Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Insulating ceiling above a garage

I would like to insulate a bedroom floor above a garage and have been
thing of using blown insulation between the floor beams. What would be
the best type to use and I do not want it to interfere with the
heating pipes and elctrical cable. Blown rock wall?, I assume
polystyrene would be bad!
Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

comp.zrch.embedded wrote:

I would like to insulate a bedroom floor above a garage and have been
thing of using blown insulation between the floor beams. What would be
the best type to use and I do not want it to interfere with the
heating pipes and elctrical cable. Blown rock wall?, I assume
polystyrene would be bad!
Thanks

If it's not already insulated, it was presumably built a long time ago - and
almost certainly doesn't comply with current building/fire regulations.

Why not do the job properly by taking down and then re-making the garage
ceiling? While it's down, you can pack between the joists with rockwool (far
better than loose fill), install a vapour barrier, and then fit however many
layers of plasterboard are required for fire regs (probably 2 with
non-overlapping joints?)
--
Cheers,
Roger