Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Carpet grippers

Evenin chaps and ladies

I'm in the process of fixing up a room and everything is done. Except the
carpetting. I got a quote today from carpet right for carpet and fitting etc
and the guy said I can save some money putting the grippers down and the
underlay. The underlay they sell is £4.99 a SQ metre!!! and the carpet
runners are about £2/19 a sq metre so I popped into B&Q who sell packs of
carpet runners cheaper and underlay I think it was £45 for 6.1m of green
medium underlay which shall do.

I have never fitted carpet runners or underlay and wanted some advice.

The floor its going on has hardboard down. How far from the wall does the
gripper need to be pinned down ? also when you get the the corner or the
length your working on how do you set the grippers up does it just have to
butt up next to the one already laid or ... ?

Also I need to carpet the stairs, where would I mount the grippers on stairs
?

I'd appreciate any advice, as I'm on a tight budget to be honest and this is
my weekend to do it all ... I have just discovered which way round the
hammer goes

Thanks kindly all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dubber" wrote in message
Evenin chaps and ladies

I'm in the process of fixing up a room and everything is done. Except the
carpetting. I got a quote today from carpet right for carpet and fitting
etc and the guy said I can save some money putting the grippers down and
the underlay. The underlay they sell is £4.99 a SQ metre!!! and the carpet
runners are about £2/19 a sq metre so I popped into B&Q who sell packs of
carpet runners cheaper and underlay I think it was £45 for 6.1m of green
medium underlay which shall do.

I have never fitted carpet runners or underlay and wanted some advice.

The floor its going on has hardboard down. How far from the wall does the
gripper need to be pinned down ?

About 1/2" or the width of your fingers

also when you get the the corner or the
length your working on how do you set the grippers up does it just have to
butt up next to the one already laid or ... ?

Doesn't need to butt up precisly ... just next to it will be fine

Also I need to carpet the stairs, where would I mount the grippers on
stairs

You need to be a bit more careful on this one and for safety I'd leave it to
the fitters.

I'd appreciate any advice, as I'm on a tight budget to be honest and this
is my weekend to do it all ... I have just discovered which way round the
hammer goes

Thanks kindly all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Try

http://www.tradepriced.co.uk/how_to_..._underlay.html

and

http://www.abbey-carpets.co.uk/page.php/fitting-carpet

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ash" wrote in message
. uk...
Try

http://www.tradepriced.co.uk/how_to_..._underlay.html

and

http://www.abbey-carpets.co.uk/page.php/fitting-carpet

Very helpful. Thanks Ash

One question what kind of tape do you use to stick the underlay side by side
with ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

One question what kind of tape do you use to stick the underlay side by
side with ?

I use some wide General Purpose Masking Tape and I'm quite happy with the
results

Ash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

One question what kind of tape do you use to stick the underlay side by
side with ?

Of course you can go for the professional tapes if you prefer ....

http://www.tapes-direct.co.uk/index....ghqppu31vafa37

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dubber
writes
Evenin chaps and ladies

I'm in the process of fixing up a room and everything is done. Except the
carpetting. I got a quote today from carpet right for carpet and fitting etc
and the guy said I can save some money putting the grippers down and the
underlay. The underlay they sell is £4.99 a SQ metre!!! and the carpet
runners are about £2/19 a sq metre so I popped into B&Q who sell packs of
carpet runners cheaper and underlay I think it was £45 for 6.1m of green
medium underlay which shall do.

I have never fitted carpet runners or underlay and wanted some advice.

The floor its going on has hardboard down. How far from the wall does the
gripper need to be pinned down ? also when you get the the corner or the
length your working on how do you set the grippers up does it just have to
butt up next to the one already laid or ... ?

Is the hardboard rough side up or smooth? If smooth, I would add more
staples to make sure it stays put. I tape the joins with duct tape.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 23, 7:48*pm, "Dubber" wrote:
Evenin chaps and ladies

I'm in the process of fixing up a room and everything is done. Except the
carpetting. I got a quote today from carpet right for carpet and fitting etc
and the guy said I can save some money putting the grippers down and the
underlay. The underlay they sell is £4.99 a SQ metre!!! and the carpet

If youre really on a budget you can use used carpet as underlay. If
dirty, clean and let dry first.

runners are about £2/19 a sq metre so I popped into B&Q who sell packs of
carpet runners cheaper and underlay I think it was £45 for 6.1m of green
medium underlay which shall do.

I have never fitted carpet runners or underlay and wanted some advice.

The floor its going on has hardboard down. How far from the wall does the
gripper need to be pinned down ?

1/4"

also when you get the the corner or the
length your working on how do you set the grippers up does it just have to
butt up next to the one already laid or ... ?

butt up or you can leave a small gap, doesnt matter. Have one of them
go full length.

Also I need to carpet the stairs, where would I mount the grippers on stairs
?

I'd appreciate any advice, as I'm on a tight budget to be honest and this is
my weekend to do it all ... I have just discovered which way round the
hammer goes

Thanks kindly all.

Couple of things to bear in mind when newly carpeting:
1. When you whack the carpet into the grippers, it moves a bit, so
dont cut the other side just yet.
2. Ensure room is empty, only then will you get the carpet laid out
flat

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message ...
[...]

Smooth side Fred. I'll pick up a staple gun tommorow aswell I think. I was
just going to tack it down with pins

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
On Oct 23, 7:48 pm, "Dubber" wrote:
[...]

I'm getting the horrible feeling its going to go wrong lol.

My plan is just to do grippers and underlay and leave the carpetting to the
man who knows

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dubber
writes

"fred" wrote in message ...

Is the hardboard rough side up or smooth? If smooth, I would add more
staples to make sure it stays put. I tape the joins with duct tape.

Smooth side Fred. I'll pick up a staple gun tommorow aswell I think. I was
just going to tack it down with pins

It should pretty much stay put but if you have kids running around at
50mph or if you're sliding furniture about it's nice if the underlay
stays in place. Next time you're boarding out put the rough side up to
grab better.

Get nice long staples & definitely get new stanley knife blades. Staples
hold better than pins.

For next time, I've found the service and prices at
http://www.tradepriced.co.uk/ excellent, check out the special offer
sections.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dubber wrote:
Also I need to carpet the stairs, where would I mount the grippers on
stairs

They're fitted at the back of the tread and the bottom of the riser - with
the teeth pointing towards each other. About a 1/2" away. The gripper can
go all the way to the wall side less a 1/2 in or so - but leave about 2"
at the bannister side so the carpet edge can be folded over - looks much
better than a cut edge, when viewed from the side through the spindles.
Stop the underlay at the same place too. The folded carpet edge will be
the same thickness. Of course if the stairs are enclosed or don't have
spindles etc you don't have to bother with the folded edge.

An electric stapler can save a lot of time when laying underlay etc. And
are often cheaper than a decent hand one.

One other tip is not to stint on the underlay unless you're expecting the
carpet not to last. Especially on the stairs. Some of the ribbed rubber
stuff doesn't last five minutes.

--
*Isn't it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice?"

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.