Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Internal shutters for windows - good idea?

I have double-glazing in my 5-year-old house. In this very cold
weather I wondered whether home-made shutters to fit inside the window
openings (from inside the rooms) might reduce heat loss even more.

My tentative design would consist of 2" x1" framing with hardboard or
plywood nailed to each side, forming a sandwich and the inner cavity
copiously filled with, say, loft insulation material.

Each such panel would have a couple of handles affixed so as to
quickly insert the panels once the sun goes down or remove them the
next morning. The panels would be a snug fit inside the window
openings, maybe with rubber draught excluder glued on to form a good
seal.

The smaller windows are approximately 4' x 4' which would be the main
ones to consider.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 22:16:45 +0000 Mm wrote :
My tentative design would consist of 2" x1" framing with hardboard or
plywood nailed to each side, forming a sandwich and the inner cavity
copiously filled with, say, loft insulation material.

Each such panel would have a couple of handles affixed so as to
quickly insert the panels once the sun goes down or remove them the
next morning. The panels would be a snug fit inside the window
openings, maybe with rubber draught excluder glued on to form a good
seal.

Why not just use polyurethane board, handles bolted through with large
washers?

--
Tony Bryer, Greentram: 'Software to build on' Melbourne, Australia
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , MM
writes
I have double-glazing in my 5-year-old house. In this very cold
weather I wondered whether home-made shutters to fit inside the window
openings (from inside the rooms) might reduce heat loss even more.

My tentative design would consist of 2" x1" framing with hardboard or
plywood nailed to each side, forming a sandwich and the inner cavity
copiously filled with, say, loft insulation material.

Each such panel would have a couple of handles affixed so as to
quickly insert the panels once the sun goes down or remove them the
next morning. The panels would be a snug fit inside the window
openings, maybe with rubber draught excluder glued on to form a good
seal.

The smaller windows are approximately 4' x 4' which would be the main
ones to consider.

Go for it - and report back

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM pretended :
have double-glazing in my 5-year-old house. In this very cold
weather I wondered whether home-made shutters to fit inside the window
openings (from inside the rooms) might reduce heat loss even more.

In northern Italy outside roller shutters were fairly common and seemed
effective, but I found them a bit claustrophobic. I don't even like
drawn curtains for the same reason.

No doubt your idea would work to some extent, because the same idea was
popular pre-1950's, but with single glazing back then. Might heavy
thermal curtains not work almost as well, if they completely filled the
'hole'?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thermal curtains...
Thermal curtains do increase the amount of condensation on single
glazed (so do work), but are actually quite a disappointment because
unless touching the floor they merely allow cold air to fall into the
room just the same. Their thermal barrier is an open barn-door at the
bottom.

Roller blinds...
Roller blinds seem to outperform thermal curtains quite a bit due to a
better seal to the frame and usually having a flat bar on the bottom
which maintains some seal at the bottom. Heavy icing at -3oC is easily
obtained.

Insulation-in-a-frame...
Neither of the above have any chance of competing with even 25mm of
rockwool which will grossly outperform them. If bothered about
appearance, stick a "roller blind material" on the other side - it
might need to handle condensation (severe icing in fact if single
glazed).

Polystyrene slab was routinely used in commercial former factory
buildings in London to reduce heat loss overnight through multiple
extremely large steel frame single glazed (critall) windows. It was
very effective although probably not fire retardant (F/R) - same goes
for PIR foam, some insulation is F/R and some is not so check.

Single glazed wooden has a U of about 4.5, Double glazed uPVC is about
2.5, Double glazed uPVC argon filled is around 1.5 although doesn't
stay argon filled for very long so a practical figure is U = 2.5. The
U value of 50mm polystyrene is 0.5 if I recall so you reduce heat loss
to 20% of the original value. That is a substantial saving hence "new
build" have cell-like windows, no-bay-windows, and so on. Heat the
rooms you use, set to frost-protection the rooms you do not. Wear a
fleece and drop the temperature back a little BUT do not drop it too
far because otherwise you battle to get it back up again. Duvets
outperform blankets considerably.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 01/01/2010, js.b1 supposed :
Polystyrene slab was routinely used in commercial former factory
buildings in London to reduce heat loss overnight through multiple
extremely large steel frame single glazed (critall) windows. It was
very effective although probably not fire retardant (F/R) - same goes
for PIR foam, some insulation is F/R and some is not so check.

