Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_2_] Graham.[_2_] is offline

Default Mica cutting?

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message ...
On 25 Jan, 23:12, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
I have just ordered a sheet of mica, to attempt to make a window in the
'gas bottle' stove. Now I know this stuff is very brittle, so can it be
cut and if so is there a technique?

Big shears (ideally a big guillotine) and do it under water to damp
vibration. A lot depends on the quality of your mica. Where did you
find it BTW, and how big do they have it?

Heatproof glass windows are available easily from the suppliers for
enclosed coal stoves, Expect to pay about 40 quid though, and you'll
need some glass fibre webbing to put it in with too.

Large sheets of Mica are available from suppliers of microwave oven spares
(CPC?)

Shame to cut it up though, they make great Rolf Harris wobble.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%