Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Props for chimney breast

Hi.
I've got a gas fitter coming tomorrow to install a hole in the wall
gas fire. The present height of the wall opening is probably not high
enough to allow the new fire to sit entirely above the (6") skirting board
which is the result I'd like to achieve.

Do gas fitters take on this type of job?

Thanks.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi.
I've got a gas fitter coming tomorrow to install a hole in the wall
gas fire. The present height of the wall opening is probably not high
enough to allow the new fire to sit entirely above the (6") skirting board
which is the result I'd like to achieve.

Do gas fitters take on this type of job?

Thanks.

Arthur

Is this a flueless fire or living flame? If the latter I think it comes
under HETAS regulations i.e. hearth 2" above floor level and no skirting
boards crossing the chimney breast. Chimneys in older houses are also
quite likely to fail the smoke test and need a flue liner fitted. Can be
an expensive business and HETAS fitters are thin on the ground.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble
wibbled on Thursday 08 October 2009 08:11

Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi.
I've got a gas fitter coming tomorrow to install a hole in the wall
gas fire. The present height of the wall opening is probably not high
enough to allow the new fire to sit entirely above the (6") skirting
board which is the result I'd like to achieve.

Do gas fitters take on this type of job?

Thanks.

Arthur

Is this a flueless fire or living flame? If the latter I think it comes
under HETAS regulations i.e. hearth 2" above floor level

The HETAS chap who's doing my stove said I could have a level hearth. He
just wanted 300mm clearance to all combustable surfaces. In fact I've seen
a fair few stoves installed level with the floor.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On 7 Oct, 19:26, "Arthur 51" wrote:
I've got a gas fitter coming tomorrow to install a hole in the wall
gas fire. The present height of the wall opening is probably not high
enough to allow the new fire to sit entirely above the (6") skirting board
which is the result I'd like to achieve.
Do gas fitters take on this type of job?

The wall opening may be able to be enlarged if there is some spare
space between the current opening and the lintel. If however the
lintel has to be raised then that requires a builder - and possibly a
separate Building Regs application to demonstrate the work will be
structurally safe.

Thanks.
The front wall of the chimney breast is a single leaf and the lintel seems
to be
a short piece of RSJ across an opening currently about 40cm wide.
I think it will be a simple job to raise the rsj a couple bricks higher.

Arthur

chimney breast mike[_4_] Home Repair 8 September 15th 07 06:20 PM
Chimney breast question Dave Phillips UK diy 9 April 17th 05 10:08 PM
chimney breast removal spearatune UK diy 2 September 10th 04 12:16 AM
Skimming Chimney Breast Ric UK diy 6 September 6th 04 04:20 PM
Sealing old chimney breast John Anderton UK diy 4 April 24th 04 09:17 PM