Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Advice needed on conversion from gas to electric water heater

On Jan 8, 7:27*pm, terry wrote:
On Jan 8, 7:05*pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"Eusebius" wrote in message

I don't have space for a tank, so that's not an option. Right now, the
Main Medway does fill the bath OK - water is hot enough. I could leave
it at that, I guess, but I'd like to know what sort of electric heater
has the capacity of the Main Medway so i could consider a direct
alternative. Space is an issue here.

An electric shower heater is about as powerful as they get for domestic use.
So you will only be able to fill the bath as fast as the shower does.. in
fact you may as well use the shower to fill it.

FWIW we (wife and self) once lived comfortably for several years in an
8' by 30' trailer (caravan) that had a 20 US gallon (or smaller)
electric hot water tank, for bath/shower and dish sink.
We had a propane cooker and an oil heating stove. No washer. Although
as mentioned one can cold-wash or warm hand wash certain items!
Point of this is that with slight plumbing changes? it may be possible
to live with entirely electrically heated hot water. Also if the hot
water thermostat is turned higher (watch out for scalding) the hotter
water can be mixed with cold for use.
Later we did upgrade the electric supply to the trailer but we never
had to change the electric hot water heating tank.
Although gather that in UK gas costs more than electrcity, costs for
the amount of heat involved for hot water use may not be significant?
Terry.

OH. BTW our trailer tank heater was only 1200 or 1500 watts.