Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Default STicking silicone to plastic waste pipe

Last year I did a bit of renovation in my downstairs bog, including
tiling the floor. The old sink waste was copper which was basically
mortared into a hole in the concrete floor to connect to the drain. I
put a stub of plastic pipe with a compression connector into the 'new'
hole (ie through the tiles and the concrete) and sealed it around with
silicone.

Now I've come back to this job after a pause (yes I know it's a while
but there have been other things happening!) and I've found that the
silicone fills the space around the pipe well, but didn't stick to the
plastic. Clearly not ideal for the long term, or even the short term
as I need the pipe to be firmly held to connect the sink outlet to it.

So....Does anyone have any bright ideas for making the silicone stick
to the pipe? I'm guessing that the problem is that the pipe is too
smooth and perhaps roughening it up a bit with some coarse sand paper
might do the job, but I'm hoping there might be a chemical/glue or
other approach I don't know about.

Cheers
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:
[...]

Try one of the new generation grip & seal jobbies Cerasit FT101 or Nail &
Seal. They bond pretty much anything.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On 9 Oct, 19:40, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
GMM wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that Dave. I'll get some and see if it does the trick!

Silicone and plastic waste pipes GMM UK diy 2 August 14th 09 06:56 PM
Plastic waste pipe Bald eagle UK diy 3 January 5th 09 10:58 AM
Waste pipe plastic uPVC or MuPVC? David in Normandy UK diy 6 December 11th 07 11:21 PM
Sticking plastic nospam UK diy 10 December 21st 06 04:38 PM
Joining Plastic Waste pipe to Lead pipe tinklemagoo UK diy 3 February 19th 04 05:34 AM