Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bathroom Ceiling Paint

Anyone care to recommend a good paint for a newly-plastered bathroom
ceiling? Resistant to moisture/mould etc. Low tendency to drip would be
good too, as I have a newly-fitted bathroom below it.

Any advice on actually doing the job welcome too; don't think I've
painted a ceiling before.

Cheers,

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 17:27:02 +0000, Pete Verdon
d wrote:

Anyone care to recommend a good paint for a newly-plastered bathroom

Time.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1110208AAJ0bEh
He said to always use an oil based paint or an enamel specified for
kitchen and bath

And new plaster
http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects...newplaster.htm

ceiling? Resistant to moisture/mould etc. Low tendency to drip would be
good too, as I have a newly-fitted bathroom below it.

Drop cloths.
Don't use the best sheets else she'll kill you. If you've got nowt
sensible either nip to the diy sheds and buy one or go to the charity
shop nearest and see what they've got. Or you could tape paper over
everything.

What did the plasterer say about sizing the plaster and how long to
leave it?

Any advice on actually doing the job welcome too; don't think I've
painted a ceiling before.

Don't wear your best glasses. Wash your hair shortly after. Expect to
find paint in places you didn't think had been exposed to paint (Your
elbow! cheeky!)

Cheers,

Pete

--
http://www.halloweenfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 4, 5:27*pm, Pete Verdon
d wrote:
Anyone care to recommend a good paint for a newly-plastered bathroom
ceiling? Resistant to moisture/mould etc. Low tendency to drip would be
good too, as I have a newly-fitted bathroom below it.

Any advice on actually doing the job welcome too; don't think I've
painted a ceiling before.

Cheers,

Pete

vinyl silk rather than matt, cleans better.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...esistant_Paint

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Pete Verdon
d writes
Anyone care to recommend a good paint for a newly-plastered bathroom
ceiling? Resistant to moisture/mould etc.

I've always just used standard emulsion paint. If it damp enough for
mould, or the paint peels, then you need better ventilation. I doubt
'special' paint will stop the mould.

Low tendency to drip would be good too, as I have a newly-fitted
bathroom below it.

Emulsions seems much of a much-ness re dripping. a brush will be less
messy than a roller, you tend to get a bit of a spray from a roller.,
but harder work and slower. I generally prefer to use a roller on a pole
so I can do it from the floor. A hat keeps it out of your heair.

Cover the suite, floor etc. with polythene sheeting, dust sheets etc.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote:

Emulsions seems much of a much-ness re dripping. a brush will be less
messy than a roller, you tend to get a bit of a spray from a roller.,
but harder work and slower. I generally prefer to use a roller on a pole
so I can do it from the floor. A hat keeps it out of your heair.

Big paint pads on a long handle work very well - smoother and faster
than a brush, and no spray.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/09 17:27, Pete Verdon wrote:
Anyone care to recommend a good paint for a newly-plastered bathroom
ceiling? Resistant to moisture/mould etc. Low tendency to drip would be
good too, as I have a newly-fitted bathroom below it.

Any advice on actually doing the job welcome too; don't think I've
painted a ceiling before.

Cheers,

Pete

Allow new plaster to dry out thoroughly to pale pink colour.

Apply mist coat of emulsion. Let it dry fully.

Apply coat(s) of Dulux Trade Supermat. Allow to dry between each coat.

If you are getting mould, then that suggests that there is inadequate
ventilation in the bathroom after bath/shower. So open windows or fit
extractor fan though that might have been better done before new ceiling
went up?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed wrote:
On 04/11/09 17:27, Pete Verdon wrote:
Anyone care to recommend a good paint for a newly-plastered bathroom
ceiling? Resistant to moisture/mould etc. Low tendency to drip would
be good too, as I have a newly-fitted bathroom below it.

Any advice on actually doing the job welcome too; don't think I've
painted a ceiling before.

Cheers,

Pete

Allow new plaster to dry out thoroughly to pale pink colour.

Apply mist coat of emulsion. Let it dry fully.

Apply coat(s) of Dulux Trade Supermat. Allow to dry between each coat.

