Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 2D Compact Fluorescent Bulbs

Sorry if this might not be DIY enough, but I was guessing that people
here would have opinions on the subject.

I am considering buying a number of flush light fittings, and the
favourite so far takes a 2D compact fluorescent bulb (2 pin FWIW). I was
wondering if there are any disadvantages I should be aware of. I am
particularly concerned about potential lack of availability in the
future. Anyone know if this style is currently getting more or les
popular, or if the EU is planning to phase it out through legislation?

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Slatcher writes:
Sorry if this might not be DIY enough, but I was guessing that people
here would have opinions on the subject.

I am considering buying a number of flush light fittings, and the
favourite so far takes a 2D compact fluorescent bulb (2 pin FWIW). I was
wondering if there are any disadvantages I should be aware of. I am
particularly concerned about potential lack of availability in the
future. Anyone know if this style is currently getting more or les
popular, or if the EU is planning to phase it out through legislation?

The current 2D lamps are below the minimum efficiency the EU plans
to allow. However, at least one manufacturer seems to think they
are sufficiently important that they are producing more energy
efficient retrofits, so I think you're safe in choosing to use them.
Their use is very widespread in commercial fittings. 16W, 28W, and
38W are common (energy efficient retrofits will be slightly lower
ratings). 10W and 21W are much less common and therefore might
become harder to find in the future (which is unfortunate, because
I use these in some luminaires I have designed myself).

2D lamps can be mounted in any orientation, but if mounted vertically,
the loops should be at the top. They are available in 2-pin versions
with a built-in starter for mains series ballasts, or 4-pin versions
for electronic control gear.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.engr.lighting

[cross posted to sci.engr.lighting for any further comments]

In article ,
Steve Slatcher writes:
Sorry if this might not be DIY enough, but I was guessing that people
here would have opinions on the subject.

I am considering buying a number of flush light fittings, and the
favourite so far takes a 2D compact fluorescent bulb (2 pin FWIW). I was
wondering if there are any disadvantages I should be aware of. I am
particularly concerned about potential lack of availability in the
future. Anyone know if this style is currently getting more or les
popular, or if the EU is planning to phase it out through legislation?

The current 2D lamps are below the minimum efficiency the EU plans
to allow. However, at least one manufacturer seems to think they are
sufficiently important that they have started producing more energy
efficient retrofits, so I think you're safe in choosing to use them.
Their use is very widespread in commercial fittings. 16W, 28W, and
38W are common (energy efficient retrofits will be slightly lower
ratings). 10W, 21W, and 55W are much less common and I guess might
be less likely to be replaced by energy efficient retrofits (which
is unfortunate, because I use these in some luminaires I have
designed myself).

2D lamps can be mounted in any orientation, but if mounted vertically,
the loops should be at the top. They are available in 2-pin versions
with a built-in starter for 240V series ballasts, or 4-pin versions
for electronic control gear (dimmable with suitable control gear).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y,sci.engr.lighting

Many thanks for the helpful reply, Andrew.