Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which silicone sealant???

Ok probably a dumb question, but how do you choose the "right" sealant
for the job?

If I understand correctly,

Low modulus requires little effort to move, ie very flexible.
High modulus being the opposite is quite stiff.

Acetoxy cure is quick to cure but does not stick as well to some surfaces.
Neutral cure is slower to cure but sticks like **it to a blanket.

Now having said that what do I need to install a bathroom sink waste,
any recommendations? and what would I need to seal around the base of a
tiled wall/shower tray and around shower components where they exit the
wall?

My instinct says to get something Low Modulus and neutral curing,
presumably with anti fungal gunk, but to be honest I have NO idea.

thanks

Vernon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vernon" wrote in message
news
Ok probably a dumb question, but how do you choose the "right" sealant for
the job?

If I understand correctly,

Low modulus requires little effort to move, ie very flexible.
High modulus being the opposite is quite stiff.

Acetoxy cure is quick to cure but does not stick as well to some surfaces.
Neutral cure is slower to cure but sticks like **it to a blanket.

Now having said that what do I need to install a bathroom sink waste, any
recommendations? and what would I need to seal around the base of a tiled
wall/shower tray and around shower components where they exit the wall?

My instinct says to get something Low Modulus and neutral curing,
presumably with anti fungal gunk, but to be honest I have NO idea.

thanks

Vernon

Use Dow Corning 785. I used it for our en-suite and it's really good stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 16:58:56 +0000, Vernon
wrote:

Ok probably a dumb question, but how do you choose the "right" sealant
for the job?

If I understand correctly,

Low modulus requires little effort to move, ie very flexible.
High modulus being the opposite is quite stiff.

Acetoxy cure is quick to cure but does not stick as well to some surfaces.
Neutral cure is slower to cure but sticks like **it to a blanket.

Now having said that what do I need to install a bathroom sink waste,
any recommendations? and what would I need to seal around the base of a
tiled wall/shower tray and around shower components where they exit the
wall?

My instinct says to get something Low Modulus and neutral curing,
presumably with anti fungal gunk, but to be honest I have NO idea.

thanks

Vernon

Why do you think you need silicone for a sink waste ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"slider" wrote

Now having said that what do I need to install a bathroom sink waste, any
recommendations? and what would I need to seal around the base of a tiled
wall/shower tray and around shower components where they exit the wall?

My instinct says to get something Low Modulus and neutral curing,
presumably with anti fungal gunk, but to be honest I have NO idea.

thanks

Vernon

Use Dow Corning 785. I used it for our en-suite and it's really good
stuff.

Seconded
Yes it's probably 3 times the shed cheapo stuff, but quality costs.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheScullster" wrote in message
. uk...

"slider" wrote

Now having said that what do I need to install a bathroom sink waste,
any recommendations? and what would I need to seal around the base of a
tiled wall/shower tray and around shower components where they exit the
wall?

My instinct says to get something Low Modulus and neutral curing,
presumably with anti fungal gunk, but to be honest I have NO idea.

thanks

Vernon

Use Dow Corning 785. I used it for our en-suite and it's really good
stuff.

Seconded
Yes it's probably 3 times the shed cheapo stuff, but quality costs.

Phil

It's not that expensive when you compare it to the usual branded versions
either (Unibond etc). £4.89 from Screwfix

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/58308/...ning-785-white

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Agree. They will leak. Get a "basin mate". It will be the best £1 you
ever spend. I have fitted two of these on two sinks and neither have leaked
at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Well I had a quick look in B&Q (closer than screwfix, almost always ££
more, but handy for looking at items) and the basin waste had
instructions that said to apply sealant, cant remember where exactly,
IIRC it was to the plastic washer, and possibly under the plug
housing/basin.

Are you suggesting that I don't need any?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Just had a look at basin mate in Toolstation catalogue, looks a lot more
sturdy than the plastic washer. Presumably with that, you do not need to
apply sealant anywhere? What about between the basin & plug housing?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

slider wrote:
[...]

Thank you

If it does the job then it is worth paying for! Nothing worse than
having to do the job twice. Out of interest it says that it is fast
curing, so presumably it is acetoxy and low modulus? (Still trying to
get my head around the different properties)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Well I wasn't sure where exactly you were going to use it ..I'm trying
to remember what ,if anything ,I used when I fitted my w/h basin .I
might have used Plumber's Mait but then again it might have been LSX
which is clear silicone afaik .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vernon" wrote in message
news
Ok probably a dumb question, but how do you choose the "right" sealant for
the job?

If I understand correctly,

Low modulus requires little effort to move, ie very flexible.
High modulus being the opposite is quite stiff.

Acetoxy cure is quick to cure but does not stick as well to some surfaces.
Neutral cure is slower to cure but sticks like **it to a blanket.

Now having said that what do I need to install a bathroom sink waste, any
recommendations? and what would I need to seal around the base of a tiled
wall/shower tray and around shower components where they exit the wall?

My instinct says to get something Low Modulus and neutral curing,
presumably with anti fungal gunk, but to be honest I have NO idea.

I wrote a FAQ on sealants some time ago ... it used to be on uk-d-i-y web
site, let me know if you want a copy.

I used DOW 785 for this task.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Best way to bed in wastes is with a bead of sealant ... between washer &
underside of basin .... I also put a bead between waste and top surface of
basin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Usenet Nutter" wrote in message

Well I had a quick look in B&Q (closer than screwfix, almost always ££
more, but handy for looking at items) and the basin waste had
instructions that said to apply sealant, cant remember where exactly,
IIRC it was to the plastic washer, and possibly under the plug
housing/basin.

Are you suggesting that I don't need any?

Well I wasn't sure where exactly you were going to use it ..I'm trying
to remember what ,if anything ,I used when I fitted my w/h basin .I
might have used Plumber's Mait but then again it might have been LSX
which is clear silicone afaik .

LSX is good ... esp[ on male to female thread joints, but too expensive for
fittings wastes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick wrote:

"Vernon" wrote in message
news
[...]

Rick, thank you is this the one?

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/decorating.html#silicone

I have bought a chrome waste, "plummers mate" and a tube of 785 today,
so I intend to bed the waste on silicone in the sink, and use the
plummers mate underneath.

I shall report back, success or failure!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 14:22:55 -0000, "Rick"
wrote:

I used DOW 785 for this task.

I see Dow Corning 785 is available in white, clear, beige and grey.

Silicone sealant diy-newby UK diy 28 November 2nd 07 04:33 PM
Silicone sealant vs silicone adhesive? Walter Cohen Home Repair 8 October 31st 07 11:32 AM
Silicone sealant vs silicone adhesive? Walter Cohen Home Ownership 8 October 31st 07 11:32 AM
Silicone sealant Graeme UK diy 4 June 11th 04 01:56 PM
Silicone sealant Graeme UK diy 26 May 22nd 04 01:15 AM