Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rockwool, Kingspan, Celotex - which is most mouse-proof?

I want to insulate the loft rafters in a remote stone cottage so the
loft water tanks & piping don't freeze in winter.

There is no way of keeping mice out - they can get into walls (2 ft
stone) below ground level and come up inside them. I know mice just love
eating foam pipe insulation and would prefer some foam they don't like.

Kingspan have phenolic insulation (K7) and urethane insulation (TP10).
Is one more mouse-proof than the other? Is Celotex better? Or should I
just use fibreglass batts?

Thanks
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 19:56:48 +0000, Roger Moss "rwm2 [at]
rwmoss.gotadsl.co.uk" wibbled:

I want to insulate the loft rafters in a remote stone cottage so the
loft water tanks & piping don't freeze in winter.

There is no way of keeping mice out - they can get into walls (2 ft
stone) below ground level and come up inside them. I know mice just love
eating foam pipe insulation and would prefer some foam they don't like.

Kingspan have phenolic insulation (K7) and urethane insulation (TP10).
Is one more mouse-proof than the other? Is Celotex better? Or should I
just use fibreglass batts?

Thanks
Roger

Can you get something to spray on? I'm thinking something that's like
Bitrex to mice, eg tastes foul?

They'll eat glass wool too - though it kills them quicker and out of all
the products it will last the best WRT hairy destructors.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 19, 1:56*pm, Roger Moss "rwm2 [at] rwmoss.gotadsl.co.uk"
wrote:
I want to insulate the loft rafters in a remote stone cottage so the
loft water tanks & piping don't freeze in winter.

There is no way of keeping mice out - they can get into walls (2 ft
stone) below ground level and come up inside them. I know mice just love
eating foam pipe insulation and would prefer some foam they don't like.

Kingspan have phenolic insulation (K7) and urethane insulation (TP10).
Is one more mouse-proof than the other? Is Celotex better? Or should I
just use fibreglass batts?

Thanks
Roger

Mice come in holes so fix the mortar joints, they nest in anything.
Mice dont dig holes to enter your house.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The only insulation that I can think of that mice won't destroy is
vermiculite.

It's a granular mineral, very light in weight.

Mostly it's used to back fill chimneys after installing stainless
steel liners (completely fireproof, and helps the chimney warm
quickly, particularly if the liner is a very loose fit in the
chimney).

For your application, I think you'd be limited to building an oversize
box around the tanks and filling the space between.

Alternatively consider boxing in with either plasterboard or cement
board (more expensive, much tougher). If the boxing in is carefully
done, any insulation should be ok.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Jan, 19:56, Roger Moss "rwm2 [at] rwmoss.gotadsl.co.uk" wrote:

Kingspan have phenolic insulation (K7) and urethane insulation (TP10).
Is one more mouse-proof than the other? Is Celotex better? Or should I
just use fibreglass batts?

Can't help you on the mice - I assume you already have cats.

I'm interested in whether anyone knows the difference between the
Phenolic and PU varieties of Kingspan, in terms of qualities and
usage. I used Phenolic for my roof insualtion, as it was what Seconds
* Co had at the time.

Cheers
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'v fitted catflaps,
the neighbours cats come and go,
I can go on holiday without having to feed the cats,
there is very little sign of mice and rats any more.

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 19:56:48 +0000
Roger Moss "rwm2 [at] rwmoss.gotadsl.co.uk" wrote:

I want to insulate the loft rafters in a remote stone cottage so the
loft water tanks & piping don't freeze in winter.

There is no way of keeping mice out - they can get into walls (2 ft
stone) below ground level and come up inside them. I know mice just love
eating foam pipe insulation and would prefer some foam they don't like.

Kingspan have phenolic insulation (K7) and urethane insulation (TP10).
Is one more mouse-proof than the other? Is Celotex better? Or should I
just use fibreglass batts?

Thanks
Roger

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question - I used Quinn-therm. I
solved my plague of mice with a three pronged approach:

1) Old fashioned mouse traps - to kill those already in residence.

2) Re-pointing wherever I found even the smallest possible gap in the
lower 300mm of the whole periphery.

3) After the rush to die from (1) died down, poison traps (from B&Q) as
a long term preventative against those mice who paraglide in, or climb
the drainpipes.

So far so good. However to remind me to check every now and then, I
have the piece of polyplumb pipe with the mouse-tooth-sized-hole in it
on my desk.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheOldFellow wrote:

So far so good. However to remind me to check every now and then, I
have the piece of polyplumb pipe with the mouse-tooth-sized-hole in it
on my desk.

R.

I've got one of them too (just to remind me). Was inside a dry-lined
wall, behind a basin, behind boxing-in, dripping outside the concrete
floor so no sign of water. Eventually I heard it drip.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 19, 2010 at 11:56:48 AM UTC-8, Roger Moss wrote:
I want to insulate the loft rafters in a remote stone cottage so the
loft water tanks & piping don't freeze in winter.

There is no way of keeping mice out - they can get into walls (2 ft
stone) below ground level and come up inside them. I know mice just love
eating foam pipe insulation and would prefer some foam they don't like.

Kingspan have phenolic insulation (K7) and urethane insulation (TP10).
Is one more mouse-proof than the other? Is Celotex better? Or should I
just use fibreglass batts?

Thanks
Roger

Rodent proofing.. Spray Rataway Fragrance from Rataway.com and save the home and the insulation

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 19 January 2010 19:56:48 UTC, Roger Moss wrote:
I want to insulate the loft rafters in a remote stone cottage so the
loft water tanks & piping don't freeze in winter.

There is no way of keeping mice out - they can get into walls (2 ft
stone) below ground level and come up inside them. I know mice just love
eating foam pipe insulation and would prefer some foam they don't like.

Kingspan have phenolic insulation (K7) and urethane insulation (TP10).
Is one more mouse-proof than the other? Is Celotex better? Or should I
just use fibreglass batts?

Thanks
Roger

None of them. But mineral wool definitely encourages them.