Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default painting over varnish?

Hi all
I have an old child's wooden toy that I'd like to do up. It is currently
varnished and I'd like to paint it. Would it be best to strip it down
totally (nitromors etc.), or is a good sanding followed by primer etc.
likely to be OK?

The varnish is not one of those shiny 'flooded over the surface' type
layers, more of a thin satin layer, if that makes sense.

Thanks for advice.

Cheers
J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Nov, 08:29, The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi all
I have an old child's wooden toy that I'd like to do up. It is currently
varnished and I'd like to paint it. Would it be best to strip it down
totally (nitromors etc.), or is a good sanding followed by primer etc.
likely to be OK?

The varnish is not one of those shiny 'flooded over the surface' type
layers, more of a thin satin layer, if that makes sense.

I've used a product called ESP (Easy Surface Prep) which is a breeze.
Ideally, you give the surface a light sanding to get rid of nibs and a
bit of a key. Then follow the instructions:

http://www.floodaustralia.net/factfiles/esp.pdf

We had our banisters and handrail replaced, and I did the strings with
ESP and they look boss.

Edward
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 4, 8:29*am, The Night Tripper wrote:
Hi all
* * * * I have an old child's wooden toy that I'd like to do up. It is currently
varnished and I'd like to paint it. Would it be best to strip it down
totally (nitromors etc.), or is a good sanding followed by primer etc.
likely to be OK?

The varnish is not one of those shiny 'flooded over the surface' type
layers, more of a thin satin layer, if that makes sense.

Light sanding + paint. If you haven't sanded down to bare wood, you
don't need the primer.