Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Gel Gel is offline

Default Amplifier (Bush) query

Wrong forums I know, but someone may have a clue.

My admittedly cheap Bush Hi Fi Sytem consists of 3 components, but the
Amp I notice no longer
generates output on Left channel.
Digital Tuner/CD player fine.

I've checked wiring of speakers and reversed connections between left
& right, and it confirms
fault is in amplifier output.
Taking apart hoped may have been blown fuse on the pcb but none of
those inside at all.
Will check for dry joints in relevant area ie channel outputs.

Any other suggestions afore I bin as to which component failure likely
to be in appreciated;
otherwise off to Richer Sounds!.
Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gel wrote:
Wrong forums I know, but someone may have a clue.

My admittedly cheap Bush Hi Fi Sytem consists of 3 components, but the
Amp I notice no longer
generates output on Left channel.
Digital Tuner/CD player fine.

I've checked wiring of speakers and reversed connections between left
& right, and it confirms
fault is in amplifier output.
Taking apart hoped may have been blown fuse on the pcb but none of
those inside at all.
Will check for dry joints in relevant area ie channel outputs.

Any other suggestions afore I bin as to which component failure likely
to be in appreciated;
otherwise off to Richer Sounds!.
Thanks.

If it has a mono switch, try that. If it makes both work, its in the
preamp. If not its the power stage - fuse bad wire or more likely blown
transistor or chip.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gel Gel is offline

On 12 Dec, 13:53, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Gel wrote:
Wrong forums I know, but someone may have a clue.

My admittedly cheap Bush Hi Fi Sytem consists of 3 components, but the
Amp I notice no longer
generates output on Left channel.
Digital Tuner/CD player fine.

I've checked wiring of speakers and reversed connections between left
& right, and it confirms
fault is in amplifier output.
Taking apart hoped may have been blown fuse on the pcb but none of
those inside at all.
Will check for dry joints in relevant area ie channel outputs.

Any other suggestions afore I bin as to which component failure likely
to be in appreciated;
otherwise off to Richer Sounds!.
Thanks.

If it has a mono switch, try that. If it makes both work, its in the
preamp. If not its the power stage - fuse bad wire or more likely blown
transistor or chip.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks TNP; I remember those; don't think that has one, or a mon
setting; will check.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Gel wrote:
[...]

I once had a Sony with a dodgy volume control - I had to work it a bit to
get the left channel operating.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Gel wrote:
[...]

Spray tracks anyway in any opening up of old amps ..RS contact cleaner.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Gel wrote:
Wrong forums I know, but someone may have a clue.

Try sci.electronics.repair

My admittedly cheap Bush Hi Fi Sytem consists of 3 components, but the
Amp I notice no longer
generates output on Left channel.
Digital Tuner/CD player fine.

snip

Perhaps you might find something here.
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/audiofaq.htm

You will at least need a DMM and be able to take some readings with the
item powered on. Being stereo gives you two identical halves of the amp
to make comparative measurements.

What's the model number. Maybe (but no promises) a schematic might be
out there.

But given the price of these things, maybe a replacement might be for
you. If your tastes in music are purely for background entertainment
walking into a hifi shop is unnecessary, and cheap integrated compact
systems won't be found there. I'd try John Lewis or Currys over Richer
Sounds in that senario.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On Dec 12, 12:59*pm, Gel wrote:
Wrong forums I know, but someone may have a clue.

My admittedly cheap Bush Hi Fi Sytem consists of 3 components, but the
Amp I notice no longer
generates output on Left channel.
Digital Tuner/CD player fine.

I've checked wiring of speakers and reversed connections between left
& right, and it confirms
fault is in amplifier output.
Taking apart hoped may have been blown fuse on the pcb but none of
those inside at all.
Will check for dry joints in relevant area ie channel outputs.

Any other suggestions afore I bin as to which component failure likely
to be in appreciated;
otherwise off to Richer Sounds!.
Thanks.

Just attach both speakers to the working channel. Next time try a
decent second hand item instea of new junk.

NT
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Come on, in actual fact these cheap items can sound nnot bad. The weak link
is normally the speakers I find. Of course they are not going to shake the
walls on organ bass notes but they can sound reasonable. Also think more of
them really should spend five pence on an aerial socket as well instead of a
bit of wire.

Gives fm a bad name!
Brian

Email:

"NT" wrote in message
On Dec 12, 12:59 pm, Gel wrote:
Wrong forums I know, but someone may have a clue.

My admittedly cheap Bush Hi Fi Sytem consists of 3 components, but the
Amp I notice no longer
generates output on Left channel.
Digital Tuner/CD player fine.

I've checked wiring of speakers and reversed connections between left
& right, and it confirms
fault is in amplifier output.
Taking apart hoped may have been blown fuse on the pcb but none of
those inside at all.
Will check for dry joints in relevant area ie channel outputs.

