Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mica cutting?

I have just ordered a sheet of mica, to attempt to make a window in the
'gas bottle' stove. Now I know this stuff is very brittle, so can it be
cut and if so is there a technique?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gio Gio is offline

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
I have just ordered a sheet of mica, to attempt to make a window in the
'gas bottle' stove. Now I know this stuff is very brittle, so can it be cut
and if so is there a technique?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Site
http://www.architectural-antiques.in...ca-sheets.html
says it can be cut with scissors.

Gio

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 25/01/2010, Gio supposed :
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
I have just ordered a sheet of mica, to attempt to make a window in the 'gas
bottle' stove. Now I know this stuff is very brittle, so can it be cut and
if so is there a technique?

-- Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Site http://www.architectural-antiques.in...ca-sheets.html
says it can be cut with scissors.

Gio

Thanks, Google failed me this time.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gio Gio is offline

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
on 25/01/2010, Gio supposed :
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
I have just ordered a sheet of mica, to attempt to make a window in the
'gas bottle' stove. Now I know this stuff is very brittle, so can it be
cut and if so is there a technique?

-- Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Site
http://www.architectural-antiques.in...ca-sheets.html
says it can be cut with scissors.

Gio

Thanks, Google failed me this time.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Hope it cuts cleanly for you Harry. It is a long time since I used some for
an old paraffin heater wick window

Gio

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Jan, 23:12, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
I have just ordered a sheet of mica, to attempt to make a window in the
'gas bottle' stove. Now I know this stuff is very brittle, so can it be
cut and if so is there a technique?

Big shears (ideally a big guillotine) and do it under water to damp
vibration. A lot depends on the quality of your mica. Where did you
find it BTW, and how big do they have it?

Heatproof glass windows are available easily from the suppliers for
enclosed coal stoves, Expect to pay about 40 quid though, and you'll
need some glass fibre webbing to put it in with too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I have just ordered a sheet of mica, to attempt to make a window in the
'gas bottle' stove. Now I know this stuff is very brittle, so can it be
cut and if so is there a technique?

Big shears (ideally a big guillotine) and do it under water to damp
vibration. A lot depends on the quality of your mica. Where did you
find it BTW, and how big do they have it?

Heatproof glass windows are available easily from the suppliers for
enclosed coal stoves, Expect to pay about 40 quid though, and you'll
need some glass fibre webbing to put it in with too.

Large sheets of Mica are available from suppliers of microwave oven spares
(CPC?)

Shame to cut it up though, they make great Rolf Harris wobble.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Jan, 15:52, "Graham." wrote:

Large sheets of Mica are available from suppliers of microwave oven spares

That's not mica though, it's some ersatz synthetic "mica" and not
transparent for window use. Easy to cut without breaking though, as
it's much softer in bulk.

http://mutr.co.uk have the real stuff, but even their's isn't big
enough for windows.
http://www.mutr.co.uk/product_info.p...67cc51895b8cdd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley brought next idea :
Big shears (ideally a big guillotine) and do it under water to damp
vibration. A lot depends on the quality of your mica. Where did you
find it BTW, and how big do they have it?

Ebay I ordered 4x4, but they list 5x5. The price rises rapidly with
size.

Heatproof glass windows are available easily from the suppliers for
enclosed coal stoves, Expect to pay about 40 quid though, and you'll
need some glass fibre webbing to put it in with too.

I don't think they do it with a gas bottle curve :-)

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield laid this down on his screen :
Andy Dingley brought next idea :
Big shears (ideally a big guillotine) and do it under water to damp
vibration. A lot depends on the quality of your mica. Where did you
find it BTW, and how big do they have it?

Ebay I ordered 4x4, but they list 5x5. The price rises rapidly with size.

Heatproof glass windows are available easily from the suppliers for
enclosed coal stoves, Expect to pay about 40 quid though, and you'll
need some glass fibre webbing to put it in with too.

I don't think they do it with a gas bottle curve :-)

The 4x4 (ordered Tuesday evening) sheet of mica turned up today, not at
all what I was expecting - It was very flexible, very clear and with a
slightly brown tint. It looked and felt like a sheet of thin plastic,
so I tested it on the gas hob. Got it glowing red hot and no problem.

From these people -
http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/dorset...__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Turning MICA john young Woodturning 3 November 6th 08 03:38 PM
Mica versus Silicone pad insulators N Cook Electronics Repair 59 September 15th 07 06:04 AM
Artificial Mica Lampshades for theater Richard Woodworking 13 February 27th 07 07:16 PM
Cleaning mica panels in a toaster Blueyonder UK diy 11 April 1st 06 07:48 PM
mica capacitor substitutes Johan Wagener Electronics Repair 9 May 6th 04 02:16 AM