Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paint work

I wonder if someone could explain to me why my paint work is peeling?

I know this is the latest in a catalogue of "disasters" - but this is not
life threatening.

The paint has been on the doors ( two internal ones) for fifteen years at
least. I am not good at painting with gloss.

Recently it started to peel off on these doors. A small bit first and now
whole chunks. If touch it I can literally pull strips of paint off the door
leaving the coat underneath visible ( its green so I can see the difference)
..

I have considered just scraping off the top white gloss coat and leaving the
pale green ( except I hate green) in its place to save painting. But I
wonder why after all these years its just decided to peel off this way? I
am guessing it was painted green with apple white walls and woodchip paper
and even the obligatory avocado suite in the bathroom back in the 1970's/
early 80's?

If I re paint will I need to strip it all back to the wood or something?

Thanks for any advice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 08:29:05 -0000, "whiskeyomega"
wrote:

I have considered just scraping off the top white gloss coat and leaving the
pale green ( except I hate green) in its place to save painting. But I
wonder why after all these years its just decided to peel off this way?

Over a period of years, paint shrinks and hardens due to oxidisation
and a gradual loss of solvents. It becomes brittle and flaky. It is
also probably the case that, when the door was painted white, there
was insufficient preparation done to the green paint to ensure that
the white paint adhered properly.

When you repaint it, make sure to wash it down first using sugar soap,
and then sand it lightly but thoroughly to give a key between coats.
Of course, before you do this, all flaking paint must have been
removed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whiskeyomega" wrote in message
[...]

Remove doors.
Take to door stripping company.
Part with a tenner or so.
Collect doors a few days later
Sand lightly.
Varnish
Enjoy the look, texture and comments from visitors of the nice wood doors
you have

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R wrote:

Remove doors.
Take to door stripping company.
Part with a tenner or so.
Collect doors a few days later
Sand lightly.
Varnish
Enjoy the

.... huge number of comments from people saying "stripped doors, that's
so 80s."

Umm and having had them dipped and stripped put up with the fact that
they will shrink, crack, and have a much shorter life than if you done
them properly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whiskeyomega" wrote:

If I re paint will I need to strip it all back to the wood or something?

It's always a difficult decision, depending on the age of the doors.
Victorian or Edwardian doors will have been carefully prepared with
knots filed with "stopping" then primer, undercoat and top coat. If at
all possible it's best to leave these basecoats alone.

OTOH if your doors are only fifteen years old they are likely to be poor
quality mass-market units which have been spray-painted in a factory
with primer and then badly finished by the developer, in a rush.

Assuming that these are old doors and that you're just saying that the
last time they were decorated was fifteen years ago, then I think you
can assume that they are ready for new paint. Your next decision is to
assess just how bad the flaking is. From the sound of it the top coat is
coming off but the coats below (the green coat and whatever is
underneath that) are OK.

This makes it sound as if the problem is that the door was not properly
prepared before the white coat was applied. If it was just slapped over
the green coat with no preparation then flaking is expected. Grease and
dirt from the atmosphere form a layer over paint and prevent new paint
from sticking properly. The solution is to remove the white paint and
then to prepare the surface for painting before applying a new coat of
paint.

If, as you say, the white paint peels off easily, peel it all off to
reveal the green painted layer. Having done this, or as much of it as
possible you need to sand the entire door to provide a key and to level
off any remaining bits of white paint. This is going to make dust, a lot
of it, and no matter how you arrange things dust will get everywhere.
Sanding by hand using a sanding block is probably best, because a power
tool will destroy detail on mouldings and is too aggressive for the job.
I'd suggest going over the entire door with 60 grit abrasive paper.
Somethign good quality such as aluminium oxide paper. Then go over it
again with 80 grit and then again with 120. Remove the dust with a
vacuum cleaner going carefully over the entire surface of the door. Once
this is done wipe down the door with a cloth soaked in wipe spirit then
repeat using a clean cloth and more white spirit then dry off with a
clean, dry lint-free cloth. This should give you a surface good enough
to paint over.

If you're really rubbish at gloss painting is there no one you can ask
to do it for you? Alternatively if the door doesn't have a lot of
moulded detail you might consider using a small gloss roller to apply
the paint.

Like most things it takes practice.

This isn't a bad guide to painting a door:

http://www.howto.tv/show/how-to-paint-a-panel-door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Nov, 09:12, (Steve Firth) wrote:

If, as you say, the white paint peels off easily, peel it all off to
reveal the green painted layer. Having done this, or as much of it as
possible you need to sand the entire door to provide a key and to level
off any remaining bits of white paint. This is going to make dust, a lot
of it, and no matter how you arrange things dust will get everywhere.
Sanding by hand using a sanding block is probably best, because a power
tool will destroy detail on mouldings and is too aggressive for the job.
I'd suggest going over the entire door with 60 grit abrasive paper.
Somethign good quality such as aluminium oxide paper. Then go over it
again with 80 grit and then again with 120.

And wear a face mask.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geraldthehamster wrote:
On 19 Nov, 09:12, (Steve Firth) wrote:

If, as you say, the white paint peels off easily, peel it all off to
reveal the green painted layer. Having done this, or as much of it as
possible you need to sand the entire door to provide a key and to level
off any remaining bits of white paint. This is going to make dust, a lot
of it, and no matter how you arrange things dust will get everywhere.
Sanding by hand using a sanding block is probably best, because a power
tool will destroy detail on mouldings and is too aggressive for the job.
I'd suggest going over the entire door with 60 grit abrasive paper.
Somethign good quality such as aluminium oxide paper. Then go over it
again with 80 grit and then again with 120.

And wear a face mask.

Cheers
Richard

A lot to be said for sending problem doors to the strippers and starting
again, the non-caustic method if you want to avoid the problems
previously outlined.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .
"whiskeyomega" wrote:

If I re paint will I need to strip it all back to the wood or something?

OTOH if your doors are only fifteen years old they are likely to be poor
quality mass-market units which have been spray-painted in a factory
with primer and then badly finished by the developer, in a rush.

Yes, I think they are the sort of mass produced doors. In fact they are
hollow in the middle - I am not sure that makes them made of wood or
hardboard? They are the sort that a lot of houses had in the late 1950's
early 1960's. The sort still in use today. Not proper old wooden doors at
all.
Sorry, I should have made that clear. I had forgotten that some doors are
proper wood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whiskeyomega" wrote:

Yes, I think they are the sort of mass produced doors. In fact they are
hollow in the middle - I am not sure that makes them made of wood or
hardboard? They are the sort that a lot of houses had in the late 1950's
early 1960's. The sort still in use today. Not proper old wooden doors at
all.

Don't get them dipped then, it will destroy them. Follow the advice
given in the video.