barry martin

Default Insulating cellar ceiling

Bluesman:

B I have a 100 year old colonial in the northeast with an oil burner and
B fhw. In the winter my kitchen gets very cold. The heating design was
B terrible, with only a small baseboard heater along an outside wall.
B (all other rooms have big radiators.)
B Would insulating the ceiling in the cellar help? The cellar does not
B get ridiculously cold, but for $75 worth of insulation and a staple
B gun, it would be apretty cheap fix.
B Also, is there anything I can do to get more heat into the kitchen
B short of putting in a new radiator?

As you said, insulating the floor probably wouldn't hurt. Is there
insulation in the walls, properly sealed windows? Also check for
ceiling insulation: when I was growing up in my parents' house (not
nearly as old as your's) my bedroom was _COLD_ in winter. Plenty of
heat coming out the vents (forced air, oil burner). Dad eventually
went into the attic and found the first three or four feet had
insulation - the majority of my bedroom's ceiling was only separated
from the outside by the ceiling! Much better (and cooler in summer)
when he finished insulating.

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* Bad Kids' Books: The Unabomber Pop-Up Manifesto and Coloring Book
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *
BKS

Insulating almost never hurts. There are small electric kickspace heaters
(some with thermostats and timers) that fit under cabinets to give a kitchen
an extra kick of heat (no pun intended).

news:1101456044.5056.61.2219568.1466619632.RIMEGat ...