I recently checked with a company which sells it, mostly for packing
material. They used to sell plain or F/R at extra cost, but now they
only sell F/R - which might suggest they are ONLY allowed to sell F/R
no matter what purpose.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:

I have double-glazing in my 5-year-old house. In this very cold
weather

What "very cold weather"?

I wondered whether home-made shutters to fit inside the window
openings (from inside the rooms) might reduce heat loss even more.

Umm a bit. We have internal shutters on the ground floor. They don't
noticeably decrease heat loss. We also have internal shutters on windows
in Italy. There, TBH, although looking pretty they are just an
irritating PITA.

The English shutters are fixed to the window reveals the Italian ones
are fixed to the windows and are thin, hinged wooden panels.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 23:55:21 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

MM pretended :
have double-glazing in my 5-year-old house. In this very cold
weather I wondered whether home-made shutters to fit inside the window
openings (from inside the rooms) might reduce heat loss even more.

In northern Italy outside roller shutters were fairly common and seemed
effective, but I found them a bit claustrophobic. I don't even like
drawn curtains for the same reason.

No doubt your idea would work to some extent, because the same idea was
popular pre-1950's, but with single glazing back then. Might heavy
thermal curtains not work almost as well, if they completely filled the
'hole'?

I don't like curtains either, let alone heavy ones, so they're out of
the question. I must say, I am pleased by the generally positive
the weather, the fact is we all have to heat our surroundings and we
are constantly urged to do so more efficiently.

I shall have to wait until I can put the car back out in the drive
before the garage is free again to use as a workshop, so it may not
happen this year (2010) until next winter. But I shall cost it up and
compare materials. Not sure about polystyrene slab, as this stuff
always seems quite flimsy when used as a packing material around
televisions, DVD players and the like. A decent wooden frame as
proposed should last for years (longer than me!) being constantly
removed and replaced for three months of the year.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .
MM wrote:

I have double-glazing in my 5-year-old house. In this very cold
weather

What "very cold weather"?

I wondered whether home-made shutters to fit inside the window
openings (from inside the rooms) might reduce heat loss even more.

Umm a bit. We have internal shutters on the ground floor. They don't
noticeably decrease heat loss. We also have internal shutters on windows
in Italy. There, TBH, although looking pretty they are just an
irritating PITA.

The English shutters are fixed to the window reveals the Italian ones
are fixed to the windows and are thin, hinged wooden panels.

Hi Group
In Finland the house where we stay has treble glazing with about one inch
gap between the glass so there is merit in the idea of supplementary panels
on the inside in the UK. It would be the old story of cost against
convenience. Help I sound like a bean counter!

Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 07:19:35 +0000 Mm wrote :
Not sure about polystyrene slab, as this stuff always
seems quite flimsy when used as a packing material around
televisions, DVD players and the like.

I was suggesting polyurethane board, which is a lot denser - and
is a much better than polystyrene, thickness for thickness

--
Tony Bryer, Greentram: 'Software to build on' Melbourne, Australia
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 21:07:46 +1100, Tony Bryer
wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 07:19:35 +0000 Mm wrote :
Not sure about polystyrene slab, as this stuff always
seems quite flimsy when used as a packing material around
televisions, DVD players and the like.

I was suggesting polyurethane board, which is a lot denser - and
is a much better than polystyrene, thickness for thickness

Do the sheds stock polyurethane board? Can't say I've ever seen it and
I often peruse the stock even though I might not be buying anything
that day. Where would you get it? Don't forget that hardboard is dirt
cheap, as is the loft insulation.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , MM
writes
I have double-glazing in my 5-year-old house. In this very cold
weather I wondered whether home-made shutters to fit inside the window
openings (from inside the rooms) might reduce heat loss even more.

My experience is with Victorian single glazed sash windows, where
internal shutters do make a big difference. Whether the same difference
would be felt with modern double glazed windows is debatable.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 07:19:35 +0000, MM wrote:

I don't like curtains either, let alone heavy ones, so they're out of
the question. I must say, I am pleased by the generally positive
the weather, the fact is we all have to heat our surroundings and we
are constantly urged to do so more efficiently.

Don't worry. Steve Firth lives in a parallel universe whose only
connection to our own reality is via Usenet newsgroups. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 10:50:33 +0000, Graeme
wrote:

In message , MM
writes
I have double-glazing in my 5-year-old house. In this very cold
weather I wondered whether home-made shutters to fit inside the window
openings (from inside the rooms) might reduce heat loss even more.