Any other suggestions afore I bin as to which component failure likely
to be in appreciated;
otherwise off to Richer Sounds!.
Thanks.

Just attach both speakers to the working channel. Next time try a
decent second hand item instea of new junk.

NT

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On Dec 13, 8:16*am, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
Come on, in actual fact these cheap items can sound nnot bad.

indeed, on carefully selected music. But as the OP's story
demonstrates, as well as the sound being second rate, the life
expectancy is poor too. So TCO per annum is higher for low quality
goods than with good quality second hand kit, of which there's lots
about at very low prices. Plus the added hassle of getting replacments
every 3 yrs as it breaks.

NT
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In article
,
NT wrote:
NT wrote:
Just attach both speakers to the working channel. Next time try a
decent second hand item instea of new junk.

On Dec 13, 8:16 am, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
Come on, in actual fact these cheap items can sound nnot bad.

indeed, on carefully selected music. But as the OP's story
demonstrates, as well as the sound being second rate, the life
expectancy is poor too. So TCO per annum is higher for low quality
goods than with good quality second hand kit, of which there's lots
about at very low prices. Plus the added hassle of getting replacments
every 3 yrs as it breaks.

I recently repaired a v expensive (in its day) Japanese AV amp. The
protection was cutting in so it powered down just after switching on.
Turned out to be one of the surround amps going unstable and triggering
the LS protection. That amp design was based around a standard driver chip
- but they had left out some of the components in the makers spec sheet
for the basic design - including the Zobel network and output series
choke. So the old bean counter method of removing components until it
stops working then replacing the last one...
Some local smoothing on the HT rails sorted it.

NT

--
*The first rule of holes: If you are in one, stop digging!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Gel wrote:
otherwise off to Richer Sounds!.

I recently bought a second-hand Arcam Alpha 6 amplifier off e-bay for
£40. It's sensational. Equivalent new at least £250.

Another Dave

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Gel Gel is offline

On 12 Dec, 17:16, Another Dave wrote:
Gel wrote:
otherwise off to Richer Sounds!.

I recently bought a second-hand Arcam Alpha 6 amplifier off e-bay for
£40. It's sensational. Equivalent new at least £250.

Another Dave

Thanks all; was a dry joint.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

I take it this is one of those items that looks like separates but is all
powered from one basic unit in the case.

Two things to look for. Sometimes these items use modules for the sound
output. They tend to be screwed to the biggest bit of metal inside. Its
highly likely that one of these has failed, and if its not too old one can
fix them by replacement.
There was one maker of these badged systems who pushed the boat out big
time and put two identical voltage regulated supplies in, one for each amp,
but fed from the same transformer of course. Its possible one has failed.

Mind you unfortunate thhough it may be, most of these, if they need someone
whos time costs money to fix are uneconomic to get sorted. Its cheaper to
just get another Chinese built box instead.

You might hhave problems if it contains a tape machine of two though.

Brian

Email:

"Gel" wrote in message
Wrong forums I know, but someone may have a clue.

My admittedly cheap Bush Hi Fi Sytem consists of 3 components, but the
Amp I notice no longer
generates output on Left channel.
Digital Tuner/CD player fine.

I've checked wiring of speakers and reversed connections between left
& right, and it confirms
fault is in amplifier output.
Taking apart hoped may have been blown fuse on the pcb but none of
those inside at all.
Will check for dry joints in relevant area ie channel outputs.

Any other suggestions afore I bin as to which component failure likely
to be in appreciated;
otherwise off to Richer Sounds!.
Thanks.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

I take it this is one of those items that looks like separates but is all
powered from one basic unit in the case.

Don't top-post, it makes the baby Jesus cry, especially at this time of
year.

No.

Does Top posting make sense?

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 08:46:48 +0000, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

Don't top-post, it makes the baby Jesus cry, especially at this time of
year.

Brian is blind, it is it is admirable that he posts here at all.
--
Andrew, contact via http://interpleb.googlepages.com
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

I'm normally not taken to play the blind card here, but what really
irritates me are those who bottom post, but leave every bit of the
conversation at the top. I lose the will to live before I find the reply.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
wrote:

Don't top-post, it makes the baby Jesus cry, especially at this time of
year.

Brian is blind, it is it is admirable that he posts here at all.
--
Andrew, contact via
http://interpleb.googlepages.com

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 13:47:20 GMT, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

I'm normally not taken to play the blind card here, but what really
irritates me are those who bottom post, but leave every bit of the
conversation at the top. I lose the will to live before I find the reply.

I hate that too Brian, it is very inconsiderate.
--
Andrew, contact via http://interpleb.googlepages.com
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
m...
I'm normally not taken to play the blind card here, but what really
irritates me are those who bottom post, but leave every bit of the
conversation at the top. I lose the will to live before I find the reply.

Can't you make your reader ignore all lines beginning with more than one
right chevron ?

