Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default kingspan/celotex under concrete slab

Just thought I'd better check before I hit secondsandco.
The kingspan/celotex foam board to be used under the floor slab, as my
solid floor is spec'd, so bearing the weight of 6" of concrete. Can
the standard board be used for this - i.e. yellow fibrous, foil on
both sides ?
Or do you need a special stronger board for use under the slab ?
(i.e. kingspan make some kind of "kooltherm K3 floorboard")

Thanks,
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
Just thought I'd better check before I hit secondsandco.
The kingspan/celotex foam board to be used under the floor slab, as my
solid floor is spec'd, so bearing the weight of 6" of concrete. Can
the standard board be used for this - i.e. yellow fibrous, foil on
both sides ?
Or do you need a special stronger board for use under the slab ?
(i.e. kingspan make some kind of "kooltherm K3 floorboard")

Thanks,
Simon.

You can achieve the same results with 125mm of polystyrene, although it does
require more depth (obviously) and ergo, more digging, but this is often not
required if the area is already well excavated, it just means less MOT
infill.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Jul, 16:22, "Phil L" wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
Just thought I'd better check before I hit secondsandco.
The kingspan/celotex foam board to be used under the floor slab, as my
solid floor is spec'd, so bearing the weight of 6" of concrete. Can
the standard board be used for this - i.e. yellow fibrous, foil on
both sides ?
Or do you need a special stronger board for use under the slab ?
(i.e. kingspan make some kind of "kooltherm K3 floorboard")

Thanks,
Simon.

You can achieve the same results with 125mm of polystyrene, although it does
require more depth (obviously) and ergo, more digging, but this is often not
required if the area is already well excavated, it just means less MOT
infill.

I know that. Not enough depth, related to drains and existing house
founds, this is for an extension. 75mm depth available for insulation,
must be a PUR/PIR board therefore.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 08:10:03 -0700 (PDT), a particular chimpanzee,
sm_jamieson randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

Just thought I'd better check before I hit secondsandco.
The kingspan/celotex foam board to be used under the floor slab, as my
solid floor is spec'd, so bearing the weight of 6" of concrete. Can
the standard board be used for this - i.e. yellow fibrous, foil on
both sides ?

Yes. Unless you're planning on putting a safe or industrial lathe on
top.

If you think about it, 1m² x 150mm thick of concrete might weigh a lot
(~360kg), but it's spread over an area of 1m²!
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Jul, 20:19, Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 08:10:03 -0700 (PDT), a particular chimpanzee,
sm_jamieson randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

Just thought I'd better check before I hit secondsandco.
The kingspan/celotex foam board to be used under the floor slab, as my
solid floor is spec'd, so bearing the weight of 6" of concrete. Can
the standard board be used for this - i.e. yellow fibrous, foil on
both sides ?

Yes. Unless you're planning on putting a safe or industrial lathe on
top.

If you think about it, 1m² x 150mm thick of concrete might weigh a lot
(~360kg), but it's spread over an area of 1m²!
--

I know, I know. I just need peace of mind ;-)
Thanks,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugo Nebula wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 08:10:03 -0700 (PDT), a particular chimpanzee,
sm_jamieson randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

Just thought I'd better check before I hit secondsandco.
The kingspan/celotex foam board to be used under the floor slab, as my
solid floor is spec'd, so bearing the weight of 6" of concrete. Can
the standard board be used for this - i.e. yellow fibrous, foil on
both sides ?

Yes. Unless you're planning on putting a safe or industrial lathe on
top.

Wouldn't even that be OK though - ie spreading the extra load over the
6" slab?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
Hugo Nebula wrote:
[...]

Yes, but you need rebar or mesh (or both)

AWEM