My experience is with Victorian single glazed sash windows, where
internal shutters do make a big difference. Whether the same difference
would be felt with modern double glazed windows is debatable.

Put it this way, imagine an equivalent house, but with all the windows
bricked up. Would it lose less heat than with the windows? I reckon it
would.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 10:50:33 +0000, Graeme
wrote:

In message , MM
writes
I have double-glazing in my 5-year-old house. In this very cold
weather I wondered whether home-made shutters to fit inside the window
openings (from inside the rooms) might reduce heat loss even more.

My experience is with Victorian single glazed sash windows, where
internal shutters do make a big difference. Whether the same difference
would be felt with modern double glazed windows is debatable.

Put it this way, imagine an equivalent house, but with all the windows
bricked up. Would it lose less heat than with the windows? I reckon it
would.

Actually, that entirely depends on the brickwork.

A single brick wall is a bit better than single glazing, but worse than
double glazing.

Now if its cavity insulated brickwork, its a different story..

Even triple glazing isn't a patch on well insulated walls..

so those triple lined curtains, really DO make a helluva difference.

As to shutters, Id say a real difference as well.

The key being whether or not there is enough air movement at their edges
to stop convection currents past the windows. If well sealed on rubber
strip, probably getting on for 'full insulated wall' if slatted, almost
completely useless.

the mechanism of heat transfer makes it clear. With an open cavity that
is sealed..like a double glazed panel that is gas filled, or a window
recess with a shutter, the transfer mechanism is convection off the warm
inner panel, up to the top of the cavity, and down the cold outer panel.
There is also some direct radiation through the glass of the window. But
I suspect that's very low.

That's why filling cavities with fluffy stuff works: it slows air
movement down to nothing, stalling convection currents, and making
direct transfer through te air the only way to transfer heat. Air is a
good insulator.

It also gibes a key to what makes a good shutter., At the least it must
trap the air behind it. It is also beneficial if - since it cant totally
fill the gap to the window and stop circulation, - it is itself
insulated. Or possible has some way to restrict airflow built in.

At the very least, you will improve window U values by the thermal
resistance of the shutter. In practice it may be a lot more. Convection
calculations are not my strong subject.

In pure heatloss terms, windows are a trade off between significant
solar gains by direct radiation from a high temperature sun, or
effective high temperature sky, and loss from a low temperature room, by
conduction and convection.

In any case, after dark, they make no gains and are pure loss. Curtains,
or shutters, with as thick linings as you can afford, should always be
drawn or closed at dusk..

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 17:05:06 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

MM wrote:
On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 10:50:33 +0000, Graeme
wrote:

In message , MM
writes
[...]

Okay. Now, should the shutters be pushed into the aperture right up
tight against the window frame or should they best be inserted into
the first 3 inches of the aperture? That is (in the latter example),
an air gap of some 4 inches would exist between the window and the
shutter.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , MM
writes
wrote:

My experience is with Victorian single glazed sash windows, where
internal shutters do make a big difference. Whether the same difference
would be felt with modern double glazed windows is debatable.

Put it this way, imagine an equivalent house, but with all the windows
bricked up. Would it lose less heat than with the windows? I reckon it
would.

Point taken. With our house, because we only have drafty old windows,
closing the shutters at dusk makes a noticeable difference, but I'm not
sure that the occupants of a modern, double glazed house would notice
the same difference. Probably not, although I'm sure shutters would
help, but to a lesser degree.

Funny thing is, with all the talk of shutters, single/double/triple
glazing, various forms of heat and controls, whatever the theory, it is
what the occupants feel or perceive that is important.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 08:23:25 +0000, Graeme
wrote:

In message , MM
writes
wrote:

[...]

That is true. I've just come in from a few hours' shopping in Spalding
and it's snowing again. Even though the temperature in the kitchen has
dropped to around 56 deg (Fahrenheit) while I've been out, it feels as
warm as toast compared to outside.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Aesthetically speaking I can't imagine internal shutters looking that
great but I guess its a matter of opinion.

I suspect after a while you would find it a bit of a hassle to take
down every day.

I would suggest curtains with heavy weight interlining with blackout
lining.

The interlining would reduce the amount of heat lost through
conduction and the blackout lining would reduce the amount of heat
lost through drafts.

