Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Canon G3 - +1 for repairability

We all moan about modern crap not being (easily) repairable.

So I think Canon are deserving of some positive press...

My ancient G3 camera with the swivelling LCD panel went wrong the other
week. In short, the LCD only lit up in certain positions and was blank in
the one position I like to use it.

Anyway, today - new set of precision screwdrivers arrived from Maplin,
including the all important PH-000. Turned out to be the tiniest microswitch
I've ever seen inside the back body of the camera was physically sticky
(turning the LCD panel left-right operates this switch). Few pokes with a
screwdriver and a couple of drops of isopropyl alcohol dribbled in for good
measure and she seems to be working fine.

The camera was surprisingly easy to open and looked pretty well made inside.
Canon had even been thoughtful enough to make all the plastic buttons on the
back case section captive so I didn't have a fight putting it back together.

OTOH glad I didn't have to delve deeper into the guts - that looked rather
less easy...

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 00:38:42 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

We all moan about modern crap not being (easily) repairable.

So I think Canon are deserving of some positive press...

My ancient G3 camera with the swivelling LCD panel went wrong the other
week. In short, the LCD only lit up in certain positions and was blank in
the one position I like to use it.

I had one written off a few years ago, after I'd knocked it and the
lens retraction mechanism stopped working.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Johnson
wibbled on Sunday 31 January 2010 20:53

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 00:38:42 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

We all moan about modern crap not being (easily) repairable.

So I think Canon are deserving of some positive press...

My ancient G3 camera with the swivelling LCD panel went wrong the other
week. In short, the LCD only lit up in certain positions and was blank in
the one position I like to use it.

I had one written off a few years ago, after I'd knocked it and the
lens retraction mechanism stopped working.

Next time (if), have a look at he http://www.lensmateonline.com/

The first thing I got was one of those ali lens tubes and together with an
(expendable) UV filter on the end has offered a lot of protection to mine.

Only downside is it obscures the internal flash slightly (though models of
camera and lens tube vary). But it's quick enough to pop off.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My ancient G3 camera with the swivelling LCD panel went wrong the other
week. In short, the LCD only lit up in certain positions and was blank in
the one position I like to use it.

I had one written off a few years ago, after I'd knocked it and the
lens retraction mechanism stopped working.

Next time (if), have a look at he http://www.lensmateonline.com/

The first thing I got was one of those ali lens tubes and together with an
(expendable) UV filter on the end has offered a lot of protection to mine.

Good tip.

I use one on an S2IS which mainly gets used outdoors, but keep my G10 "bare"
so that it stays pocketable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Jan, 20:53, Peter Johnson
wrote:
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 00:38:42 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:
We all moan about modern crap not being (easily) repairable.

So I think Canon are deserving of some positive press...

My ancient G3 camera with the swivelling LCD panel went wrong the other
week. In short, the LCD only lit up in certain positions and was blank in
the one position I like to use it.

I had one written off a few years ago, after I'd knocked it and the
lens retraction mechanism stopped working.

The screen on my Panasonic FX01 somehow got broken. I found
replacement ones on Ebay which also sourced instructions, and did the
replacement in well under an hour.

I wouldn't really want go any further in the dismantlement, but my
experience would indicate that screens are straightforward, if a
little fiddly, to replace.

Rob

canon Improveyourlife Home Repair 0 February 4th 08 04:37 PM
Canon IP4000 GregS Electronics Repair 2 December 15th 06 04:53 AM
Canon copier FC 224 [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 December 10th 05 06:16 PM
Canon inkjet Michele Smith Electronics Repair 1 September 5th 04 05:54 AM
Canon BJC-6000 Eugen T Electronics Repair 9 July 18th 04 07:13 PM