Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replace Battery or new driver?

My 10 year old Bosch PSR 7,2 has only had light use, and is still
in good condition, but the battery is pretty shot. I can get an
unbranded replacement, with twice the capacity, from ebay for
GBP25.49.

Currently on offer at B&Q is

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=10668124&fh_reft heme=promo_159030003%2cseeall%2c%2f%2fcatalog01%2f en_GB%2fcategories%3c%7b9372015%7d%2fcategories%3c %7b9392074%7d&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fca talog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3c%7b9372015%7d%2fcat egories%3c%7b9392074%7d%2fspecificationsProductTyp e%3dpower_tools&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=lister&ts =1258533112854&isSearch=false

A Bosch PSR 14.4 V driver, complete with two batteries, for only
GBP49.98

Much as I dislike throwing away working kit, I can't really
justify buying a replacement battery, could you?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
[...]

I did the same recently when my old and trusty DeWalt batteries finally
packed up. Picked up whatever was on special offer at Screwfix at the time
(it was actually a Makita 18V with 3 batteries which I'm very pleased with).

I was even more pleased when I sold the old DeWalt body only + case and
charger on ebay and actually got £33 for it!

Good luck!
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 09:06:34 GMT, Chris J Dixon wrote:

My 10 year old Bosch PSR 7,2 has only had light use, and is still
in good condition, but the battery is pretty shot. I can get an
unbranded replacement, with twice the capacity, from ebay for
GBP25.49.

A Bosch PSR 14.4 V driver, complete with two batteries, for only
GBP49.98

Much as I dislike throwing away working kit, I can't really justify
buying a replacement battery, could you?

You say "light use". Has having to wait for the battery to charge
ever been a real problem? If not then why spend £25 more for a new
driver with two batteries? Batteries like to be used, not sat self
discharging for a month or so between uses.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Nov, 09:06, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Much as I dislike throwing away working kit, I can't really
justify buying a replacement battery, could you?

Re-cell it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Nov, 09:06, Chris J Dixon wrote:
My 10 year old Bosch PSR 7,2 has only had light use, and is still
in good condition, but the battery is pretty shot. I can get an
unbranded replacement, with twice the capacity, from ebay for
GBP25.49.

Currently on offer at B&Q is

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=10668...

A Bosch PSR 14.4 V driver, complete with two batteries, for only
GBP49.98

Much as I dislike throwing away working kit, I can't really
justify buying a replacement battery, could you?

I binned my old one in the same situation and got a new one from
Wickes. They've got a range of bodies, batteries and chargers so you
can mix and match. I ended up getting a couple of lower capacity
batteries (1.1 AH istr) as they are lighter, cheaper to replace when
they do die and seem to have enough capacity to keep me working on
whatever DIY stuff I'm up to.

Matt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

You say "light use". Has having to wait for the battery to charge
ever been a real problem? If not then why spend £25 more for a new
driver with two batteries? Batteries like to be used, not sat self
discharging for a month or so between uses.

Well, yes. I now also use it to wind the corner steadies on my
caravan when on the drive. It holds barely enough charge to
raise all four of them. Since it is not a good idea to go away
leaving the battery on charge, I have no chance of using it to
lower them again on my return home.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 12:05:12 GMT, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Well, yes. I now also use it to wind the corner steadies on my
caravan when on the drive. It holds barely enough charge to
raise all four of them. Since it is not a good idea to go away
leaving the battery on charge, I have no chance of using it to
lower them again on my return home.

Waht do you do on site? Why not take it with you and charge onsite or
via an invertor from the car battery when driving or van battery when
not?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 12:05:12 GMT, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Well, yes. I now also use it to wind the corner steadies on my
caravan when on the drive. It holds barely enough charge to
raise all four of them. Since it is not a good idea to go away
leaving the battery on charge, I have no chance of using it to
lower them again on my return home.

Waht do you do on site? Why not take it with you and charge onsite or
via an invertor from the car battery when driving or van battery when
not?

On site, which is more often than not without mains supply, I use
the usual hand brace, as I have been doing for 35 years.

When I changed my caravan a couple of years ago, I found that
compared with my (very) old one, the steadies appeared to need
much more winding.

I thought that the powered option would be handy when on the
drive. Some of my trips are such that I don't want to increase
the battery drain, not do I want the expense or clutter of any
more additional kit, for which I would have no other use.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Andy Dingley writes
On 18 Nov, 09:06, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Much as I dislike throwing away working kit, I can't really
justify buying a replacement battery, could you?

Re-cell it?

Hmm..

Two years ago, I got into a similar situation and bought a second drill
(Direct Power) + 2 batteries from Screwfix.

I now have 4 identical batteries except only one of them holds a charge
for more than a day or so.

What are my chances of cannibalising the 3 to make up one more good
battery? The links are spot welded but the battery housing is only
screwed together.

regards

--
Tim Lamb