If you are getting mould, then that suggests that there is inadequate
ventilation in the bathroom after bath/shower. So open windows or fit
extractor fan though that might have been better done before new ceiling
went up?

I've never had a problem with undiluted Crown emulsion on newly
plastered ceilings. I have had trouble with Dulux though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble
wibbled on Thursday 05 November 2009 08:42

I've never had a problem with undiluted Crown emulsion on newly
plastered ceilings. I have had trouble with Dulux though.

What sort of trouble Stuart? Did it fall off?

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim W wrote:
Stuart Noble
wibbled on Thursday 05 November 2009 08:42

I've never had a problem with undiluted Crown emulsion on newly
plastered ceilings. I have had trouble with Dulux though.

What sort of trouble Stuart? Did it fall off?

Yes, the roller was pulling it off as fast as it was putting it on. It
was just too thick basically, and it seems the viscosity was created by
entraining cheap (i.e. heavy) minerals. It certainly was non-drip but at
the cost of not performing well on porous surfaces.
OTOH the last lot of Crown I used was thinner and went on like a dream
straight from the can. The own brand B&Q was much the same IIRC.
The practice of thinning emulsions is not a good idea IMO, despite what
the manufacturers say, because the added water isn't truly incorporated.
Think diluting custard :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
. ..
Tim W wrote:
Stuart Noble
wibbled on Thursday 05 November 2009 08:42

I've never had a problem with undiluted Crown emulsion on newly
plastered ceilings. I have had trouble with Dulux though.

What sort of trouble Stuart? Did it fall off?

Yes, the roller was pulling it off as fast as it was putting it on. It was
just too thick basically, and it seems the viscosity was created by
entraining cheap (i.e. heavy) minerals. It certainly was non-drip but at
the cost of not performing well on porous surfaces.
OTOH the last lot of Crown I used was thinner and went on like a dream
straight from the can. The own brand B&Q was much the same IIRC.
The practice of thinning emulsions is not a good idea IMO, despite what
the manufacturers say, because the added water isn't truly incorporated.
Think diluting custard :-)

Hi again folks! I'm in the process of painting my son's replastered
ceilings (all artex'd and he couldn't stand it!). I'm doing it for an Xmas
pressy, 'cos I've got plenty of time and no cash!! ;-))

I tried various ways, brushes, pads, etc. The plasterers suggested diluting
the first coat of emulsion and then a couple of coats of "normal".

I found, after experimenting, a good roller with a *foam*-sponge
roller-thing (whatever it's called!) - foam-sponge works the best, trust me.
Extended handle, standing on the floor. First coat diluted about 30% or
more with water, mixed well in a paint-pot (with a stick, that's all...and
don't need to be exact, just water it down some) first, followed by 2 normal
coats. Cover everything with sheets, etc. and wear a hat. I'm managing to
do it making very little mess, using Crown non-drip b/white. Don't overload
the roller, not much spray, and only got one huge gob on my nose!!

All the coats going on a treat, and cover when dry is very good.
Good luck!!!

Barb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed wrote:

If you are getting mould, then that suggests that there is inadequate
ventilation in the bathroom after bath/shower. So open windows or fit
extractor fan though that might have been better done before new ceiling
went up?

I don't have a serious mould problem; there are a few flecks of it on
the old ceiling but not much. The new bathroom incorporates an always-on
heat-exchanging fan, which ramps up to boost mode when the shower is
used (flow switch on the pipe and a timing module to keep it running for
a while after). So I don't anticipate a problem but thought that an
additive in the paint would be a useful piece of string to my existing
belt and braces.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

snip

The practice of thinning emulsions is not a good idea IMO, despite what
the manufacturers say, because the added water isn't truly incorporated.
Think diluting custard :-)

/snip

Emulsion paint is not a true solution (e.g. like salt dissolved in
water). It is a colloidal suspension. Even so, it can be diluted with
no problems if it is stirred thoroughly during the addition of the water.

Same with custard: add water in small amounts and incorporate fully by
stirring between each addition. But don't paint the ceiling with
this... it is sure to come off :-))