Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 9inch tall skirting board

I need to source some 9inch skirting board for a victorian house I am doing
up. My ex-gf decided to destroy what was previously in the rooms (handy),
and now it seems that most builders merchants and the like only do up to
about 170mm tall.

I am not quite sure what design I am after yet, but I would almost settle
for anything as long as the height was correct and it was not too plane
looking.

Is it possible to make your own, or simply not worth the effort? I was
wondering if you can get a fancy adjustable plane and a number of
differentlfashioned blades? I know it might not be the faster way to get
some, but it might look best in the long run.

Someone suggested buying some 170mm stuff and stucking a piece of wood along
the bottom of it, which seems a bit like a cop out to me.....

Any comments most welcome.

Thanks,
Matt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matt A" wrote in message
[...]

If you get it from a timber merchant, it is not much difference for them to
put a moulded edge on a board 9" wide or 3" wide. You will just have to wait
a few days for non-standard stuff.
A composite skirting might be easier to fit, ie 6" +3" moulded section,
unless you have a sliding mitre saw.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matt A" wrote in message
[...]

Its amazing what you can find with google

you will find the plane here it is only £670

http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Wood...es/planes.html

Most every one uses a router for this sort of work now

Unless you have a spindle moulder but then the tools would cost more than
the plane above

Skirting from

http://www.savoytimber.com/timber-sh...prod_1149.html

for example

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 12:37:46 -0000, "Matt A"
wrote:

[...]

Dunno where you stay but I'm in Glasgow and needed to replace some in
my Vict'n tenement flat .The original skirting is 9" but with a
moulding along the top. I went to a place locally in Paisley and got
them to slice up an 8 x 4 MDF sheet and I also bought skirting top
moulding from them ...they shape it themselves .Painted it looks fine
..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

.

Makes sense to use mdf for the bulk of the profile, softwood of that
width being very expensive these days. 5" of one thickness, 3" of
something slightly thinner, and a 1" softwood bead on top of that maybe.
Easier to cut them separately and just sit on one top of the other
rather than mitreing the whole 9"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Stuart
Noble writes
wrote:

[...]

Third vote for fabricated skirting, v common in Scotland where ornate
rooms have 12" skirting. As long as it's being painted then 12mm MDF is
perfect for the job on the plain part, cheap and readily sawn at source
into long strips. Mine are battened off the wall to about an inch to the
finished surface. The purpose run mouldings to finish the top off were
originally flat and fairly thin, and tacked on tacked on at about a
60deg angle to finish but try sourcing those now. Instead, some picture
rail mouldings can work as a cheap source of capping, for those in
Glasgow, Kelvin Timber have one that adapts well to that use.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

My skirtings are one 9" piece plain wood with the seperate moulding
nailed along the top.The skirting sits just over an inch off the wall
supported by battens and the mouldings are nailed to them . Timber
Express in Abercorn Street,Paisley have the mouldings in stock for
anyone local.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Think its called soldier skirting, two part , where plain panel is
spaced from wall with short batten soldiers and moulding is pinned to
top.

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Matt A
writes
I need to source some 9inch skirting board for a victorian house I am doing
up. My ex-gf decided to destroy what was previously in the rooms (handy),
and now it seems that most builders merchants and the like only do up to
about 170mm tall.

I am not quite sure what design I am after yet, but I would almost settle
for anything as long as the height was correct and it was not too plane
looking.

Is it possible to make your own, or simply not worth the effort? I was
wondering if you can get a fancy adjustable plane and a number of
differentlfashioned blades? I know it might not be the faster way to get
some, but it might look best in the long run.

Someone suggested buying some 170mm stuff and stucking a piece of wood along
the bottom of it, which seems a bit like a cop out to me.....

Place round the corner used to do them to order (before TP bought them
out) no idea now. If you wanted one of their stock patterns, it was
reasonably cheap, if you wanted a specific pattern, you had the setting
up charge to factor in

You could always buy PAR planking and stick some beading on top

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Matt A
writes
[...]

And you can't tell it isn't a one piece moulding. My local merchant
wants £5.47 per m for 25 x 200 though

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Rob is offline

On 13/12/2009 12:37, Matt A wrote:
[...]

Take a look here
http://www.realoakfloors.co.uk/skirt...s_profiles.php

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 246942 20091215 230911 Rob wrote:
[...]

Also check the local timber yard; mine sells both sizes.

skirting board and architrave Stephen[_6_] UK diy 9 August 22nd 09 01:24 PM
Skirting Board Tricia UK diy 5 April 26th 06 12:23 PM
Skirting board Chris Styles UK diy 8 February 8th 06 04:45 PM
Carpet under skirting board David UK diy 4 October 31st 05 06:33 AM