Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ant Ant is offline

Default hansgrohe ibox for beginners !

Hi,
I'm about to refit the bathroom and have opted for an ibox,
thermostatic mixer, raindance airplate and exafill s bath filler. (all
hansgrohe)
As a novice at this, I've got a couple of questions which are probably
basic..

1) I was planning to fit 22mm speedfit pipe around the whole bathroom
and use as little 15mm as possible. Given the
ibox/mixer/bath and shower would all be concealed plumbing, made sense
to me to use 22mm for all in/outs to the ibox to keep as large a bore
as possible for as much of the system as possible (albeit with more of
a struggle to route pipes)...I'd obviouslyu need to convert the 3/4"
ibox fitting to a 22mm pushfit, but would plan to only redcue to 1/2"
at the last possible point for the shower head (since the exafill is
3/4" and my hot and cold pipework from the pump is all 22mm)

Ibox instructions however say I should use 1/2" for Hot and Cold inlet
and for the shower (i.e use the 3/4" to 1/2" sleeves supplied with
the ibox to reduce 3 of the ibox ports leaving the last port 3/4" for
the exafill).

Looking at the internals of the ibox, although the ports are 3/4", the
internal diameter of the manifold is reduced,
so is there any reason not to simply plumb my 22mm hot and cold feed
straight in with a 22mm-3/4" mail coupler as opposed to
reducing it to 1/2" then fitting a run of 15mm pipework ? Seems to me
the manifold is going to reduce everything down anyway, so
why bother reducing it outside of the ibox...

Similarly for the shower head, why would I follow the ibox
instructions and reduce the ibox port to 1/2" then run 1/2"
pipework up to the shower head when I could just run 22mm (with a
3/4"-22mm male coupler at the ibox) up to the shower head
and reduce to 1/2" at the ceiling mount (withh a suitable 22mm-3/4"
eblow + 3/4" to 1/2" reducer)?

2) purely out of interest..can anybody give a basic simpleton
explanation of why I need to use the temporary plug to block off
the exafill whilst flushing the pipework out during installation ?
From my understanding I could just open up the isolators
on my dedicated hot and cold feeds in the airing cupboard to flush hot
through the shower and cold through the exafill simultaneously...
job done for the whole system.....the ibox instructions seem to over
complicate flushing a bit of water through 2 pipes to me so I must
be missing something somewhere !

thanks,
Ant.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ibox instructions however say I should use 1/2" for Hot and Cold inlet
and for the shower (i.e use the 3/4" to 1/2" sleeves supplied with
the ibox to reduce 3 of the ibox ports leaving the last port 3/4" for
the exafill).

Maybe the instructions mean at least 15mm, so that you don't try to
plumb it in something too small? I can't see why using 22mm shouldn't
work, but why not do everything in 15mm, as that should supply enough
water anyway?

2) purely out of interest..can anybody give a basic simpleton
explanation of why I need to use the temporary plug to block off
the exafill whilst flushing the pipework out during installation ?
From my understanding I could just open up the isolators
on my dedicated hot and cold feeds in the airing cupboard to flush hot
through the shower and cold through the exafill simultaneously...
job done for the whole system.....the ibox instructions seem to over
complicate flushing a bit of water through 2 pipes to me so I must
be missing something somewhere !

Without seeing the product I can't say, but normally it's to make
absolutely sure that rubbish doesn't get where it shouldn't. If the
manufacturers have gone to the trouble (and expense) of supplying a
plug, it must do something!

dan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A few years on and I have the exact same questions. I want to keep as few joints in walls with zero access once tiled as possible. I was worried about loss of pressure on the 3 jet shower head using 22mm pipe as they go on a lot about the rain drop technology stuff it uses. Anybody have any experience with these hansgrohe ibox and 3 jet shower heads. It would be greatly appreciated. Regards Jim.

Question about Hansgrohe 06116 Aaron Fude Home Repair 2 August 2nd 15 05:44 PM
SketchUp Tutorial for Beginners Chiefwoodworker Woodworking 0 May 21st 08 03:53 PM
Another hansgrohe shower question... Colin Wilson UK diy 2 April 16th 08 01:02 AM
Hansgrohe mixer tap Andy MCR UK diy 6 February 16th 06 01:33 PM
A Video for Beginners (a bit long) Fred Holder Woodturning 1 September 30th 03 09:37 PM