That would eliminate all comments but the ones from the post you are
replying to.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
I'm normally not taken to play the blind card here, but what really
irritates me are those who bottom post, but leave every bit of the
conversation at the top. I lose the will to live before I find the reply.

Yeah - almost as annoying as top posters and those who put their sig sep
above the text that they are replying to - so it disappears from the
thread

Do you think you could look up and learn how to use a sig sep properly ?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Don't top-post, it makes the baby Jesus cry, especially at this time of
year.

Brian is blind, it is it is admirable that he posts here at all.

THere are several blind posters using other newsgroups. They manage to
post sensibly, so the cripplecard won't work on this occasion. But
thanks for being a pompous arse.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .

THere are several blind posters using other newsgroups. They manage to
post sensibly, so the cripplecard won't work on this occasion. But
thanks for being a pompous arse.

Just because one blind poster can cope with news groups doesn't mean that
others can do the same.
Look at the trouble you have with them.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

What has where I reply got to do with the question. I top post because being
blind makes sorting through quotes far more difficult than it is for you
mouse wielding pedants out there.
Brian

--
Brian Gaff wrote:

I take it this is one of those items that looks like separates but is all
powered from one basic unit in the case.

Don't top-post, it makes the baby Jesus cry, especially at this time of
year.

No.

Does Top posting make sense?

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
What has where I reply got to do with the question. I top post because
being blind makes sorting through quotes far more difficult than it is
for you mouse wielding pedants out there.

So what you really want is for everyone to top post?

--
*A fool and his money are soon partying *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

I think the really annoying folk are not the top posters like me, they are
those who bottom post but leave the whole thread quoted above it. At least
when I leave it, its below what I've said and can be looked at if you like.
Most people I'd imagine, these days if reading on a server download like
this, can have the attention span long enough to remember the previous
message when they get to mine so lots of quoting before the reply is not
needed, even after a long time. Add to that the fact that if they really
cannot remember it, its still there, just a mouse jiggle away.
I don't miss the mouse now, I got over it. Now get over the pedantry of old
net ways not totally relevant in today's world.

Brian

--

Brian Gaff wrote:

I take it this is one of those items that looks like separates but is
all
powered from one basic unit in the case.

Don't top-post, it makes the baby Jesus cry, especially at this time of
year.

No.

Does Top posting make sense?

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
I think the really annoying folk are not the top posters like me, they are
those who bottom post but leave the whole thread quoted above it. At least
when I leave it, its below what I've said and can be looked at if you like.
Most people I'd imagine, these days if reading on a server download like
this, can have the attention span long enough to remember the previous
message when they get to mine so lots of quoting before the reply is not
needed, even after a long time. Add to that the fact that if they really
cannot remember it, its still there, just a mouse jiggle away.
I don't miss the mouse now, I got over it. Now get over the pedantry of old
net ways not totally relevant in today's world.

And get your sig sep sorted out FFS

--
geoff
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 2009-12-13, Brian Gaff wrote:
I think the really annoying folk are not the top posters like me, they
are those who bottom post but leave the whole thread quoted above it. At
least when I leave it, its below what I've said and can be looked at if
you like. Most people I'd imagine, these days if reading on a server
download like this, can have the attention span long enough to remember
the previous message when they get to mine so lots of quoting before the
reply is not needed, even after a long time. Add to that the fact that if
they really
cannot remember it, its still there, just a mouse jiggle away.
I don't miss the mouse now, I got over it. Now get over the pedantry of
old
net ways not totally relevant in today's world.

Brian, you miss the point. When one enters a social space, it is customary
to obey the "rules" of that social space, or be thought a boor. uk.d-i-y
is a "bottom posting" newsgroup. It is better if everyone goes along with
the customs of a newsgroup.

It is not a "custom", it is actually a part of an RFC. It also tells you how
you should trim posts.

--
http://www.mailtrap.org.uk/
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

What has where I reply got to do with the question. I top post because being
blind makes sorting through quotes far more difficult than it is for you
mouse wielding pedants out there.

I know a few blind posters. They all manage to post sensibly. Your
argument is cack, since you still have to read posts written proeprly.
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In article , %steve%
@malloc.co.uk says...

Brian Gaff wrote:

What has where I reply got to do with the question. I top post because being
blind makes sorting through quotes far more difficult than it is for you
mouse wielding pedants out there.

I know a few blind posters. They all manage to post sensibly. Your
argument is cack, since you still have to read posts written proeprly.

I and, I am sure, most people on here have no problem with Brian's top
posting but do get a bit fed up with the people who do - many of whom
haven't even bothered to read his sig.

Like Brian, I also get fed up with replies where the original, often
long, post isn't trimmed yet most of it is completely irrelevant to the
reply content.

I have a solution for Brian which should keep everybody happy - to
delete the original post in its entirety before writing his reply. He
might need to keep a separate copy of his signature to copy and paste in
at the end, as that will almost certainly disappear as well.

Problem solved ...

--

Terry