Curtains Made Simple

Posted to uk.d-i-y

CurtainsMadeSimple gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying:

Aesthetically speaking I can't imagine internal shutters looking that
great

You'd be surprised. There's a signwritten van around this area belonging
to a bloke who seems to specialise in wooden internal shutters, and from
outside they can look very good indeed. I've not had a close-up look at
'em from inside, but the pics on his website look good.

but I guess its a matter of opinion.

Isn't everything?

I suspect after a while you would find it a bit of a hassle to take down
every day.

Ever heard of hinges?

I would suggest curtains

I think you might be a _tidge_ biased, given your posting name & email
address, though...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 09:31:36 -0800 (PST), CurtainsMadeSimple
wrote:

Aesthetically speaking I can't imagine internal shutters looking that
great but I guess its a matter of opinion.

There's no one in the rooms to look at them!

I suspect after a while you would find it a bit of a hassle to take
down every day.

Why? It's a matter of a few seconds per.

I would suggest curtains with heavy weight interlining with blackout
lining.

I don't like curtains.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
CurtainsMadeSimple writes
Aesthetically speaking I can't imagine internal shutters looking that
great but I guess its a matter of opinion.

I cannot imagine using shutters that have to be lifted into and out of
the frame on a daily basis. Ours hinge into the window recess. Each
window has three parts to the shutter, with one, hinged in the middle,
covering two thirds of the window and the other, one third. They
disappear into the recess when not in use - when we moved into the
house, I did not even realise the windows had shutters for a while.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 08:39:42 +0000, Graeme
wrote:

In message
,
CurtainsMadeSimple writes
Aesthetically speaking I can't imagine internal shutters looking that
great but I guess its a matter of opinion.

I cannot imagine using shutters that have to be lifted into and out of
the frame on a daily basis.

Why not? Other people draw their curtains on a daily basis. And, in
fact, why would the shutter need to be removed at all in the winter in
an unoccupied bedroom? I could drape a faux net curtain on the outside
of the shutter, then it wouldn't be noticed.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian
saying something like:

Aesthetically speaking I can't imagine internal shutters looking that
great

You'd be surprised. There's a signwritten van around this area belonging
to a bloke who seems to specialise in wooden internal shutters, and from
outside they can look very good indeed. I've not had a close-up look at
'em from inside, but the pics on his website look good.

The houses I stayed in as a kid were of Victorian construction with big
wooden internal shutters that folded to the sides of the reveals. As a
matter of course they were always shut and stuck fast with paint, so
hardly ever used. It wasn't until many years later I came across them
again and found that when they were properly maintained and used they
were very effective indeed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

The houses I stayed in as a kid were of Victorian construction with big
wooden internal shutters that folded to the sides of the reveals. As a
matter of course they were always shut and stuck fast with paint, so
hardly ever used. It wasn't until many years later I came across them
again and found that when they were properly maintained and used they
were very effective indeed.

I remember my grandparents' house in the mid 60s. The shutters were
always closed at night and the big thick velvet curtains drawn. And
shutters two on the porch, bolted and barred on going to bed.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , MM
writes
wrote:

I cannot imagine using shutters that have to be lifted into and out of
the frame on a daily basis.

Why not? Other people draw their curtains on a daily basis.

There is a huge difference between opening and closing curtains, and
lifting shutters in and out. Whether open or closed, curtains just hang
there. What would one do with the shutters during the day? Leave them
leaning against the wall? Transfer them to and from a large cupboard
twice a day? Notta chance. Proper hinged shutters, on the other hand,
are effortless, taking no more time to open or close than curtains.

And, in
fact, why would the shutter need to be removed at all in the winter in
an unoccupied bedroom?

We are discussing rooms that are used daily, as far as I'm aware. Yes,
I can see that different rules could be applied to a rarely used
bedroom, for example.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
MM pretended :
have double-glazing in my 5-year-old house. In this very cold
weather I wondered whether home-made shutters to fit inside the window
openings (from inside the rooms) might reduce heat loss even more.

In northern Italy outside roller shutters were fairly common and seemed
effective, but I found them a bit claustrophobic. I don't even like
drawn curtains for the same reason.

So no chance of a quickie on the sofa for you then?

That reminds me of a joke.

Two homosexuals on a train.
First one says to the other, 'shall we go to the toilet'?
Other ones says, 'we have no vasaline'.
Fist one says, 'we can get a sandwich from the buffet car and scrape off
the butter.'
Then off they go.

