Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mixer tap with lo pressure hot and hi pressure cold ?

I'm installing a new basin/mixer in my downstairs cloakroom (where the old
basin had two separate taps).
Now as the cold is fed by the rising main, and the hot by the tank in the
loft I have a pressure imbalance to cope with.
I believe this requires a pressure reducer valve on the cold feed.
I also require each feed to have a single check valve to prevent cross flow
between hot water and rising main.
Then I also wanted to add a service valve to each feed so I can turn off the
water to the basin.

The pipes come through the wall from the kitchen behind kitchen cabinets,
and I don't have a lot of room to install all this stuff below the basin.
Unfortunately the mixer tap doesn't have built in service valves.
Are there any clever fittings that combine say the single check valve with a
service valve, or a pressure reducer with a check valve and service valve ?
Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 14:25:40 -0000, TonyB wrote:

I also require each feed to have a single check valve to prevent cross
flow between hot water and rising main.

Are you sure? If the "mixer" doesn't mix the waters until they exit
the spout then you don't do you? Check the design of your mixer tap.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TonyB wrote:
I'm installing a new basin/mixer in my downstairs cloakroom (where the
old basin had two separate taps). Now as the cold is fed by the rising
main, and the hot by the tank in the loft I have a pressure imbalance to
cope with. I believe this requires a pressure reducer valve on the cold
feed.

I did a similar thing in the kitchen with a posh lever arm mixer. Only to
discover it was really intended for high pressure only. As most of these
things are these days. So have you actually tried yours yet? I ended up
adding a pump to the hot rather than reducing the cold flow.

I also require each feed to have a single check valve to prevent
cross flow between hot water and rising main.

Are you sure you need this?

Then I also wanted to add
a service valve to each feed so I can turn off the water to the basin.

Where flow is a problem as likely with the hot, best to use full bore
valves.

--
*There are two sides to every divorce: Yours and **** head's*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I checked with Crosswater and they were quite clear that I needed check
valves. I think the water mixes inside the mixer not in the spout.
Thanks
Tony

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 14:25:40 -0000, TonyB wrote:

I also require each feed to have a single check valve to prevent cross
flow between hot water and rising main.

Are you sure? If the "mixer" doesn't mix the waters until they exit
the spout then you don't do you? Check the design of your mixer tap.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
TonyB wrote:
I'm installing a new basin/mixer in my downstairs cloakroom (where the
old basin had two separate taps). Now as the cold is fed by the rising
main, and the hot by the tank in the loft I have a pressure imbalance to
cope with. I believe this requires a pressure reducer valve on the cold
feed.

I did a similar thing in the kitchen with a posh lever arm mixer. Only to
discover it was really intended for high pressure only. As most of these
things are these days. So have you actually tried yours yet? I ended up
adding a pump to the hot rather than reducing the cold flow.

I hope not, as the hot flows pretty well, and drives mixer taps in the
kitchen with no problem.

I also require each feed to have a single check valve to prevent
cross flow between hot water and rising main.

Are you sure you need this?

According to the tap manufacturer, apparently I do ? I guess it depends on
the mixer design.

Then I also wanted to add
a service valve to each feed so I can turn off the water to the basin.

Where flow is a problem as likely with the hot, best to use full bore
valves.

OK. The tank is 2 floors up in the loft, so flow rate isn't bad.....

Thanks
Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TonyB wrote:
I'm installing a new basin/mixer in my downstairs cloakroom (where the
old basin had two separate taps). Now as the cold is fed by the rising
main, and the hot by the tank in the loft I have a pressure imbalance to
cope with. I believe this requires a pressure reducer valve on the cold
feed.

I did a similar thing in the kitchen with a posh lever arm mixer. Only to
discover it was really intended for high pressure only. As most of these
things are these days. So have you actually tried yours yet? I ended up
adding a pump to the hot rather than reducing the cold flow.

Yep. A pump for one tap. Amazing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TonyB wrote:
I'm installing a new basin/mixer in my downstairs cloakroom (where
the old basin had two separate taps). Now as the cold is fed by the
rising main, and the hot by the tank in the loft I have a pressure
imbalance to cope with. I believe this requires a pressure reducer
valve on the cold feed.

I did a similar thing in the kitchen with a posh lever arm mixer. Only
to discover it was really intended for high pressure only. As most of
these things are these days. So have you actually tried yours yet? I
ended up adding a pump to the hot rather than reducing the cold flow.

