOGUES) 10-30%

Is this an expanding foam adhesive? I've used it a few times, when I was
rebuilding the conservatory in the joints, and also when making a plinth
for the shower. Never took any special precautions other than common
sense. Use well ventilated and don't have any naked flames close. Oh, and
it does stick like the proverbial to a blanket if you dab any where you
don't want it!

No, it's not foam-in-a-can.

It's a gel glue for bonding wood. It claims to foam *slightly* but not like
the can stuff.

I'm going to test a little bit in the minute on some scrap as I have never
used it before. It's when I start squeezing out 8m long beads with my nose
next to it for 20 minutes is the only concern.

Stupid COSHH ********. If they didn't overrate *everything* as risky (cf
diHydrogen Monoxide), it would be easier to judge if something was
*actually* nasty or not...

I don't think it's likely to be that bad (but I foolishly read the sheet, so
I'm now cautious), but as it says it has little odour it's not going to be
obvious if I'm buried in fumes...

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

Wearing my, slightly dusty, toxicologist's hat I read the MSDS data sheet
and it doesn't seem too scary to me. The safety instructions only say to
use breathing protection if there is inadequate ventilation so as long as
you have a window open you should be fine. Don't blame me though if you end
up with FLKs (*).

Cheers

Mark

(*)Funny looking kids

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Spice
wibbled on Monday 01 February 2010 18:15

Wearing my, slightly dusty, toxicologist's hat I read the MSDS data sheet
and it doesn't seem too scary to me. The safety instructions only say to
use breathing protection if there is inadequate ventilation so as long as
you have a window open you should be fine. Don't blame me though if you
end up with FLKs (*).

That's very kind of you good sir.

Thanks - I feel assured now. Good cross-flow ventilation as I can open
windows both ends of the room

(*)Funny looking kids

Too late - the deed is already done(!)

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Nail, hit, head.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 19:40:18 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

I agree with the sentiments, but sadly there are people around who just
can't get the idea of common sense into their heads, hence we are *all*
adjudged as idiots.

--
The Wanderer

Have I understood what the other guy is saying?
Have I meant what I said? Have I said what I mean?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 17:46:16 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

The Wanderer
wibbled on Monday 01 February 2010 17:37

On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 16:24:30 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

DIPHENYLMETHANE DIISOCYANATE (ISOMERS AND HOMOLOGUES) 10-30%

Is this an expanding foam adhesive? I've used it a few times, when I was
rebuilding the conservatory in the joints, and also when making a plinth
for the shower. Never took any special precautions other than common
sense. Use well ventilated and don't have any naked flames close. Oh, and
it does stick like the proverbial to a blanket if you dab any where you
don't want it!

No, it's not foam-in-a-can.

Bad choice of words on my part. The stuff I used comes in a tube, similar
to silicone, for application with a gun. Squeezes out like a gel but starts
foaming very quickly.

--
The Wanderer

I may be stupid, but I don't have to prove it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Wanderer
wibbled on Monday 01 February 2010 21:20

On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 17:46:16 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

The Wanderer
wibbled on Monday 01 February 2010 17:37

On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 16:24:30 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

DIPHENYLMETHANE DIISOCYANATE (ISOMERS AND HOMOLOGUES) 10-30%

Is this an expanding foam adhesive? I've used it a few times, when I was
rebuilding the conservatory in the joints, and also when making a plinth
for the shower. Never took any special precautions other than common
sense. Use well ventilated and don't have any naked flames close. Oh,
and it does stick like the proverbial to a blanket if you dab any where
you don't want it!

No, it's not foam-in-a-can.

Bad choice of words on my part. The stuff I used comes in a tube, similar
to silicone, for application with a gun. Squeezes out like a gel but
starts foaming very quickly.

OK - then we have the same stuff...

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Feb, 21:25, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Hmm - just goes to show how many of us don't read the
instructions !!!! I take it then that it doesn't contain that highly
dangerous chemical Dihydrogen Monoxide, or come to that Hydrogen
Hydroxide (which I believe is more nearly correct).

Yes PU glue sticks well and is a great adhesive from a gun. I would
recommend you wear throw away gloves when using it - if you get it on
your hands, then all the dirt gets there too and it will just not come
off.

Its stickability extends beyond wood; I haven't tried stone but my
lathe controller was stuck together totally successfully with it - Al
to Al and Al to wood. Made all the better and quicker by slightly
damping the surfaces.

Rob