Another passenger has been listening to what they have planned and
follows them after a few minutes. He pushes the toilet door open to find
the first one blowing up the arse of the other one. Passenger asks what
he is doing and the first one replies 'there was mustard in that butter'.

Sorry

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember djc saying
something like:

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

The houses I stayed in as a kid were of Victorian construction with big
wooden internal shutters that folded to the sides of the reveals. As a
matter of course they were always shut and stuck fast with paint, so
hardly ever used. It wasn't until many years later I came across them
again and found that when they were properly maintained and used they
were very effective indeed.

I remember my grandparents' house in the mid 60s. The shutters were
always closed at night and the big thick velvet curtains drawn. And
shutters two on the porch, bolted and barred on going to bed.

Exactly that. I recall some of them had a swivelling cross-bar which
locked them solid when they were swung together.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 22:48:05 +0000, Dave
wrote:

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
MM pretended :
[...]

So you should be! That was an absolute howler

Much better was what Rabbi Lionel Blue told on Today 30 minutes ago:

A Jewish mother is out shopping when she is confronted by a flasher.
The man opens his raincoat and shows off his wares. She beckons him
closer and he's thinking all his Christmases have come at once. Then
she looks at the spectacle and exclaims "Call that a lining?"

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 3 Jan 2010 21:21:37 +0000, Graeme
wrote:

In message , MM
writes
wrote:

I cannot imagine using shutters that have to be lifted into and out of
the frame on a daily basis.

Why not? Other people draw their curtains on a daily basis.

There is a huge difference between opening and closing curtains, and
lifting shutters in and out. Whether open or closed, curtains just hang
there. What would one do with the shutters during the day? Leave them
leaning against the wall?

Exactly so! What's the problem with leaning a shutter against the wall
during the coldest part of the year? It wouldn't bother me for one
second.

Transfer them to and from a large cupboard
twice a day? Notta chance. Proper hinged shutters, on the other hand,
are effortless, taking no more time to open or close than curtains.

But then the shutters are there all year round and they are completely
unnecessary once the weather gets warmer.

And, in
fact, why would the shutter need to be removed at all in the winter in
an unoccupied bedroom?

We are discussing rooms that are used daily, as far as I'm aware. Yes,
I can see that different rules could be applied to a rarely used
bedroom, for example.

I am on my own. I can only occupy one room at once. In cold weather
that tends to be one of three rooms: the kitchen, my workroom or the
middle bedroom. None of the other rooms is occupied. I could leave the
shutters in place 24/7 while the weather remains cold. (Okay, I didn't
count the minutes spent each day in the bathroom.)

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember djc saying
something like:

I remember my grandparents' house in the mid 60s. The shutters were
always closed at night and the big thick velvet curtains drawn. And
shutters two on the porch, bolted and barred on going to bed.

Exactly that. I recall some of them had a swivelling cross-bar which
locked them solid when they were swung together.

Indeed. Perhaps these days we overlook the obvious, in so many things.
Most of us are probably old enough to have lived in houses without
central heating, and doubtless remember our parents/grandparents using
thick curtains, 'sausages' at the bottom of the door, and similar
methods to preserve warmth.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Graeme
saying something like:

Perhaps these days we overlook the obvious, in so many things.
Most of us are probably old enough to have lived in houses without
central heating, and doubtless remember our parents/grandparents using
thick curtains, 'sausages' at the bottom of the door, and similar
methods to preserve warmth.

Ho ho.
I've been doing just that, the past couple of weeks. One of my long-term
projects for this building was to properly insulate it - perhaps not to
Passivhaus standard, but as good as I can get it within a reasonable
spend. 10" thick solid concrete block walls, so external 100mm Celotex
or similar will do nicely.
The winters here are typically mild with most daytime temps hovering
around 6 - 10degC and nights usually 2 or 4. Not this winter, and it's
really brought home to me how much heat is escaping out of the walls,
roof, air changes and the like. As a result the project for the next 12
months will be insulation, insulation, insulation. Also, I will look
seriously at building a couple or several window shutters.

Water Heater Flushing: Good idea or bad idea? VQ Home Repair 16 November 20th 17 04:14 AM
Good Idea - Bad Idea Carl Metalworking 0 December 16th 08 04:56 PM
wickes internal doors - any good? jim UK diy 3 August 12th 08 04:37 PM
Internal room skeleton idea? [email protected] Metalworking 19 April 28th 06 10:43 PM
Internal room skeleton idea? [email protected] Home Repair 2 April 25th 06 09:02 PM