Yep. A pump for one tap. Amazing.

It is, isn't it? If you need instructions on how to fit one feel free to
ask.

--
*Why is the man who invests all your money called a broker? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TonyB wrote:
I'm installing a new basin/mixer in my downstairs cloakroom (where
the old basin had two separate taps). Now as the cold is fed by the
rising main, and the hot by the tank in the loft I have a pressure
imbalance to cope with. I believe this requires a pressure reducer
valve on the cold feed.

I did a similar thing in the kitchen with a posh lever arm mixer. Only
to discover it was really intended for high pressure only. As most of
these things are these days. So have you actually tried yours yet? I
ended up adding a pump to the hot rather than reducing the cold flow.

Yep. A pump for one tap. Amazing.

It is, isn't it? If you need instructions on how to fit one feel free to
ask.

I would never be so dumb as to fit a pump on one tap, so do not need your
instructions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Yep. A pump for one tap. Amazing.

It is, isn't it? If you need instructions on how to fit one feel free
to ask.

I would never be so dumb as to fit a pump on one tap, so do not need
your instructions.

You obviously don't know anything about 'designer' mixers which are only
for high pressure supplies, then. But if you ask nicely I'll help you out.

--
*If you don't like the news, go out and make some.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
Yep. A pump for one tap. Amazing.

It is, isn't it? If you need instructions on how to fit one feel free
to ask.

I would never be so dumb as to fit a pump on one tap, so do not need
your instructions.

You

Please eff off you are a total plantpot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
Yep. A pump for one tap. Amazing.

It is, isn't it? If you need instructions on how to fit one feel free
to ask.

I would never be so dumb as to fit a pump on one tap, so do not need
your instructions.

You

Please eff off you are a total plantpot.

Very sad - I offer to help you and get an insult instead. Typical of a
know it all amateur.

--
*A dog's not just for Christmas, it's alright on a Friday night too*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
Yep. A pump for one tap. Amazing.

It is, isn't it? If you need instructions on how to fit one feel
free
to ask.

I would never be so dumb as to fit a pump on one tap, so do not need
your instructions.

You

Please eff off you are a total plantpot.

Very sad

Please eff off you are a total plantpot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Doctor Drivel"
saying something like:

Please eff off you are a total plantpot.

Very sad

Please eff off you are a total plantpot.

Ah, you're back.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Doctor Drivel"
saying something like:

Please eff off you are a total plantpot.

Very sad

Please eff off you are a total plantpot.

Ah, you're back.

Please eff off you are a total loony.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Doctor Drivel"
saying something like:

Please eff off you are a total plantpot.

Very sad

Please eff off you are a total plantpot.

Ah, you're back.

And the treatment obviously failed again.

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Doctor Drivel"
saying something like:

Please eff off you are a total plantpot.

Very sad

Please eff off you are a total plantpot.

Ah, you're back.

Please eff off you are a total loony.

Go on, tag them:-)

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Doctor Drivel"
saying something like:

Please eff off you are a total plantpot.

Very sad

Please eff off you are a total plantpot.

Ah, you're back.

I think "escaped" was the word you were looking for

(one flew over the drivels nest)

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Grimly Curmudgeon
writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Doctor Drivel"
saying something like:

Please eff off you are a total plantpot.

Very sad

Please eff off you are a total plantpot.

Ah, you're back.

I think

Maxie! Do not think! It is not good for you at all. Remember the voices
the last time you did this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Doctor Drivel
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Doctor Drivel"
saying something like:

Please eff off you are a total plantpot.

Very sad

Please eff off you are a total plantpot.

Ah, you're back.

I think

Maxie! Do not think! It is not good for you at all. Remember the
voices the last time you did this.

Ah - so that's what they took you in for this time

I would have thought that you shouldn't have these problems after they
fried your frontal lobes

Trepanning is your next step - let the evil sprits out

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Doctor Drivel
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Doctor Drivel"
saying something like:

Please eff off you are a total plantpot.

Very sad

Please eff off you are a total plantpot.

Ah, you're back.

I think

Maxie! Do not think! It is not good for you at all. Remember the voices
the last time you did this.

Ah - so that's what they took you in for this time

I would have thought that you shouldn't have these problems after they
fried your frontal lobes

Trepanning is your next step - let the evil sprits out

Cor Maxie! You know all these things. Fantastic! What a man. What a man.
So, Maxie have you stopped swearing to people in the street yet?