Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

Default Laser

Hi
No, not a question on laser levels or pointers, but I have acquired a
1000mW 810nm laser and control box. I was told it was functional but
have not switched it on (it is marked class 4).
Is there anything entertaining that I can use this for (apart from
blinding myself)?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Jan, 09:48, wrote:
I have acquired a 1000mW 810nm laser and control box.

Is there anything entertaining that I can use this for (apart from
blinding myself)?

Not really. That's a dangerous wavelength - I presume this is a soft-
tissue surgical laser? You can't see it, it will cause injury, it's
particularly bad for eye injuries as your iris won't even notice it to
close down.

Try flogging it? See if abex.co.uk will give you some gelt for it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_safety
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 01:56:53 -0800 (PST), Andy Dingley wrote:
On 5 Jan, 09:48, wrote:
I have acquired a 1000mW 810nm laser and control box.

Is there anything entertaining that I can use this for (apart from
blinding myself)?

Not really. That's a dangerous wavelength - I presume this is a soft-
tissue surgical laser? You can't see it, it will cause injury, it's
particularly bad for eye injuries as your iris won't even notice it to
close down.

You don't even have to look into the beam. Reflections (which you also
won't see) can be damaging, too. If someone gave me one of those, I would
strip it for parts, but I'd never try turning it on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 5 Jan, 09:48, wrote:
I have acquired a 1000mW 810nm laser and control box.

Is there anything entertaining that I can use this for (apart from
blinding myself)?

Not really. That's a dangerous wavelength - I presume this is a soft-
tissue surgical laser? You can't see it, it will cause injury, it's
particularly bad for eye injuries as your iris won't even notice it
to close down.

You don't even have to look into the beam. Reflections (which you also
won't see) can be damaging, too. If someone gave me one of those, I
would strip it for parts, but I'd never try turning it on.

I saw a 5W laser on eBay for £2k (which looks much more impressive), so if I
can prove that my unit works, it might be worth trying to sell it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_safety

And I wish I could remember the original source for this, but:

http://unicorn.drogon.net/stuff/laser.pdf

which may not help you here as you won't see it but..

Gordon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It has now turned serious. No, not the safety issue, but I've been told that
a similar new unit (the unit I have was new last year - so I'm told) is in
the region of £10-15k.

If it is 810 nm then the beam will not be visible. It will be short
wavelength infra-red. Even more hazardous then. You won't see the danger!

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Jan, 10:24, pete wrote:

You don't even have to look into the beam. Reflections (which you also
won't see) can be damaging, too.

At this low power, your only reflection hazard is specular reflection
(flat shiny stuff), not a diffuse reflection, so one of the basic
safety precautions is to strip out the workshop of anything specular
(or cover it) before you start.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Scott wrote:

It has now turned serious. No, not the safety issue, but I've been
told that a similar new unit (the unit I have was new last year - so
I'm told) is in the region of £10-15k.

If it is 810 nm then the beam will not be visible. It will be short
wavelength infra-red. Even more hazardous then. You won't see the danger!

Peter Scott

I am confused why has such a unit been given to you, I would have
expected it to be sold on the open market?

Its a bit like getting hold of one of the large power transformers the
power company uses.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.lasers

On 5 Jan, 09:48, wrote:
Hi
No, not a question on laser levels or pointers, but I have acquired a
1000mW 810nm laser and control box. I was told it was functional but
have not switched it on (it is marked class 4).
Is there anything entertaining that I can use this for (apart from
blinding myself)?

added alt.lasers from uk.d-i-y might be able to give you a better idea

810nm as others have commented is Infra Red , not visible to the eye.

1W is enough to cause you problems if you stare into it or its
directly reflected into your eye, so dont go looking down the
barrel ;-)

As a certified laser for medical use etc. with its calibration certs
etc it might be worth a lot , as an ex certified laser probably closer
to worth its weight in scrap unfortunately.Though the PSU might be
worth something.

810nm is not a lot of use as a pump , need 808, to obtain visible
green and there is quite a lot of low cost diodes in the 1W+ class at
these sort of wavelenghts

www.photonlexicon.com may be worth asking as well.

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Jan, 15:45, Lobster wrote:

Ew. The bit about not knowing that your eyeballs are boiling until you
hear the sound it makes, should dissuade most people...

It's not _that_ powerful, nor is it far enough IR. This one will
create permanent retinal damage pretty much immediately. Although
that's bad, it is often noticeable enough to make people move before
they lose the whole eye.

It's only recently that I've encountered a class4 where I wasn't far
more afraid of its PSU than I was the laser. PSUs can still get you
from feet away, hours after you shut the power off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.lasers

On Jan 5, 10:56*am, Adam Aglionby wrote:
810nm is not a lot of use as a pump , need 808, to obtain visible
green *and there is quite a lot of low cost diodes in the 1W+ class at
these sort of wavelenghts

www.photonlexicon.commay be worth asking as well.

Cheers
Adam

Surely the difference betrween 808 and 810nm is about 7 degrees C
operating temperature.

www.richardfisher.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.lasers

Adam Aglionby wrote:
On 5 Jan, 09:48, wrote:
Hi
No, not a question on laser levels or pointers, but I have acquired a
1000mW 810nm laser and control box. I was told it was functional but
have not switched it on (it is marked class 4).
Is there anything entertaining that I can use this for (apart from
blinding myself)?

added alt.lasers from uk.d-i-y might be able to give you a better idea

810nm as others have commented is Infra Red , not visible to the eye.

Incorrect. It's easily visible, albeit with greatly reduced sensitivity.

Martin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Steve Walker"
saying something like:

On 5 Jan, 09:48, wrote:
I have acquired a 1000mW 810nm laser and control box.

It has now turned serious. No, not the safety issue, but I've been told
that a similar new unit (the unit I have was new last year - so I'm
told) is in the region of £10-15k.

Are you unknowingly handling stolen goods?

Could get his fingers burned.