Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Leylandii for burning?

Muddymike wrote:
"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
Steve Firth wrote:

Yew is a conifer.

And burns like asbestos...

--
Rusty

I have a 10ft long 15 to 20 inch diameter yew trunk I scavenged
from the woods next door when they were cleared last year.
Still debating whether to cut it up for logs or offer it to a
wood turner. Yew does make for a very good fire.

if you get it planked, its worth a fair bit. If split already, burn it.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

Yew is so slow growing

Tell that to the yew tree that has grown in my garden over the last five
years.

here i get 6-9" a year. about the same as oak.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 29 Jan, 20:14, "Muddymike" wrote:

Anyone want to buy a yew trunk ?

Yes, where are you, and have you got photos?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On 29/01/2010 20:14, Muddymike wrote:
"Christina wrote in
message ...

wrote in message
om...

"Rusty wrote in
message ...
Steve Firth wrote:

Yew is a conifer.

And burns like asbestos...

--
Rusty

I have a 10ft long 15 to 20 inch diameter yew trunk I
scavenged from the woods next door when they were cleared last
year.
Still debating whether to cut it up for logs or offer it to a
wood turner. Yew does make for a very good fire.

Mike

Yew is so slow growing it's worth quite a lot. In your
position I would sell it. You can use the money to buy far
more wood for burning than you would get from the yew.

Anyone want to buy a yew trunk ?

I looked on Ebay and woodturning blanks just 2 inched thick of
the diameter I have are selling for several pounds!!! But what
makes for a "woodturning blank" ?

Mike

So maybe the leylandii's not for burning, but the yew is for turning?
Didn't MH Thatcher have a shorter version?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Steve Firth wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

Yew is so slow growing

Tell that to the yew tree that has grown in my garden over the last
five
years.

here i get 6-9" a year. about the same as oak.

Otherwise known as getting wood ...

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
here i get 6-9" a year. about the same as oak.

Blimey, only once a year? I keep getting e-mail asking if I'd like some
pills to fix that, want me to redirect them to you?
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

drugs began to take hold. I remember Rod saying
something like:

So maybe the leylandii's not for burning, but the yew is for turning?

Yew! Coat, now.

Didn't MH Thatcher have a shorter version?

She's been out of her tree for years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Muddymike wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...
"Muddymike" wrote in message
om...
"Rusty Hinge" wrote in
message ...
Steve Firth wrote:

Yew is a conifer.
And burns like asbestos...

--
Rusty
I have a 10ft long 15 to 20 inch diameter yew trunk I
scavenged from the woods next door when they were cleared last
year.
Still debating whether to cut it up for logs or offer it to a
wood turner. Yew does make for a very good fire.

Mike

Yew is so slow growing it's worth quite a lot. In your
position I would sell it. You can use the money to buy far
more wood for burning than you would get from the yew.

Anyone want to buy a yew trunk ?

I looked on Ebay and woodturning blanks just 2 inched thick of
the diameter I have are selling for several pounds!!! But what
makes for a "woodturning blank" ?

For several of ponds, not a very big bit. Enough to make a small bowl or
big cup, perhaps.

Nah, you know you want me to have it for making a gunstock, and
turning/carving the rest, don't you?

--
Rusty
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Rod wrote:
On 29/01/2010 20:14, Muddymike wrote:
"Christina wrote in
message ...

wrote in message
om...

"Rusty wrote in
message ...
Steve Firth wrote:

Yew is a conifer.

And burns like asbestos...

--
Rusty

I have a 10ft long 15 to 20 inch diameter yew trunk I
scavenged from the woods next door when they were cleared last
year.
Still debating whether to cut it up for logs or offer it to a
wood turner. Yew does make for a very good fire.

Mike

Yew is so slow growing it's worth quite a lot. In your
position I would sell it. You can use the money to buy far
more wood for burning than you would get from the yew.

Anyone want to buy a yew trunk ?

I looked on Ebay and woodturning blanks just 2 inched thick of
the diameter I have are selling for several pounds!!! But what
makes for a "woodturning blank" ?

Mike

So maybe the leylandii's not for burning, but the yew is for turning?
Didn't MH Thatcher have a shorter version?

Burn the witch?

D&RFC

--
Rusty
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Steve Firth wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

Yew is so slow growing

Tell that to the yew tree that has grown in my garden over the last five
years.

Starts nicely, but rarely gets its second wind.

--
Rusty

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 29 Jan, 20:14, "Muddymike"
wrote:

Anyone want to buy a yew trunk ?

Yes, where are you, and have you got photos?

I am in North Yorkshire, no photos at present but can do
tomorrow.

Mike