Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Convector Heater Settings

I got a Delonghi electric convector heater that has a thermostat
adjuster which I set so that the room is about 21 degrees C.

It also has a power output selector that offers 4 heat options: Min,
Med, Max, Max with fan.

Does it matter which of these power outputs I select since the heater
will always switch itself off when the room temperature has reached the
level as dictated by the thermostat.

Any advice on what would be the most cost effective setting?

Ed

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed wrote:
I got a Delonghi electric convector heater that has a thermostat
adjuster which I set so that the room is about 21 degrees C.

It also has a power output selector that offers 4 heat options: Min,
Med, Max, Max with fan.

Does it matter which of these power outputs I select since the heater
will always switch itself off when the room temperature has reached the
level as dictated by the thermostat.

Any advice on what would be the most cost effective setting?

Ed

extra power makes things warm up faster, that's all.

The lower the power the more likely it is you can achieve a comfortable
*even* temperature at a _lower_ setting.

fans are useful to stir air around its true. Helps get it even.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed wrote:
I got a Delonghi electric convector heater that has a thermostat
adjuster which I set so that the room is about 21 degrees C.

It also has a power output selector that offers 4 heat options: Min,
Med, Max, Max with fan.

Does it matter which of these power outputs I select since the heater
will always switch itself off when the room temperature has reached
the level as dictated by the thermostat.

Any advice on what would be the most cost effective setting?

Ed

extra power makes things warm up faster, that's all.

The lower the power the more likely it is you can achieve a comfortable
*even* temperature at a _lower_ setting.

fans are useful to stir air around its true. Helps get it even.

So perhaps the max/fan output setting might be best to stir the heat
about and ensure that the whole of the room get up to the temperature as
set by the thermostat rather that a warm localised area about the heater
region?

Ed

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 13:27:08 +0100, Ed wrote:

So perhaps the max/fan output setting might be best to stir the heat
about and ensure that the whole of the room get up to the temperature as
set by the thermostat

It will bring the room up faster and give more of an "instant warmth"
effect. Once up to temperature it shouldn't make any difference which
setting you use assuming that the lower power ones have enough power
to replace the heat faster than it is being lost.

Whats the difference in cost between:

3kW for 20 mins
or
1kW for 60 mins

Nothing, both are 1kWhr of energy consumed. The latter may give
better comfort as the room temperature will vary less. So on that
basis I'd use the lowest setting consistent with maintaining the room
temperature.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 13:13:14 +0100
Ed ex@directory wrote:

I got a Delonghi electric convector heater that has a thermostat
adjuster which I set so that the room is about 21 degrees C.

It also has a power output selector that offers 4 heat options: Min,
Med, Max, Max with fan.

Does it matter which of these power outputs I select since the heater
will always switch itself off when the room temperature has reached the
level as dictated by the thermostat.

Any advice on what would be the most cost effective setting?

Ed

One should not forget the Noise. Fans are good, but usually not
silent. Not a cost issue, but then not all things are governed by cost.
R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed ex@directory wrote:

I got a Delonghi electric convector heater that has a thermostat
adjuster which I set so that the room is about 21 degrees C.

It also has a power output selector that offers 4 heat options: Min,
Med, Max, Max with fan.

Does it matter which of these power outputs I select since the heater
will always switch itself off when the room temperature has reached the
level as dictated by the thermostat.

Any advice on what would be the most cost effective setting?

Ed

One should not forget the Noise. Fans are good, but usually not
silent. Not a cost issue, but then not all things are governed by cost.
R.

Noise is not a problem. This Delonghi heater is whisper quiet even wif
the fan.

Ed

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 14, 1:13*pm, Ed ex@directory wrote:
I got a Delonghi electric convector heater that has a thermostat
adjuster which I set so that the room is about 21 degrees C.

It also has a power output selector that offers 4 *heat options: *Min,
Med, Max, Max with fan.

Does it matter which of these power outputs I select since the heater
will always switch itself off when the room temperature has reached the
level as dictated by the thermostat.

Any advice on what would be the most cost effective setting?

Ed

lower setting: longer warm up times, more fan noise, more even temp
distribution in the room, slightly less thermostat hysteresis,
possible to use lower rated extension lead or run more appliances
without overloading anything.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
o.uk...
On 14/10/09 16:15, TheOldFellow wrote:

One should not forget the Noise. Fans are good, but usually not
silent. Not a cost issue, but then not all things are governed by cost.
R.

Noise is not a problem. This Delonghi heater is whisper quiet even wif
the fan.

I brought a timer for mine which I thought was quiet, but at night I can
here it ticking
so had to get an electronic one. I would have thought even a whispering fans
might be too loud in the bedroom, especially as you'll probably be listing
to it cycle
off-on, those sort of quiet on-off things wake me up.