Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Push-fit water waste pipe ?

Hi,

The waste water pipe from the bathroom sink passes through the wall
into a 90 degree bend on the external wall. Now as far as I can tell
the bend is a push fit rather than a screw threaded type used on other
waste water pipes at my house. Now this makes the fitting very "slim-
line". However, the bend is partially "embedded" within a mortar
rendering and the external "down" pipe has worked loose. I have pushed
the external pipe back into the bend (tricky because it is jammed
behind a vertical soil pipe). However, I don't think the pipe has
fully "engaged" in the bend and I'm pretty sure it will work loose
again. What's the best way to repair this permanently? I'm thinking of
chipping away the morter and replacing the bend with some other
fitting - but I'm not sure what to use or whether there is a much
simpler way to make a good repair.

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks

Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive wrote:
The waste water pipe from the bathroom sink passes through the wall
into a 90 degree bend on the external wall. Now as far as I can tell
the bend is a push fit rather than a screw threaded type used on other
waste water pipes at my house. Now this makes the fitting very "slim-
line". However, the bend is partially "embedded" within a mortar
rendering and the external "down" pipe has worked loose. I have pushed
the external pipe back into the bend (tricky because it is jammed
behind a vertical soil pipe). However, I don't think the pipe has
fully "engaged" in the bend and I'm pretty sure it will work loose
again. What's the best way to repair this permanently? I'm thinking of
chipping away the morter and replacing the bend with some other
fitting - but I'm not sure what to use

In my opinion the final result should be a solvent-weld joint. Made
properly (and it's not especially hard) this will be permanent, robust,
and neat. However, you can only weld to the right kind of pipe, and if
your existing pipe really is push-fit then it will not be suitable.

That said, push-fit sounds a slightly unusual choice in your situation,
and I wonder whether it's actually a solvent-weld fitting that wasn't
properly welded and has failed. I had something similar on the front of
my house; you could push the pipe into the socket where it would stay
for a while before falling out again. When I finally got round to fixing
it I cleaned up the inside of the socket and the outside of the pipe
with fine sandpaper, and welded it properly. It's been completely solid
since.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Verdon wrote:

In my opinion the final result should be a solvent-weld joint. Made
properly (and it's not especially hard) this will be permanent, robust,
and neat.

I'd agree with that. I recently discovered the major contributor to a damp
problem in our kitchen was a leaking push fit waste elbow with the joint
embedded in the mortar just below the outside surface of the wall.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Pete Verdon
d writes
Clive wrote:
[...]

Just to add, solvent weld (ABS or muPVC) have slightly different nominal
sizes from pushfit (polypropylene) so will not inter-mate reliably but
universal compression waste connectors will make the join happily
between the two if you have to cut out part of the old piping and mate
it up with the new.

Solvent weld is defo the best for a through the wall situation like
this.
--
fred